Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

Prettiest video game water?

I usually find video game water to be a mixed bag. It either looks good or it resembles jelly (or an opaque polygonal mess with early 3D titles).

What video game water do you find the prettiest?

It’s surely been well and truly surpassed by now, but Mario Sunshine held the “nicest looking video game water” title for damn near 10 years. Just looked so natural and clean compared to everything that had come before.

EDIT: Sharing a video just to show how absurdly good it was for 2002 standards:

Edited by Doomkid

Sea of thieves easy.

JUST LOOK AT IT!

Spoiler

image.png.b2449f96b0c3d6cca55cb0ab09e53015.png

AND IT MOVES LIKE WATER AND IT SHINES LIKE WATER AND HAS SCARY ASS MONSTERS LIKE WATER AND ITS BLUE LIKE WATER AND SOMETIMES ITS GREEN LIKE WATER AND IT HAS BOATS LIKE WATER AND

Always liked the way Source water looks, so Lost Coast is a good candidate here:

6a617v46ohp21.png

The water in Skyrim always looked quite nice to me.

The first time I saw Unreal's waterfall, it blew my mind. It hit me that we've truly hit the peak of graphics.

lol.

18 hours ago, Doomkid said:

It’s surely been well and truly surpassed by now, but Mario Sunshine held the “nicest looking video game water” title for damn near 10 years. Just looked so natural and clean compared to everything that had come before.

EDIT: Sharing a video just to show how absurdly good it was for 2002 standards:

The first game that really wowed me with the water. Now it's just kind of a given that your water should look like... well... water. And I know there's games that have done water better since then, but what they managed to do with the Gamecube was nothing short of amazing. Super Mario Sunshine ruined water for me forever.

But let's not forget about Catacombs Abyss:

4.png

Seriously, those levels scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Phantasy Star Online had pretty amazing graphics when I played it on Dreamcast, while there were only little streams and small bodies of water in the Forest and Caves areas.  Later versions got nicer, more expansive stuff.   PC and GameCube shown here.  Nothing you can swim or boat in though.   You can just splash around in the shallow stuff.

psowater.jpg.aec491844ce28c4c72ff63e97a1f1456.jpg

Older versions of Doom Legacy had some nice stuff for a bit, inspired by the Amiga game Alien Breed 3D which I've never seen.   Apparently Sonic Robo Blast 2 TC reimplemented and improved it so I'll have to check that out.

Edited by Gokuma

Of course the best water is water from the modern FPS.

But if you think about creatures from water, I prefer to Fluid Alien from Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold

maxresdefault.jpg

On 3/7/2021 at 10:08 PM, Redneckerz said:

BoQzLqdCYAAtmkJ?format=jpg&name=orig

God I remember this dude. I wonder what happened to him. Is he still reviewing video game water on his own corner of the Internet? Who knows...

Also, gotta mention Noita. The liquid physics in this game are insane.

ThoroughFewCockatiel-size_restricted.gif.7b8d17231a5c507bfcd8a9f6553803b6.gif

I was going to say Sea of Thieves too. The water is distractingly beautiful in it. 

KeenUnsightlyFlyingfish-size_restricted.

Details like the way the sunlight scatters through it at the peak of the waves is a frankly ridiculous level of detail for a multiplayer game, but absolute credit to them for putting the effort in.

5 hours ago, Bauul said:

I was going to say Sea of Thieves too. The water is distractingly beautiful in it. 

KeenUnsightlyFlyingfish-size_restricted.

Details like the way the sunlight scatters through it at the peak of the waves is a frankly ridiculous level of detail for a multiplayer game, but absolute credit to them for putting the effort in.

That is some gorgeous water.