Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
continuum.mid

CC0 MIDIs and other music for your projects

You are a saint my friend! I'm guessing since you've released these under CC0 - modifying these tracks into new tracks is also allowed!

10 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

You are a saint my friend! I'm guessing since you've released these under CC0 - modifying these tracks into new tracks is also allowed!

Absolutely! Not only that, I would love hearing anything that other musicians make of my tracks.

Really good MIDIs! Very strong feeling of adventure and triumph. Great bass lines and chord progressions. 'Challenges Ahead' is a tad "transposy" but still has a cool action vibe. 'Fun is Infinite at AGM' is a highlight and almost has a Shovel Knight feeling. These would all fit great in fantasy type maps and I think you have a great style and should keep up the awesome work!

It's been a few days and I've made two more MIDIs in that time. They are on the same archive.org page as before; I might start getting things on OpenGameArt soon, though I'm debating whether to wait and release them in collections of multiple MIDIs with similar styles.

• Good Endings - here I was trying to push myself to create a longer MIDI; still only three minutes though, I would have liked it to be longer. For the sake of variety, it's a very calming song. The chord progression is based on the one in "Tsuki no Koibumi" by C418, but to make up for that, the other aspects are very different.
  • Death Waltz - wanted to try and create a more ambient/horror track. Also, to push my creativity a bit, I made it 3/4. It ended up sounding like a castle level in a fantasy game more than one of Doom's horror tracks, but I'm sure it still fits in a map of some sort.

Spoiler

Haven't made any new game MIDIs in the last week, but for practice I made a cover of "sd_bbb" by Patricia Taxxon, which is best known for its use in the video "EEEAAAOOO." It wasn't a perfect cover, though, as there were some things I couldn't figure out how to replicate. Since the original is CC-BY-SA I uploaded it separately with that license; if you use it you must give credit to me and Patricia Taxxon and include the CC-BY-SA license. The original is also there, so you can see how much better it is :)

Give it a listen here: https://archive.org/details/sd_bbb

I was originally going to post a MIDI cover of another song (sd_bbb by Patricia Taxxon) but it didn't export properly as MIDI. You can still listen to the MP3 which did export correctly (see the spoiler for a link), but it would be pointless since it's just a MIDI translation of another song, and not even a good one, so I guess this is just a bump.

I'll be uploading the other MIDIs to OpenGameArt soon. Please provide feedback for the tracks I posted last week, it feels like nobody saw them.

Edited by northivanastan

Nothing new this week, I had a lot of ideas but couldn't make complete tracks out of them.

However, everything is now on OpenGameArt, which is where I will be posting all of my MIDIs from now on.

Just published a new MIDI to OpenGameArt, entitled Quantum 2. This one is a remix of an older song of mine, called Quantum.

I'm really proud of both the original and this remix. It's an uptempo song, but the melody has a subtly somber tone to it. There are things I can do with MIDI better than with a physical synthesizer, since I'm not limited by my keyboard playing ability, and I wanted to do those things in this remix.

Released a new MIDI to OpenGameArt: The Ritual. This is the longest MIDI I've made, and probably the best. As a whole it has a dark and hopeless theme. It starts out slow, then builds up until eventually reaching a fast-paced section in the middle that doubles the tempo, before returning to the initial depressing theme and tempo. It's suitable for dark environments where action takes place.

This is also my first "bespoke" track, being created for @Pompeji's second map: Abaddon's Garrison. I think my initial excitement over someone liking my music enough to ask me for original music is what really helped to make this track good. If you want me to make custom MIDIs for you, I've listed some of my conditions for doing so in the OP.

Cool track! It's sort of Final Fantasy inspired, I really like the way the chords move and sweep into new sections.

6 hours ago, northivanastan said:

I think my initial excitement over someone liking my music enough to ask me for original music is what really helped to make this track good.

This is about the only way I can ever come up with anything. If it's not for a project, and no one is expecting anything, I can't even be bothered to boot up the program. But I do try and keep active with projects, so I do stay in practice and learn new tricks all the time.

I like your style, it's not surprising that folks want you for projects. Keep it up!

I'm planning on compiling these MIDIs into a Bandcamp album when I have enough, and when I do I'll probably post in Doom General, since this thread is getting very little attention.

Anyway, here's another MIDI for Theme-gawad #1 - this time, it's for MAP01 (AIM), and the track is called "Airport Attack." It's inspired by the "elevator music" style but at a much higher tempo. The organ and piano are used, with an electric guitar solo appearing later on.

https://opengameart.org/content/airport-attack

27 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

I'm planning on compiling these MIDIs into a Bandcamp album when I have enough, and when I do I'll probably post in Doom General, since this thread is getting very little attention.

