Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pompeji

If you could add one single demon to Doom, what would it be?

Personally, I had an idea for a unique enemy inspired by some of the maggots you encounter in the Metal Slug games. Basically, it's a gross looking eyeball that rolls on the ceiling towards the player. When they get within melee range, they drop down from the ceiling and explode violently, killing themselves and dealing massive damage to anything in the blast. Comparable to a rocket launcher blast. 

Here's a picture of the demon, poorly drawn in MS Paint, for a concept art. I was thinking since mouselook is traditionally off in commercial Doom maps, it would drip blood wherever it was so that the player would know something ain't right.

the dude.png

ok so my idea is like a sort of weaker cyber demon and it kinda acts like an ogre from quake and throws granades instead of rockets and has way less health

so its like the hell knight of the cyberdemon

Lost soul that when it dies, pulls the pain elementals death and spawns more lost souls.

13 minutes ago, ZeMystic said:

Lost soul that when it dies, pulls the pain elementals death and spawns more lost souls.

Lost soul that when it dies, spawns 4 pain elementals. When they die, they all spawn 4 more lost souls each. When those die, they all spawn 4 more pain elementals each.

Someone should make that a demon. Then put it in a wad called "Dead Simpler" where you're given infinite guns and ammo, and have to fight what you think is one lost soul...

All jokes aside, I wish there was a mother demon that didn't fly and spawned lost souls. "Pain Elemental" to me always sounded like something that would fuck you up on its own, but all it does is spit demons at you.

I'd probably add in an enemy that does some sort of lasting area-of-affect attack. Sort of like the cyber-mancubus in the new games.

I'm imagining like a land squid that just runs around and pisses flaming ink when it gets near you.

I feel like that placed in combination with other enemies from the roster could create some interesting fights.

2 minutes ago, HQDefault said:

I'd probably add in an enemy that does some sort of lasting area-of-affect attack. Sort of like the cyber-mancubus in the new games.

I'm imagining like a land squid that just runs around and pisses flaming ink when it gets near you.

I feel like that placed in combination with other enemies from the roster could create some interesting fights.

Doom has a huge lack of demons that SERIOUSLY keep you moving. Like okay you can flood an arena with hitscanners and projectile based demons but as soon as the player finds cover they can take a breather, or just use the cover to attack the enemy, reload the SSG, rinse lather repeat. Pinkies are the only true demon that keeps you moving because they rush you down- and they do a poor job of that by getting stuck on literally ANY gap, forcing the mapmaker to build a relatively flat arena.

I think your idea is incredible. I'd love to see a mutated demon, maybe call it a Bloat or something, and it leaves a short lasting trail of nukage behind it as it walks. It rushes you down, and when killed, leaves a puddle of said nukage.

6 minutes ago, HQDefault said:

Have you checked Doom 4 Vanilla?

I've been thinking about this very thing a lot lately, especially now that extended dehacked is a thing. Most of the ideas I have are about filling niches in Doom's bestiary, and while I can't narrow it down to just one, here are three I've considered:

• Another low health, high damage monster like the Revenant. My current idea is a variant of the Revenant that fires shotgun blasts from its shoulder cannons instead, perhaps two Shotgun Guy attacks per cannon. This would add another hitscan enemy to the cast, as well as give them a rough Super Shotgun equivalent attack, which is the only weapon not used against you besides the BFG and Chainsaw.
  • More partially invisible monsters! Current ideas include a Hell Knight variant with less health I've dubbed a Hell Ninja, and a Revenant variant that I've dubbed a Boogeyman. :p This would also add more low health, mid tier enemies to Doom's cast.
  • A flying enemy that's roughly equivalent to an Imp. Not a single flying enemy fills this roll, and it would be fun to have a weak flying enemy to mow down that also poses a mild threat.

Of these three, I'd probably go for the fodder flying enemy first, followed by the Shotgun Revenant.

3 hours ago, Pompeji said:

since mouselook is traditionally off in commercial Doom maps,

You're wrong. Only up'n'down is a nogo, L/R is fine.

28 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

You're wrong. Only up'n'down is a nogo, L/R is fine.

I could be wrong, but isn't it generally understood that someone means the vertical axis when they write 'Mouselook'? That the horizontal axis isn't included under the umbrella term 'Mouselook'? Please someone feel free to correct me if that's not the general understanding on the forum.

Heretics Nitrogolem, Undead Warrior, Disciple of D'sparil, Iron Lich and Maulotaur together with Hexens Afrit, Bishop and Wendigo and Dragon Lich (and maybe Heresiarch) would all be good as an extra enemy for Doom :)

Something like the Sabreclaw from Heretic but they have a chainsaw as an attack but also are stronger and faster. They would be faster and harder to hit than the pink demon, but not much stronger than a Hell Knight. They could "saw" corpses to regain health or to add to their total health and perhaps destroy items the player left behind as well, making them a good "scavenger" to use as an ambush enemy if you think the player will backtrack.

