Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danlex

Lullaby [1.2 Update - 10/14/23] +Low Specs version

Strange bug for me - after picking up the red skull key the monsters in the glass didn't teleport, the baron switch didn't open, and I was completely stuck. Playing on HMP.

Hi! It's an excellent level, incredibly atmospheric, thank you! I've got a few problems though:1. invisible constructions on the 2nd floor (those 4 big separately standing bookcases, everything works but them) 2. monsters not spawning in the areas with keys after the key is taken, so no bars appearing to block the exit and subsequently no way to lift the bars in the previous room. At the same time no cyberdemons visible in the spheres in the key area (saw them in a video).

At 1st I blamed it on the Complex/LCA addons I ran with the level, it works fine apart from those problems

But when I ran Lullaby separately, the bookcases and the cyberdemons are still invisible, but spawning finally worked. 

What do you think is the problem? Is it possible to fix it and (ideally) fix the spawn when playing with Complex/LCA?

Thanks again

OK everything is working as intended, the problems were caused by an outdated GzDoom. Pity it doesn't work well with Complex/LCA

Damn, this looks amazing! Gonna be playing this right now.

EDIT: I just went through playing this level with The Trailblazer mod. I really love the color scheme throughout this level. It's pretty tough, but thankfully I had a decent arsenal to use in it lol.

Edited by Lizardcommando

On 2/17/2021 at 9:45 AM, VanaheimRanger said:

I haven't played Doom in a bit, and don't plan to until I have a VR headset for it, but this map is sitting in my ZDL load just waiting to be run in VR.

I finally got my VR headset this weekend.  Since then I have tried a few different Doom maps in VR including this one and Bastion of Chaos to stress test it and this map looks amazing in it (So did BoC, but in a completely different way, lol)!

I got a 4 part playlist up of this in VR.  I also used the LiveReverb mod for added immersion, but in the bigger battles it just made the fights into an audio caco-phony, lol.

I'm loving this map. Well done! 

Quick question: I've got a pretty new PC. Specs are: i79700, RTX3070, 16gb RAM. The opening area of Lullaby lags pretty hard in GZ doom. I'm playing at 1080p and my settings are relatively stock. Most of the rest of the level runs at a locked 144fps, but the opening area jumps between 100 and 40fps.

Any idea what I can do to fix this?

Magic map illuminatus colors and dark sky.I'm was enjoy played this.Look like stars night.                                  

6 hours ago, nobleflame said:

I'm loving this map. Well done! 

Quick question: I've got a pretty new PC. Specs are: i79700, RTX3070, 16gb RAM. The opening area of Lullaby lags pretty hard in GZ doom. I'm playing at 1080p and my settings are relatively stock. Most of the rest of the level runs at a locked 144fps, but the opening area jumps between 100 and 40fps.

Any idea what I can do to fix this?

I wish I could help you but I'm not sure about what can be done to improve the framerate in those areas. They also lag a lot in my PC and I noticed it while making the map, but I hoped that it was because I have a potato computer. I was a bit surprised to see that it also lags with new PCs like yours, but maybe someone else can help you.

Btw, I never said this before because I'm a bit shy and I'm not very active in the forums, but I want to thank everyone who played the map and everyone who recorded videos/streams and gave me feedback, also to everyone who mentioned the map for the cacowards. I really appreciate all the support this map received, it means a lot to me. There's some minor things in Lullaby that could be improved or totally changed in an update, but I decided to leave the map as it is for personal reasons. I still promise that I have been reading all your feedback, and it really helps me to improve as a mapper and to make better maps in the future.

1 hour ago, Danlex said:

I wish I could help you but I'm not sure about what can be done to improve the framerate in those areas. They also lag a lot in my PC and I noticed it while making the map, but I hoped that it was because I have a potato computer. I was a bit surprised to see that it also lags with new PCs like yours, but maybe someone else can help you.

Btw, I never said this before because I'm a bit shy and I'm not very active in the forums, but I want to thank everyone who played the map and everyone who recorded videos/streams and gave me feedback, also to everyone who mentioned the map for the cacowards. I really appreciate all the support this map received, it means a lot to me. There's some minor things in Lullaby that could be improved or totally changed in an update, but I decided to leave the map as it is for personal reasons. I still promise that I have been reading all your feedback, and it really helps me to improve as a mapper and to make better maps in the future.

You're a good dude, Danlex. I look forward to playing your future maps! You definitely deserve that cacoward!

Now I know I'm late to the party, but I just played this map after reading the Cacowards write-up about it. Some impressions follow below.

Obviously, the big draw here is the visuals, especially to me as someone whose favorite color happens to be blue. I loved how the use of blue (or cyan, I suppose) with the different shades of gray was the predominant aesthetic throughout - it's a combination that Just Works™. The architecture was a pleasure to look at and really creative in a few places, mainly thinking of the "warped library" room and the area with the Spider Mastermind fight. Those spinning wheels were a definite highlight as far as the visuals are concerned.

