Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Keen

What do you want id to do next after Eternal?

6 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Wishful thinking here but I'd love to see a modern classic style Doom similar in what we've seen done with Streets of Rage 4 and Sonic Mania.

The new Doom games have attracted new fans to the older games so it's perfect time to to least try this. 

That sort of goes back to what i keep saying about how much Doom fans done over the years and id ever letting them do special spin-offs or collabs.

Even if it came as a "paid mod" or "paid fangame" at least one that still somewhat respects fans, both creators and consumers.

1) For Ancient Gods pt 2 They should let the Slayer have his own Sentinel Wolf (like the one the Marauder has), and we should get our own Slayer Mech, like the kind just in the background otherwise

2) Proper PC Modding Support + Classic Arena Deathmatch for Doom Eternal

3) A new IP. It would be way too tempting to simply remake Quake 1 or 2, and I'm almost certain that's what they're planning on, but I would much prefer a completely new IP that, like Quake did originally following Doom 2, builds upon and expands the stellar combat Doom Eternal has. 

I'm not that surprised, but somewhat disappointed by all the clamor for "MORE OF THE SAME." I see this everywhere, and it's been going on for over a decade now, at least.

I'm genuinely curious, what is it about reboots/remakes that people like so much? I get from the company's perspective it's low risk, it's got established brand name and nostalgia is easy to market to, but why do the consumers instantly jump at the prospect? Why would you want to play or watch or listen to something almost identical to what was there many years ago? The original is still just as solid now as it was then. Is it just for higher fidelity graphics? If so, shouldn't you want some new, innovative gameplay or story to complement those newer graphics?

For me personally, I generally prefer the graphics a game had at release to any remaster, because the original is a sort of time capsule; a product of its era, and that era can be the present again when I play it. That, and older graphics have much smaller file size. My HDD is always near full, so file size really comes at a premium these days.

26 minutes ago, QuaketallicA said:

I'm not that surprised, but somewhat disappointed by all the clamor for "MORE OF THE SAME.

If it ain't broke.....

2 hours ago, QuaketallicA said:

If so, shouldn't you want some new, innovative gameplay or story to complement those newer graphics?

Well, if someday a Q1 reboot is made, looking to what happened to D2016, it's certainly not gonna be just a Q1 with new graphics. New things mixed with old things is what makes it exciting. Some may like more new things than old things, some may like more old things than new things, but the general idea is that: mixing fresh stuff with the game's "essence".

I want id to buy the Twisted Metal franchise and create the most badass TM game ever. That game has some serious potential, just imagine the amount of depth the guys at id can add to it.

Edited by MrHofmann

On 3/4/2021 at 7:06 PM, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Another Strogg space war Quake.
I see people asking for a new classic Quake, but really, what would it be besides a reskinned Doom Eternal? 

We don't need another fantasy shooter. The timing and technology is just right to get back to Stroggos and make a huge sci-fi war game with legions of soldiers fighting each other.

Make it a mix of Strogg and Lovecraft. Finally connect the two games.

If they make a new quake game I hope they can contain themselves and just let the world itself tell a backstory and maybe let the players come up with their own conclusions and theories about things instead of completely demystifying the setting with a bunch of collectable lore entries. Mystery is cool, speculation is fun

7 minutes ago, Robot_Joe said:

If they make a new quake game I hope they can contain themselves and just let the world itself tell a backstory and maybe let the players come up with their own conclusions and theories about things instead of completely demystifying the setting with a bunch of collectable lore entries. Mystery is cool, speculation is fun

Thats true, too much Lore is bad.

The Word demystifying is exactly what i feel in many Games nowadays.

You don't have to explain everything, let it in the Dark.

Explaining Hell in a Way Mortals can understand takes away the Horror.

It should stay in the Dark.

18 hours ago, Eurisko said:

If it ain't broke.....

If id had followed that logic in the late 90s, we'd have about 50 different Doom games by now, and we'd be as sick of the series as something like Call of Duty. Instead, they delivered Quake, Quake 2, Quake III Arena, and Doom 3, which are all distinct shooters, each with their own sort of personality, aesthetic, and feel. Imagine what more could exist if we did not limit ourselves to endlessly redoing what has already been done. Rage 2, for example, while far from original in concept (open world game) or setting (Fallout), is a pretty great shooter because it applies id's brand of shooting to a different style of FPS than what they've done previously. 

I'm not saying they have to reinvent the wheel or anything--again, Quake and Quake II are all improvements on the original Doom formula. But they are definitely distinct and memorable, not just endless Doom clones that churn out the same game year after year.

3 hours ago, QuaketallicA said:

If id had followed that logic in the late 90s, we'd have about 50 different Doom games by now, and we'd be as sick of the series as something like Call of Duty. Instead, they delivered Quake, Quake 2, Quake III Arena, and Doom 3, which are all distinct shooters, each with their own sort of personality, aesthetic, and feel. Imagine what more could exist if we did not limit ourselves to endlessly redoing what has already been done. Rage 2, for example, while far from original in concept (open world game) or setting (Fallout), is a pretty great shooter because it applies id's brand of shooting to a different style of FPS than what they've done previously. 

I'm not saying they have to reinvent the wheel or anything--again, Quake and Quake II are all improvements on the original Doom formula. But they are definitely distinct and memorable, not just endless Doom clones that churn out the same game year after year.

Thats a fair comment though I was just extending from my original statement that I'd like to see a new episode done in a modern way. Even if they just did one to celebrate the upcoming 30th anniversary of the series.

Whatever they do next, I hope it does not involve crunch.

Heck, I would welcome new official IWADs on the Doom Engine if that is what it takes for Id Software to avoid such despicable practice.

12 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Whatever they do next, I hope it does not involve crunch.

