Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
netnomad312

When offsets don't work...

What do you do when offsets don't work? I've learned to use them for crates, like in a crate pile you can climb. Like this (B is big crate area, M is medium crate area, S is small crate area):

BBBB
BBBBS
BBBBMM
BBBBSM
^
You climb on the first small crate, then onto the medium-sized crate, then use the small crate on there to get on top. But there are some definite issues with textures; the crate the arrow is pointing to can't have its texture (CRATINY) and the medium texture (CRATELIT) at the same time. So I made a new texture called CRATEDBL which does that. On that side, I use CRATEDBL. But on the linedef next to it, I use CRATELIT, with an X offset of 16. But the offset doesn't work. That linedef always shows the start of a crate.

Also, there are two crate sides (on other, normal crates) where the textures are displayed as if they had X offsets of 32. I put X offsets of 32 on them to cancel this out, but there was no effect. What could be wrong?

First off, are you using WA?

if so I have had a similer problem and it turned out to be the internal node builder. try using a better node builder like BSP or Zenode.

No, although that would certainly fix the problem. I don't see what the node builder would have to do with it though. Of course, the only thing I know about node builders is that they do something with the number of textures to be displayed so Doom can run faster. So you'd reccomend BSP?

I now have BSP 5.0, and I set Wadauthor to use it instead of its own node builder. But what command do I use to make sure it does the wad file I'm editing? All it does is show me the options screen.

Look in your wauthor.ini file. You should see this:

ExternalNodeBuildShow=1
NodeBuilding=2
ExternalNodeBuildCmd=bsp.exe $_Wadfile $_Wadfile

You can access all this through the WA Tools/Options menu, Files tab. Check "external node build", you also probably want "show external node build".

Bsp.exe needs to be in the same folder as the wad you are editing. I tried having bsp.exe in the wauthor folder, no go.

I have WA set to use Zennode 1.1.0 and it runs fine with external node building selected and with this command in the command box:

zennode $_Wadfile map$_Wadmap

With this, Zennode will work on the current wadfile and on the current map only - as you're building a DooM 2 megawad, this will work fine. (this assumes Zennode is in the same folder as WA, but you can have it somewhere else if you want, just add the folder name to the front)

Don't get the one from the editor pages here (it's an earlier version, which doesn't work in WA), make sure you get version 1.1.0 from here.

netnomad312 said:

Still no go. Says I have too many arguments.

I can't imagine why, it works fine for me. Maybe it's an issue with BSP versions....I found version 2.3 to work as explained here.