Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillsaw

Heartland - final version available on idgames

5 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

To answer your question without starting a flamewar: Yes. There's a few differences but theyhave the same approach to how they work. The key difference is that Eternity's portal specials in UDMF are significantly different to GZDoom's, using UDMF to define portal IDs.

Ooh, I'll have to experiment with this then! :D Thanks for the answer.

Edit:

Yeeeeeeeeep, all the tricks that work in GZDoom work here! It took some mental reordering, since Eternity handles it a little differently, but it's much easier to setup overall.

Edited by Snarboo : Research!

4 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Ooo, Git commit message style. Do you happen to have used Git, by chance? :p

They're just common bullet points...

Very, very glad I took the time to get Eternity working because this is the best thing I've played in a long time. Just finished Map 03, which feels like map 06 from AA on steroids. This has the feel of a lost Build Engine game. Dammit, just when I was beginning to be able to play things other than Doom a Skillsaw set comes along and causes a relapse.

So I just created an account just to post about this WAD.  So cool so far.  However, I seem to be trapped in Map 3.  Not sure what happened.  I drained the pool and made my through and then outside.  Somehow got back into that center pool area again and can't seem to find my way out.  No switches to hit, unless I'm blind.  Something closed but I can't reopen.

Also, on Eternity, I can't find an option for 2560x1440 resolution?  I found a setting that seems to work well but seems strange I can't find that common resolution.

16 minutes ago, JrayBlade said:

Also, on Eternity, I can't find an option for 2560x1440 resolution?  I found a setting that seems to work well but seems strange I can't find that common resolution.

You type your resolution, you don't need to pick it from a list. Just type 2560x1440F (the F indicating Fullscreen).
image.png.64ef4f2556c5e0d8c49744b47deef31a.png

31 minutes ago, JrayBlade said:

So I just created an account just to post about this WAD.  So cool so far.  However, I seem to be trapped in Map 3.  Not sure what happened.  I drained the pool and made my through and then outside.  Somehow got back into that center pool area again and can't seem to find my way out.  No switches to hit, unless I'm blind.  Something closed but I can't reopen.

It's possible that you ran into the same softlock the stx-vile reported yesterday. It happens if you hit the switch behind the RK door after opening up the path that leads out of the bottom area. I've fixed the bug locally and will have that up soon.

Just played the first 2 maps and died on map03, this is fantastic so far! I have an unfortunate mouse issue where the movement feels very "floaty" in Eternity, which seems to be no fault of it's own - in PrBoom strains and GZDoom I've also had this persistent issue of mouse movement that can't "start and stop on a dime". It's odd because Vanilla, Choco, Zand, ZDaemon and Odamex never seem to have this issue, I can move my mouse as spazily and jankily as I want and there's zero float and it always stops dead soon as I quit moving my hand. No idea why this small handful of ports behave differently..

The levels though, they are seeming great so far. I just got this rush of a feeling like I was on an adventure when I hopped across the support beams on map02.. Gonna just accept the mouse issues and play through anyway, it's too good NOT to!

@DoomkidGo into mouse settings and try set the acceleration type to be "Choco" or w/e. You might find that to be more to your liking.

Thanks! Capped the framerate and set acceleration to "choco" and now it feels perfect!

Fired it up and am getting EE configured, and starting out with akimbo pistols? Well that's already a winner! One question though how do I stop the mouse from moving me I just need it to turn.

10 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

If using the 4.02.00 release there'll be a menu option in the mouse menu called "novert emulation". If it's a devbuild there'll be one with more obvious wording, something like "disable vertical mouse movement".

@Eric Claus

53 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Thanks! Capped the framerate and set acceleration to "choco" and now it feels perfect!

My god this is a game changer, thank you for asking about this.

Wow! Just quickplayed a few minutes and it's really impressing!

Quick tip: If you put "?dl=1" at the end on the download links, the file will download directly instead of showing the content on a Dropbox webpage.

I just finished, and it was great! Maybe Skillsaw's best mapset, and that's already a tall order. Music and new weapons are great too, I loved map07 music. In fact, about the weapons, can you @Xaser do a gzdoom port for the weapon set? I found it very interesting how the different were the PG and the BFG replacements.

I can only complain that the final fight was a bit too easy, I think some of the previous fights on the same map were a bit harder.

@skillsaw I found a point in map01 where I could got into a corner but then got stuck there and couldn't leave or move at all. 

I ran into that bit in the gas section area that's a tight corner between the truck and the wall by accident; I think I managed to get in because I had a quite of speed and was moving at an angle, but then I couldn't get out or even move.

Spoiler

image.png.a6057b0bb4db9f5d85762b850168c2b8.png

I have a trouble running Heartland (both rc1c and rc2) in latest EE (master) built under Linux.

