Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roadworx

what do you do when you can't get to sleep

what do you guys do when you can't sleep? like what you do to help yourself sleep, not look at your phone or whatever

getting to sleep is hard for me sooo it'd be nice to have some suggestions. hopefully others with the same issue find this thread helpful as well

I listen to guided meditation recordings (I can already hear the jeers and cringes from the crowd), they tend to be very helpful for me. Either that or I’ll play some old familiar “down home” YT nerd stuff that relaxes me, like danooct1 or early AVGN or something of that ilk.

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

YT nerd stuff that relaxes me, like danooct1 or early AVGN

Ah yes, falling asleep to the dulcet tones of a man screaming, "ASS!" at the top of his lungs.

Lmao, yeah, probably sounds crazy but I’m so familiar with it that it’s just like white noise at this point. There are many other better examples and the choice of familiar shows will be different for everyone ;p

i keep thinking about how much i fucked up in my life then i sleep

jokes aside sleeping when you have adhd is hell

When i have a good consistent sleep schedule (9pm - 5am) I sleep without and troubles and wake up full of energy.

When i don't, and that's most of the time, i wait untill i know i spent 16 hours awake, then start trying to sleep by first looking at whatever direction i'm facing and keeping my eyes open so that my eyes tire out after a while and i can sleep, when i am not sleepy i can't keep my eyes closed naturally and have to force them closed. Usually i don't mind "thoughts" when i'm in bed but just in case i try this occult meditation technique (i sound crazy :D) where i focus on imagining a circle and keep it for as long as possible, it's not as easy as it's sound :)

I just put on Netflix and watch some random show until my eyes strain and I just fall asleep (yes, the TV runs on for all the hours I slept, unless I wake up in the middle of the night to pee).

If I really want to sleep, I turn on either Cryo Chamber or the Dungeon Synth Archives, both lovely channels of ambience music. If I'm not that concerned with sleeping, I'll just get up and watch a movie or series. In some cases, I'll play Unreal or Age of Empires 2, those games tend to relax me.

I usually make some tea, and then watch something that was nostalgic for me, usually puts me out when i realize that a lot of stuff i liked as a kid was pretty bad. (Except doom lol).

Everybody is different so before you tell me this is terrible advice, consider the fact my body might be a lil wonky...

But I usually listen to metal with my headphones and have an energy drink. Caffeine weirdly doesn't keep me up but instead amplifies how much energy I feel like I have. If I'm full of energy and I have a monster, I'll be even fuller of energy. If I'm tired, it'll knock me out. Weird but it works.

I take a half a melatonin gummy. That stuff is awesome and has really solved my sleeping problems. It's completely healthy and natural. Wish I'd discovered this stuff 20 years ago. Now i can have 8 non - waking hours of deep sleep and dreams. No side effects at all. 

th.jpg

Heard a different things about. Starting from not eat many candies / sugar (I do a lot + usually put a 3 cup of one to a tea) and ending by not usuing phone / PC ~ 1 hour before sleep / making anything complex and go for a walk / go to sleep until 0:00 (if not not then problems to proceed some sleep hormones will be, or something like that, in case they only available till ~ 2:00).

Not sure that anything of that works for me especially, same as listeting to "relax" / ambient / such kind music. Usually things stick to a fact that I'm not bored enough / head is full of pressing thoughts (more often then others, I guess) / the regime of the day is completely gone out of control (sleep some hours at day time, etc.; fixing it time to time). So as result just doing nothing / read / watch / play something (including Doom) until want to go sleep.

So. Point is that you need to find and deal with the reason, not aftermath (can't sleep) to solve the trouble.

Edited by UnknDoomer

I know people say you shouldn't look at your phone but I always like to watch Youtube in bed until my eyes get too heavy to stay awake. Then I turn the phone off and I'm out in 5 minutes. Just remember to use a really strong blue light filter so you don't strain your eyes too much, and always lie on your side instead of sitting up against a pillow because that kind of tricks your mind into thinking you're asleep. Also, watch stuff you're familiar with or don't have to pay all too much attention to. I like watching decino's videos so you can just open your eyes once in a while and go "oh, he's at that part now... thaz nice...zzzzzzzzzzzz". Kinda the same sensation to counting sheep I suppose.

I usually watch decino, a dope doomtuber who’s videos also double as practically asmr, sometimes vinesauce, and occasionally a few analysis videos of whatever like RetroAhoy or other freelance ytbers w/ calming voices that dissect and talk about whatever interests me at night to put me to sleep.

Just now, DooM Bear said:

I remember this sleep thing you speak of... ah good times.

XD

Sleep Paralysis Demons: "Are you sure about that-"

Smash my head against the wall.

Na, just start watching something, by the time it finishes I'm probably already asleep, or chat with someone until my energy vanishes.

3 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

i keep thinking about how much i fucked up in my life then i sleep

jokes aside sleeping when you have adhd is hell

ugh, it really is. i could probably count the days i've actually had a good night's sleep with just my fingers

also, now that i think about it, it's probably the reason why i can't fall asleep while watching things

3 hours ago, Clippy said:

-snip-

what if i already have an oscillating fan in my room ):

1:14:00 (I think if you play the video you'll be at that time mark)

Edit: Sometimes my dog hops on my bed to sleep, so I move to my bed to sleep next to her. (I sleep in a hammock, I don't like beds that much)

Edited by Lol 6

If it’s bad, bad (like not just once in a while), it might be worth speaking to a doc about?

You could start with melatonin like @PeterMoro mentioned along with all the sleep hygiene stuffs and if that doesn’t work you can try other things :-)

I take low dose (25-50mg) quetiapine (the active in seroquel) for sleep and it works pretty well for me :-D Although I find it has some weird side effects the next day like not being able to form sentences properly or use more complex words when talking and what not but at least I don’t feel like I’ve been run over by a truck like I do the day after taking strong benzo’s XD

Try and stay away from the benzo’s unless they are for very occasional use as I found I built up a tolerance real fast and withdrawals sound especially nasty!

17 minutes ago, roadworx said:

what if i already have an oscillating fan in my room ):

Then you'll sleep twice as hard

Eat levomepromazine (i need to eat it anyway because i'm psycho) and watch Youtube or read a book until levomepromazine pokes.

I haven't had trouble falling asleep ever since I started playing some kind of multi-hour ambience video on YouTube; usually nature sounds such as falling rain, with or without gentle thunder depending on how I'm feeling, a Sahara sandstorm, wind in the trees, that kind of thing. If I'm in the mood for something else, then there's also a channel called Iron Cthulhu Apocalypse that does hours-long Dark Ambient mixes. I've also recently taken to falling asleep to the sounds of Blade Runner ambience:

"A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, a chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure."

I find darkness helps, so I switch off my monitors while playing ambience.