Heck, I would welcome new official IWADs on the Doom Engine if that is what it takes for Id Software to avoid such despicable practice. 

I wouldn't say no to a retro IWAD. It could be a cool breather project between bigger projects, as it would only probably take a few months. It'd also be neat to see both classic mappers (like Romero) with newer id talent team up to create an old school IWAD. They could even add in some new monsters and weapons, but all with that classic vanilla gameplay.

Just call it DOOM III with Roman numerals, as if no other Doom games were ever made.

(On that topic, I really liked SIGIL and would love to see some Doom II levels from Romero.)

Edited by Captain Keen : typo

On 3/7/2021 at 10:32 AM, QuaketallicA said:

I'm not that surprised, but somewhat disappointed by all the clamor for "MORE OF THE SAME." I see this everywhere, and it's been going on for over a decade now, at least.

I'm genuinely curious, what is it about reboots/remakes that people like so much? I get from the company's perspective it's low risk, it's got established brand name and nostalgia is easy to market to, but why do the consumers instantly jump at the prospect? Why would you want to play or watch or listen to something almost identical to what was there many years ago? The original is still just as solid now as it was then. Is it just for higher fidelity graphics? If so, shouldn't you want some new, innovative gameplay or story to complement those newer graphics?

For me personally, I generally prefer the graphics a game had at release to any remaster, because the original is a sort of time capsule; a product of its era, and that era can be the present again when I play it. That, and older graphics have much smaller file size. My HDD is always near full, so file size really comes at a premium these days.

I have reservations about simply rebooting Quake. It really is a product of it's time. Maybe, if anything, going down it's original, less Doom-like design would be a little more interesting?

That said, 90's arena shooters are my absolute favourite games, so I kind of don't want a new id IP to stray too far from that either, especially since I'm a console player now and don't have access to the maligned QC or even the current communities for old shit like UT99 etc

9 hours ago, Captain Keen said:

I wouldn't say no to a retro IWAD. It could be a cool breather project between bigger projects, as it would only probably take a few months. It'd also be neat to see both classic mappers (like Romero) with newer id talent team up to create an old school IWAD. They could even add in some new monsters and weapons, but all with that classic vanilla gameplay.

Just call it DOOM III with Roman numerals, as if no other Doom games were ever made.

(On that topic, I really liked SIGIL and would love to see some Doom II levels from Romero.)

I was told Tom Mustaine is still doing business with Id Software, so maybe this could be his chance!

When i think of prequel material, i'm surprised they haven't considered one taking place between 2016 and Eternal, just to show how Doomguy got his Fortress of Doom and maybe if he had some fun adventures along the way. (i think they mentioned codex entries portrayed as a comic book but that might be false memories at this point)

Seeing new id make a classic Doom wad is like how a MachineGames dev made a Quake mapset.

Not sure about how they can add new enemies/weapons, unless they find some ways around limitations, considering how the Unity ports are developed differently from fan ports. (DEHACKED is a thing now, at least)

Sprites and visuals are another thing too.

I also wonder if that sort of collab is how they get to let Romero release other assets and if a "classic Doom 3" is how they get to toy around with the Doom bible/alphas/betas etc.

Could also be an excuse to reinterpret ideas from later games in a very different style and execution.

Could also lead to collabs with fans and modders, even to reach a new level of fanservice to please both later/casual fans that didn't know they would like something and the more "purist" minded ones that could be open to something.

7 hours ago, whatup876 said:

When i think of prequel material, i'm surprised they haven't considered one taking place between 2016 and Eternal, just to show how Doomguy got his Fortress of Doom and maybe if he had some fun adventures along the way. (i think they mentioned codex entries portrayed as a comic book but that might be false memories at this point)

I read/heard somewhere that they have considered a game, but decided against it as they'd have to figure out which weapons/abilities to give the player, and figure out how to take them away from the player at the end to lead into Eternal. The massive time gap between 2016 & Eternal was able to lend itself to the 'getting rid of the weapons' part quite easily. Of course, memory is fallible and I don't remember when/where I heard/read that. But that's more of why they they chose to extend Eternal's setup forward into new areas. 

That said, maybe they will make an between game. How would you propose they build it, considering how many Eternal players have said that they can't go back to 2016's style of combat & movement.

I personally feel that a game between 2016 and Eternal would be difficult to pull off, because it really limits what you can do. I'd rather they do a new IP or post-Eternal Doom content.

52 minutes ago, Rytrik said:

That said, maybe they will make an between game. How would you propose they build it, considering how many Eternal players have said that they can't go back to 2016's style of combat & movement.

Maybe have a game where you mechanically go from Doom 2016-style gameplay to Eternal's gameplay?

7 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Maybe have a game where you mechanically go from Doom 2016-style gameplay to Eternal's gameplay?

Wsn't that the beginning of Eternal? 2016 ended off with double jump, and you started with double jump in Eternal & built the rest of the kit onward. So what would a 'between game' bring to the table in terms of mechanics?

@Captain Keen is spot on. A game between 2016 and Eternal is incredibly limited. With Eternal & post-Eternal, they have a lot more room to fly. 

Man, I just wanted them to have in-air control as part of the default movement. It just feels bad to play without it once you get used to it.

One enemy idea i wondered about is a "hologram" demon but i also thought of an Imp that can multiply into 4 and you have to shoot the "main Imp" to automatically kill others.

If you kill the wrong Imp, said Imp just vanishes like a clone/copy, so you waste more ammo.

They can still attack you, so it's like a Naruto inspired Imp.

Also, if an Arachnotron or SMM ever get 8 legs, they could be faster but shooting them down to 4 makes them slower.

Something original this time around. A new IP. Maybe a survival horror game in the vein of Silent Hill.