Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Huh? Doom 3 to be released in 2004

My brother regularly checks slashdot.com and he recently came upon a message claiming that id had recently announced that Doom 3 wouldn't be released until 2004. So he mailed me and told me about it asking me if that could be true.

I'll post a link here once I can get it from him, but I thought you people should know what people are 'whispering' about on the net.

Personally, I think it's a groundless rumour that some moron has spread, because it pretty much goes against everything we've heard about a "scheduled" release of Doom 3.

The idders have repeatedly stated that they're shooting for a 2003 release, Carmack doesn't want to show Doom 3 at another E3 and furthermore, it does not at all sound like id to just come up with such a 'definite' statement as "we won't release Doom 3 until 2004 - period".

So there you have my views, let's hear yours shall we?

Basically the release date is still "when it`s done".but they do set approximated release date to force themseleves concentrated on making game.So, even Carmack don`t want to show DOOM3 on another E3,but if the game is not living up to DOOM`s spirit yet,id should keep polishing DOOM3 until it be the worthy successor.

BTW,if id has really said that the release date will be "2004",it should be big news on major gaming news site already.

Dark-tenshi said:

BTW,if id has really said that the release date will be "2004",it should be big news on major gaming news site already.

That too.
Btw, your written English seems to be looking better and better ;-)

Didn't the big DOOM III 15 meter high poster they used on E3 say: "Coming in 2003" ?

Ok, found the link to a post there.

Seems that what is meant by it is basically that it is likely to be released sometime between April 2003 and March 2004 (the 2004 fiscal year).

Fredrik said:

It's slashdot.org not slashdot.com you ignorant, uninformed, insensitive clod.

Don't make me call down the dark vengeance of CowboyNeal upon you, many-headed troll.

If they have any respect for themselves they will release their remake the 10th of December of 2003.

myk said:

If they have any respect for themselves they will release their remake the 10th of December of 2003.

If they had any respect for themselves they wouldn't listen to any of the bullshit that's spouted around here and release when they damn feel like it.

Arioch said:

If they had any respect for themselves they wouldn't listen to any of the bullshit that's spouted around here and release when they damn feel like it.

´

hear hear!
Delaying the game for a reason as lame as the 10 year anniversary would be retarded.

Arioch said:

Don't make me call down the dark vengeance of CowboyNeal upon you, many-headed troll.

Whoah, now that would be a force to reckon with.

Arioch said:

More or less my point really, as opposed to releasing it according to some sort of commercial calendar...

They should NOT release it when it's done. Games never get done. They should release it at the point where it'll make the most money. That's what companies always try to do.

Fredrik, that is what they will do... the "should" part looks better with some Romeroish idea like making a grand party the 10th, celebrating the original release and the new one, playing games and doing fun stuff of all sorts... and then if it sells, fine, if not *shrug*

Or maybe saying, like, "huh, we release it when we want, dude, this is our work of art, we had the time of our lives making it, and it's a really fun game that will sell for years cause of how cool it is... So why should we get stressed and blurt out a release determined by the needs and pockets of eager kids and the requirements of graphics cards developers?"

Demons Hand said:

If they do wait tell 2004 IM giong ot start killing people.

im pREfectyl suree t hat tehyt wno't w ait tlil 2oo4 ,so you dno't have to kill papple .
Seriously dude, think about what you say before you say it. You might be suprised that people don't look at you like you're strange and stuff.

DOOM Anomaly said:

I think they should release it when its done.

Is that a serious post I see there? :)

Hey, I'm rootin' for 2003 tho.

Fredrik said:

They should NOT release it when it's done. Games never get done. They should release it at the point where it'll make the most money. That's what companies always try to do.

And yet another article printed in the Fredrik Fradicles :P

DooMBoy said:

im pREfectyl suree t hat tehyt wno't w ait tlil 2oo4 ,so you dno't have to kill papple .
Seriously dude, think about what you say before you say it. You might be suprised that people don't look at you like you're strange and stuff.

Its a joke! IM be sarcastic

dsm said:

Btw, your written English seems to be looking better and better ;-)

thanks =)

Should the release date be 10th december 2003?I don`t think so.but I hope they release "somthing" worth the 10th aniversary of DOOM.For example DOOM3 CO-OP/multiplayer patch etc..

BlueSonnet said:

Hope i don't have to wait till next year. At the latest i expect doom3 to come out in december.

Yea.... I hope it comes out in december, that would kick ass!
The sooner the better, because I jones to play it!!!

December????
WTF??

I am so convinced that it will be released in or around May/June this year I am getting panicky about funds for new PC.

Look at the pointers:

JC said he doesn't want it to be seen at another E3.
The sound engineers job contract was for six months only.
A neary playable aplha is in existence now for over a month.
Doom 3 posters "Coming in 2003"
Christmas Games magazines had Doom 3 features.
UAC website seems to be getting closer to a final message.

Dubh said:

December????
WTF??

I am so convinced that it will be released in or around May/June this year I am getting panicky about funds for new PC.

Look at the pointers:

I know. I expect it to come out in summer too. But in case Carmack thinks "Aw shucks we forgot something!!" or some other excuse i don't wanna see it come any later than december.

But as you pointed out, that's virtually impossible.

Dubh said:

The Alpha is around since February 2002. It got massive public acknowledgement in November.

BlueSonnet said:

Hope i don't have to wait till next year. At the latest i expect doom3 to come out in december.

I think december is when it will be out. They will make more $$ that way.