Gameplay on HNTR was generally not too hard but still had a decent amount of bite to it. The abundance of ammo is certainly not a bad thing, since it affords you plenty of choice as to which weapon to use for any given combat scenario. Perhaps a little too much choice, but I'm guessing that's not so much the case on higher difficulties. But in any case, every combat scenario was fun, perhaps the final fight being my personal favorite. Also, not necessarily directly related to the gameplay, but I liked the layout with its idea of branching off into different paths from a central hub of sorts - guess I just have a soft spot for that kind of design.

All that said, I did have a couple of minor gripes with the map. First, the relative lack of armor. While I understand not wanting to make the player feel too safe with an overabundance of armor pickups, I do feel that the map is ever so slightly too stingy with it. I went about half of my playthrough on 0% armor due to all the damage I ended up taking from fireballs and whatnot. Even just a couple more green armors would've been fine. Second, as @BoxY previously mentioned, the few doors with enemies right behind them almost inevitably turn into a game of "now you see me, now you don't" and are generally not very fun.

All in all, though, a damn solid and greatly enjoyable map. Between this and your Literalism submission, you're already becoming a sure addition to my list of favorite mappers. I'm looking forward to whatever you conjure up next. c:

Thanks MFG38, I completely agree with all the things that you and other people pointed out, but I hope the experience was still enjoyable regardless of those minor things. As I said in a post above, I will use all the feedback that I received in this thread to improve for my future maps.

Played this one today. A great "speed mapping" map xD.

Visually amazing, balanced difficulty and it's pretty fun.

Played this one over the weekend, and what more is there to be said about the visuals? It really raises the bar. This dreamland castle is quite the trip, its like a happy version of Bastion of Chaos (and not nearly as masochistic on UV). I really want to figure out how to do those .obj models now.

Gameplay is good too, nothing too stressful on UV, but still engaging the whole way through (minus the door issues that some people have mentioned). On my first playthrough I actually missed the switch at the start that gives you the RL and Plasma, and got a good chunk of the map done before succumbing to Arch-Viles, but that's no fault of the map design, I just have a talent for missing weapon pickups and obvious switches because I choose to do the non-obvious things first and then lose track.

Finding all the secrets makes a huge difference in the final arena - its definitely the most difficult fight in the map without the unlockable cache, and a bit trivial with it. Splitting rewards among 3 unlockable caches (one for each secret) would have been nice, most players probably won't find all the secrets without spoilers. Or maybe I just miss things, see above.

Overall this is a must-play, especially since its only 1 map and won't demand too much of your time. Looking forward to more non-orthogonal madness in the future!

Edited by ginc

Fantastic map and a brilliant showcase for what's possible with GZDoom these days. Besides that, a great idea for a level in general and certainly executed just the right way. I admit I was intimidated at first by its 500+ monster count even on ITYTD, but the encounters are spread out well and there's vast open spaces, providing you with more than enough maneuverability during combat.

Took me about 45mins to complete, btw (without finding the three keycards needed to unlock the BFG in the final area, which I actually didn't miss).

Extremely good map, heck I've even managed to make it playable with PB 3.0 compressing some textures, was surprised that my PC did not explode at the beginning

I cannot believe this one missed my gaze! 

I'll be playing it blind UV with no added mods this Friday; and I really think I'm in for a treat! 

If anyone would like to experience this with me; hope you're visit: 

Absolutely epic map @Danlex I cannot wait to give it another go! :D Stunning to look at, and I really enjoyed it. 

Trully a work to be admired. After Eviternity, i thought nothing could impress me more, but boy, i was so wrong

Stunning visuals and good encounters. Dare i say that the Caco + Mastermind and the final encounter( without the BFG) are some nasty ones.

Good job, you deserve the recognition>

And of course, i had to torture myself by beating this without safes and BFG...

bruh, for some reason when I run project brutality 3.0 with Lullaby.pk3 and a glory kill script, it puts me in the beginning room, then all of of a sudden I'm teleported and killed by a cyberdemon in a troll room, what the flip bro! 

16 hours ago, gaveno said:

bruh, for some reason when I run project brutality 3.0 with Lullaby.pk3 and a glory kill script, it puts me in the beginning room, then all of of a sudden I'm teleported and killed by a cyberdemon in a troll room, what the flip bro! 

Once I mixed some mods and this happened to me, I didn't understood why, haha.

Hey guys, guess what. This map crashes in the latest version of GZDoom :)

A few hours ago I got a message from @nobleflame letting me know about this, so big thanks to them.

It doesn't crash immediately after loading, it crashes a few second after the map starts, and the game doesn't show any error message, it just freezes and closes.

I don't know why this is happening, so if someone can help me I would really appreciate it.

This are our specs, in case you need them:

nobleflame's specs: i79700, RTX3070, 16gb RAM

my specs: i5-4460 @ 3.20GHz, 8gb RAM

Edited by Danlex

Absolutely stunning map.  Thoroughly enjoyed every second of gameplay on this one.