Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lone2401

Dead Signal (wad) (New version available)

EDIT: updated version coming soon

EDIT 2: New version available!

Dead Signal is a single level wad for GZDoom 4.3.0 or newer

Uses the Doom2 Iwad, supports singleplayer and coop

Jumping, crouching, and freelook are all allowed, but none required.

This wad was created for the Doomworld Maximum project by @Obsidian

I used this as an opportunity to experiment with detail and lighting, looking to get feedback.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

na4k6r9.png

ZkxqmW2.png

zcW6tHz.png

pNBasQB.png

bnNhowp.png

hzd34K8.png

Download: Link New link

Edited by LoneAlpha2401

Dude this map rules! Stunning to look at and a lot of fun to play. It's like the lovechild born out of a threesome between Doom, Duke3D and Quake 2. I loved the texture work, the progression the combat, the new unique demon variants, everything was delicious. 10/10 :^)

@Biodegradable I agree! I had a lot of fun playing this map and it looks really good. The only things I would change are details!

@Silhou3tte Which door are you referring to exactly?

Very good; I do like industrial themed levels where stuff interacts with you; and the use of enhanced graphics is done in a way that doesn't make it feel 'not like Doom'. 9/10

Very cool map here! Loved all of the details and the different aliens, especially the ones stuck to the ceiling gave me an Alien movie vibe. All of the industrial and tech based stuff was a lot of fun. The lighting on top of the mainframe computers really stood out to me as well.

Spoiler

Really enjoyed the breakaway floor at an opportunistic time.

Here's my playthrough of this map:

I really like what you've done to create this good classic feeling map with some nice advanced features sprinkled in. The elements like sector glows/lighting, ambient sounds, 3d floors, etc are implemented in a rather reserved way that doesn't really seem to hint that this map may have been an experiment for you. It's overall a great example of how you can maintain a classic Doom feel while relying on some modern tech and detailing to spruce it up.

The map layout was really cool and exploration was fun. I like how multiple areas were reused and how the map looped back on itself multiple times. It's pretty linear overall, but that's not a bad thing. I did feel like the additional monsters didn't really add anything, and overall the combat was completely acceptable without being very noteworthy. Given the weapons I did find, plus the hint that a plasma gun was hidden somewhere I never discovered, I was really expecting a few of the traps to be quite a bit deadlier than they turned out to be. I also felt like there was some artificial difficulty in placement of the hitscanners outside that could snipe me a bit ridiculously in multiple rooms, and that outside of it it was pretty easy. I enjoyed the map overall though.

I like your style a lot and I'd be interested to see what else you end up doing with UDMF if you keep experimenting with it.

@LVENdead Glad you liked the wad, and I enjoyed your critique. I do have another wad but it doesn't focus as much on detail and visuals, more towards environmental storytelling.

Probably not a big problem, but GZdoom reports these texture errors during startup:

Invalid data encountered for texture deadsignal.wad:MYCUSTOM
Invalid data encountered for texture deadsignal.wad:MYEDITS
Invalid data encountered for texture deadsignal.wad:DOOMBETA
Invalid data encountered for texture deadsignal.wad:DARKBASE
Invalid data encountered for texture deadsignal.wad:QUAKE
Invalid data encountered for texture deadsignal.wad:D3RETRO

6 hours ago, LoneAlpha2401 said:

@LVENdead Glad you liked the wad, and I enjoyed your critique. I do have another wad but it doesn't focus as much on detail and visuals, more towards environmental storytelling.

Oh yeah, I actually remember that one! I got like 6 maps in I think and then got distracted at some point. I remember it being pretty cool, some of the layouts were kind of confusing but it did a lot of very interesting things with the GZDoom engine I really liked.

On 3/10/2021 at 3:12 PM, Caleb13 said:

GZdoom reports these texture errors

It's not a real issue, GZDoom just tries to read markers as textures and gives those errors.

Fantastic map I played this morning but could not figure out the pump thingy - here is part one I played badly and died a bunch

@Biodegradable had to explain to me how to progress and here is part 2, which is still processing - overall had fun good times - beautiful map

@Clippy  A few playtesters struggled with the whole "fire a rocket into the pipe" thing. I'll make a revision with a text prompt, but i'm not sure if @Obsidian would swap out the map.

5 minutes ago, LoneAlpha2401 said:

@Clippy  A few playtesters struggled with the whole "fire a rocket into the pipe" thing. I'll make a revision with a text prompt, but i'm not sure if @Obsidian would swap out the map.

It's creative and it's your call but that concept completely flew over my head personally haha

I had fun with the map. I think the archvile spawn in the slime pool bridge room can be tweaked though. Currently you can trigger the archvile spawn without jumping down the platform with the translucent railing. You can spam rockets through the railing and crouch away from the archvile's attacks this way. 

I think a target graphic with a small rocket icon in front of the pipe would look cooler.

Edited by SyntherAugustus