Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Do any wads make archviles resurrect monsters that they normally can't/don't?

Always wanted to see this in a wad.  Would have to take them down quick if resurrecting cyberdemons were an option on the table.

Vile Curse takes the idea even further: all monsters can resurrect all monsters, but it uses DECORATE, so a ZDoom-based port is required.

Wouldn't you be able to do that in vanilla doom by exchanging all chase states with vilechase ones?

Or is the archvile hard coded as being the only enemy who can do so because I don't see the resurrection animation states for the archvile in whacked

Vilechase is hardcoded to jump into state number 266 upon reviving a corpse. The Archvile's reviving animation starts at state 266 and ends by going to the Archvile's walking animation. Under this model, all non-Archvile monsters using Vilechase would become looking like Archviles after reviving a corpse, until they were forced to enter their own attack / pain / death animations upon attacking / receiving damage / getting killed. However, I've once read on some old Doom website about DEHACKED tricks that if state 266 is defined to immediately redirect itself to state 0, then Vilechase does not redirect the animation there upon reviving a corpse, allowing monsters using Vilechase to revive corpses while staying in their respective walking animations, at the cost that the Archvile loses his unique reviving animation.

10 hours ago, Empyre said:

Vile Curse takes the idea even further: all monsters can resurrect all monsters, but it uses DECORATE, so a ZDoom-based port is required.

Tried this on the latest gzdoom, the previous version, and zdoom - getting decorate/script errors and it won't start.

10 hours ago, invictius said:

Tried this on the latest gzdoom, the previous version, and zdoom - getting decorate/script errors and it won't start.

I think I know the cause of that problem. Vilecurse supports, and therefore requires, the Skulltag monsters. Load skulltag_actors.pk3 (which comes with Zandronum) before vilecurse, and if it still doesn't work, load skulltag_data.pk3 after skulltag_actors and before vilecurse.

(A few minutes later): I made a quick edit of vilecurse that removes support for Skulltag monsters. Now it will work by itself on any mapset (that doesn't have Skulltag monsters): vilecurse_v1_noskulltag.wad.

On 4/17/2017 at 3:00 AM, scifista42 said:

With my vanilla-compatible mod, you can get this experience in any wad.

ik this is 4 years old but is this compatible with gameplay mods or is that a no go cuz it aint wrkin for me when i have gmplay mods 

Edited by invashawk

On 2/28/2021 at 10:48 AM, invashawk said:

ik this is 4 years old but is this compatible with gameplay mods or is that a no go cuz it aint wrkin for me when i have gmplay mods 

well you just answered your own question, it doesnt work with gameplay mods

On 3/13/2021 at 4:33 AM, ILOVEDOOM! said:

well you just answered your own question, it doesnt work with gameplay mods

yeah ik, im just retarded sometimes and was wondering if that was a problem on my end

I played neodoom recently. Arch-viles are replaced by Vixens which can litteraly resurrect everything. It's not a good example because they are also the shittiest and most overpowered bosses I have ever encountered.

Or you can just play in Nightmare mode, where every monster auto-respawns.

Nobody mentioned Long Road No Turns yet? Insanely fun wad that makes heavy use of this mechanic. Everything gets a raise state, including pain elementals and lost souls somehow.

On 4/17/2017 at 8:48 PM, Empyre said:

Played "refueling base" (map10 doom 2) and "stronghold" (map 9 TNT) on uv. All went well and suddenly a was totally overwhelmed. 

I think uv max of refueling base is possible with this enhancement but I'm not 100% sure. 

I love this mod.

13 hours ago, StupidBunny said:

I sure hope scifista is doing ok :<

Huh? What happened? Im sorry for asking dumb questions but last time i was active here was a year ago iirc

23 hours ago, ILOVEDOOM! said:

Huh? What happened? Im sorry for asking dumb questions but last time i was active here was a year ago iirc

They haven't connected to Doomworld in around two and a half years now, especially strange given they were a very active member.

In struggle, arch-villes resurrect Spiders Mastermind, but I think it's used in one map only.

Just once, in all my Doom-playing years have I actually seen a Pain Elemental get ressurrected - Killed one directly under a door as it closed, and its death animation and the door were so perfect in sync that the PE became a pool of blood. Moments later I open the door again, and an Archvile is waiting... Don't remember if this was in 1.666 or 1.9 exe