Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ofisil

Custom Textures & Vanilla Source Ports?

I know how to create and add custom textures for a wad. No probs on that part.

Whenever I try to run a Wad in a vanilla-type port, though (DosBox, Chocolate Doom, and so on) it crashes/never loads

I've FOUND a solution (import all texture names from the IWAD)... I just want to know if its actually a STUPID solution.

thanx.

Yes, the TEXTUREx and PNAMES lumps are not cumulative in vanilla, meaning only the last one loaded will be read, so it has to contain the texture definitions for all the textures you want to use. That's why one of the options in SLADE when creating a new TEXTUREx lump is to import from the IWAD.

5 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

You can use TEXTURE2 with the new textures. This does not interfere with TEXTURE1.

You can, but you still need to generate a PNAMES file containing both the old textures and the new ones, so TEXTURES2 is functionally a bit useless since it doesn't really save any work. Now if DOOM had a PNAMES2 file, that'd be the easiest solution for custom textures. But since it doesn't, it's more of a curiosity than anything that useful.

1 hour ago, Gradius said:

....  but you still need to generate a PNAMES file containing both the old textures and the new ones, ....

In both cases, Slade3 does generate a PNAMES lump.

34 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

This stuff just makes me wanna fire up WinteX for the hell of it.

Yup. There are some people who still like to drive a Model T.  :)

7 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

Yup. There are some people who still like to drive a Model T.

Or, perhaps, an old-fashioned mule.

Throwing one more question here since u all look so knowledgeable :)

Why is it that sometimes a custom texture appears like... half its size? (only in vanilla again)

Imagine for example a typical marble Demon face, that seems to stop and loop somewhere after the nose, instead of rendering the whole texture.

Does patch or texture size matters? Do I need to use only 128px tall ones?

Edited by Ofisil

Yes, the vanilla texture drawer can only handle 128-pixel tall columns at most. In fact, it's hardcoded to tile textures vertically every 128 texels -- so this is also a source of visual glitches if you put a texture shorter than 128 pixels on a tall wall.

I suppose you tried using a 256-tall demon face, and only get to see the upper 128 half. You can work around that in the same way that id Software did for the Icon of Sin: instead of using a solid wall and its midtexture, split your texture in two, make a thin sector with zero height, use the upper half on the higher texture and the bottom half on the lower texture.

Yeah, good idea.

By the way, no I made a 192 wide *96 texture. I guess I have to create a 128 high texture and just put it in a shorter sector to hide the rest.

You can use a shorter texture without issue as long as you don't put it on tall enough walls.

As for width, there's no real limit AFAIK. The Doom engine can handle very long ones without issue. In fact in one of the alpha versions (v0.4 to be precise), most of the textures were extra-long because they had not yet implemented horizontal tiling, so they played it safe by making their textures long enough to cover the entire span of any wall in their levels...