When I try to start the game, after choosing difficulty the map never loads and console says:

MAP01: Subway Sandwich

TEXTMAP error at 5:10 - Expected ;

after assignment: 'MAP01'

I run the game like this:

./eternity -iwad ~/Wads/DOOM2.WAD -file ~/Wads/heartland_rc2.pke

Regular DOOM2 WAD works just fine.

The latest commit is

$ git log -n1
commit 9e8cc5f2410ed784a919d49fb97eea59e77d60de (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
Author: Max Waine <bobishmax@hotmail.com>
Date:   Fri Mar 5 01:50:14 2021 +0000

Change maximum pitch up/down to 45 degrees either way

i might be dumb/blind/both but after i destroyed the heart in map07 nothing seemed to happen. is this a bug or not? i was also saving midfight so that mightve caused this (if this is a bug)

edit: it turns out i was blind, everythings good

Edited by reverie

Firing this up, I was quite impressed with how far Eternity has gotten, that it can do all this crazy stuff that... I'm pretty sure GZDoom can't? Moving trains???

Anyway, I'm absolutely in love with how this is structured, clever use of portals to give more verticality. Disappointed by the use of the nefarious Catharsi enemy (sorry, just a personal gripe there).

MAP01 kicked my ass (in HMP, wow I suck), so I haven't been able to dig deeper, but so far, this is looking like a real gem.

4 minutes ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

I'm pretty sure GZDoom can't? Moving trains???

Aren't there 3D floor polyobjects? Heck, I vaguely recall something like that in eev.ee's blog about Doom mapping.

13 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

@DoomkidGo into mouse settings and try set the acceleration type to be "Choco" or w/e. You might find that to be more to your liking.

Thank you, this helped me a lot, too. I thought it was a sensitivity issue. Now it feels perfect with the default Doom sensitivity

54 minutes ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

MAP01 kicked my ass (in HMP, wow I suck), so I haven't been able to dig deeper, but so far, this is looking like a real gem.

Map02 actually seems to be a bit easier than map01, except for the part where you get to the top. 

finding the megasphere and soulsphere double secret in the gas station in map01 might help you out and they're not too hard to find as long as you just take the time to look around.

These maps have easily the most impressive use of portals that I've seen in Doom so far, especially the moving trains sequence at the beginning.  Like Ancient Aliens and Eviternity, it's probably going to be one of those ground-breaking releases that will inspire mappers to explore new possibilities with the Doom engine - in this case utilising portals to nearer their full potential. 

I've done a bit of research and yes, moving trains are possible in GZDoom - someone created a more primitive example of a moving train to use as a base at https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&amp;t=63453 - but so far, to my knowledge, nobody has attempted anything quite on the scale seen here.

The original post should be updated to mention that Heartland features new enemies as well.

I don't know if this was intended, but the big red door on MAP04 opens entirely to one side instead of splitting like the others in the level. It just seemed a bit inconsistent.

14 minutes ago, Turbine2k5 said:

I don't know if this was intended, but the big red door on MAP04 opens entirely to one side instead of splitting like the others in the level. It just seemed a bit inconsistent.

Thanks. I have now corrected this oversight. The double doors are way better.

I've been messing with Slade and I found out that in the game files there are animation sprites and edf coding for an entirely new monster called the "Tortured Soul". It's an edited Pain Elemental that releases a cloud of noxious gas when killed. The monster itself is perfectly functional and you can even summon it with console commands. But for whatever reason, it went completely unused in the campaign. Any reasons for that, Skillsaw ?

Edited by D.Vile

7 minutes ago, D.Vile said:

I've been messing with Slade and I found out that in the game files there are animation sprites and edf coding for an entirely new monster called the "Tortured Soul". It's an edited Pain Elemental that releases a cloud of noxious gas when killed. The monster itself is perfectly functional and you can even summon it with console commands. But for whatever reason, it went completely unused in the campaign. Any reasons for that, Skillsaw ?

The Tortured Soul is an EDF port of a monster from Realm 667. I guess I never bothered trimming it from the resource.

There is a bit of challenge when using custom monsters and weapons in a short, 7 map episode. I don't want to introduce too many new things too quickly. Originally, nine maps were planned, so I would have introduced the Tortured Soul in one of the cancelled maps.

Encountered a bug on MAP05 with the conveyor belts. I died moving in the opposite direction from when you walk onto the belts, and reloaded right before, but the crushers stopped moving and stayed down, making it impossible to get through. It doesn't change even if I reload the game.

Edit: Loading a previous save or quitting and reloading have not fixed this issue.

Edit 2: I reloaded the map and IDDQD'd over, and reloaded a test save after getting crushed (while the crusher is in a down position) and the bug is repeatable.

Edited by Turbine2k5 : Added troubleshooting