Edited by alLAN95th

1 hour ago, Rytrik said:

I could be wrong, but isn't it generally understood that someone means the vertical axis when they write 'Mouselook'? That the horizontal axis isn't included under the umbrella term 'Mouselook'? Please someone feel free to correct me if that's not the general understanding on the forum.

They’re extremely easy to mix up, but “freelook” is the one that allows up and down. “Mouselook” is the standard Doom mouse control without up and down movement.

The Demons from Don Ivan Punchatz art. Which I've made just one sprite.

punchatz-dgf.png.5e1b84ad9a8bedd9113ab2403ea63968.png

And maybe the double cannon Cyberdemon from Doom 64 alternative cover.

22p4uzsotl261.jpg

I once made an enemy in DeHackEd from unmodified DOOM assets (specifically the hanging corpses) that would really slowly go towards the Doomguy. They flew, no-clipped through walls and they would rip you up the air when they came in melee range (I think I used the Archvile "throw the player upwards and do damage" state action for that attack).

I want Zerglings.. something small that's fast and lethal once it gets in close... Classic Doom's "melee niche" is kind of underpopulated in that the dedicated melees we have are not very interesting, and otherwise melee is just any given monster's secondary mode of attack...

I like that eviternity tried to address that niche with the beefed up demons it has, but those have the very same flaws as the usual ones have, so they were just slightly "better" and otherwise not interesting enough to fill a gap in the roster in the end... Valiant's demon replacement sort of did the same thing, but without the added redundancy, I suppose...

The classic demons work fine as "blockers", but they suck at applying damage.. Something fast and fragile, basically a "melee glass cannon" that can be used in larger quantities would be nice...

Rev with lost soul head, whole things on fire, flame area of effect damage and skull detaches on death and charges player. 

In Robocop when emil gets covered in nukage, damage when killed close up and maybe slows player movement with melee attack

Plasma shooting armoured mastermind, make it invulnerable to damage from trons

Master Mancubus boss (Mancuboss?) with additional shoulder mounted seeker missiles

A floating teleport that spawns random enemies, self destructs when highest ranked enemy in map dies

Edited by Szymanski : added second monstie

35 minutes ago, TotalTS said:

The Demons from Don Ivan Punchatz art. Which I've made just one sprite.

Holy crap! Do you plan on making a complete spritesheet?

9 minutes ago, Szymanski said:

Rev with lost soul head, whole things on fire, flame area of effect damage and skull detaches on death.

I thought the same thing! In fact, I am surprised Id Software did not do that with the default Revenant.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

They’re extremely easy to mix up, but “freelook” is the one that allows up and down. “Mouselook” is the standard Doom mouse control without up and down movement.

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

2 hours ago, SOSU said:

Heretics Nitrogolem, Undead Warrior, Disciple of D'sparil, Iron Lich and Maulotaur together with Hexens Afrit, Bishop and Wendigo and Dragon Lich (and maybe Heresiarch) would all be good as an extra enemy for Doom :)

Isn't the Maulotaur basically Heretic's version of the Cyberdemon, but with varied attacks?

A cyberdemon that always fires inaccurately as if the player was partially invisible.

Plasma shooting, fast moving demon like the one in Ultimate Doom's Box art, and would fire a barrage of mancubus fireballs when you trigger it's pain state as a retaliation sorta like how the rev would fire his rockets when you go Mike Tyson on his ass w/ berserk sometimes.

3 hours ago, Snarboo said:

A flying enemy that's roughly equivalent to an Imp. Not a single flying enemy fills this roll, and it would be fun to have a weak flying enemy to mow down that also poses a mild threat.

wouldn't that just be a lost soul

3 hours ago, Pompeji said:

Doom has a huge lack of demons that SERIOUSLY keep you moving. Like okay you can flood an arena with hitscanners and projectile based demons but as soon as the player finds cover they can take a breather, or just use the cover to attack the enemy, reload the SSG, rinse lather repeat. Pinkies are the only true demon that keeps you moving because they rush you down- and they do a poor job of that by getting stuck on literally ANY gap, forcing the mapmaker to build a relatively flat arena.

i think that the beauty of doom's bestiary is partially due to that. no single monster can truly keep you moving at all times, but by combining them you can do so quite easily and in any which way that you want. each monster plays a part in a bigger thing, it's extremely flexible that way

13 minutes ago, roadworx said:

wouldn't that just be a lost soul

Augh, I forgot to mention that they would still launch fireballs! Think something like the Fire Gargoyles from Heretic without the charge attack.

49 minutes ago, BladeWolf said:

Isn't the Maulotaur basically Heretic's version of the Cyberdemon, but with varied attacks?

Not really, he is the second boss like the Cyberdemon but has less health and his attacks aren't at all simmiliar to him besides the fire line of death but it's only simmiliarity is it's chance to one shot the player.