Anyway, here's another MIDI for Theme-gawad #1 - this time, it's for MAP01 (AIM), and the track is called "Airport Attack." It's inspired by the "elevator music" style but at a much higher tempo. The organ and piano are used, with an electric guitar solo appearing later on.

https://opengameart.org/content/airport-attack

I decided to load it up into my Yamaha MODX and tweak the style a bit just for fun:

airport_attack.rar

12 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

I decided to load it up into my Yamaha MODX and tweak the style a bit just for fun:

airport_attack.rar

Pretty nice, sounds more like a classic rock tune! Only thing I'm not a fan of is the electric guitar solo, doesn't sound very good with that patch.

Nothing new on OGA this past week, but I do have some projects I'm looking for feedback on.

First, I made a MIDI for Freedoom's E1M5 "Main Control": https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/pull/730

More convenient download link: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/raw/87b14ee1c361b5bc76949d113432bc57dde1a2cb/musics/d_e1m5.mid

Second, I've started this project:

Please give me any feedback you have on the existing MIDIs, and particularly the two that I've submitted.

Also uploaded my Freedoom contribution to OpenGameArt: https://opengameart.org/content/derelict

The map this was made for is a sprawling base, but strangely dark and empty, so I went for something ambient. Notes are repeated to create a delay effect, a trick I learned when importing one of Freedoom's MIDIs into MuseScore. 

Posted my first track in a while to OpenGameArt.

The Invisible Gardener - A mysterious-sounding track with bowed string instruments playing the main melody. This one took a long time to make; I came up with the first minute or so of the song one day (inspired somewhat by Freedoom's E1M8 music), then a bit more some weeks later, and it took me a few more weeks before I figured out what I was building up to. Named after a famous thought experiment.

I should be releasing all of these MIDIs as an album very soon.

On 4/15/2021 at 11:26 PM, northivanastan said:

Posted my first track in a while to OpenGameArt.

The Invisible Gardener - A mysterious-sounding track with bowed string instruments playing the main melody. This one took a long time to make; I came up with the first minute or so of the song one day (inspired somewhat by Freedoom's E1M8 music), then a bit more some weeks later, and it took me a few more weeks before I figured out what I was building up to. Named after a famous thought experiment.

I should be releasing all of these MIDIs as an album very soon.

Love this one! That phrygian-esque half-step down resolution that comes around occasionally is so satisfying. It builds up effectively too, always really hits me when songs hold back the bass. My expectations are never very high with random internet MIDIs tbh, but I enjoyed this so much. Look forward to checking out your other stuff.

In preparation for my upcoming album, I'm releasing the remaining tracks that I can release as public domain to OpenGameArt today.

Starting with Arrival of the Demons - made to replace Doom (1993)'s ending cutscene music, as part of the Ultimate MIDI Pack. Went for something heavy on the sound effects, even though MuseScore isn't designed for that.

Last MIDI release before I put all of them together in an album.

Savior of Humanity - An epic MIDI suitable for a climactic battle - perhaps the final boss of a game. This was intended for the last map of Final Doom: TNT: Evilution, as part of the upcoming TNT: Evilution MIDI Pack. It was a blast working with the project leader, Cammy, on this MIDI. He made some substantial edits to the MIDI, so I've included both his "remix" and my original version.

Edit: my album has been released!

Edited by northivanastan

Love the Ritual track, awesome stuff my dude

Bit loud in some areas tho it seems

Edit: Been checking out ur bandcamp, great stuff man :D

Edited by bluemoss

1 hour ago, bluemoss said:

Love the Ritual track, awesome stuff my dude

Bit loud in some areas tho it seems

Thanks for liking it!

I think my export settings are largely to blame for the tracks being loud, but at the very least they are somewhat uniformly loud.

I love your stuff.

I will certainly use some of these in my projects.

I have apparently not updated this thread for over three months! Haven't been posting to OpenGameArt as the stuff I'm making is either not copyright-friendly or I want to wait on releasing them. But that's changing, because at long last I actually have something new of my own to post to OpenGameArt.

Deliberate Concealment is a speedMIDI created for a live session of Dragonfly's MIDI Challenge. This feels a bit like spy thriller music to me. Due to the constant switches between 3/4 and 5/8, and the tempo changes, the speed of the track feels somewhat off-kilter, and I quite like the effect.

I've also released a new album, for those of you who missed it:

These are great, I specially loved the mood of "Derelict".

I really appreciate the CC0 license, and I might use some of these as a base for making some of the music in a project of mine for I which I've been making all of the assets myself, including the music. That said, why not use another license like CC-BY, or even CC-BY-SA, if you care about attribution?

I license a lot of what I make under permissive licenses, but I only ever use CC0 for things I specifically don't want to be attributed for. Most of the time I go for CC-BY-SA because it requires people to use the same license, which I is how I think it should always be. If you take a piece of music that is available for free to make your own piece of music, yours should be equally available.

1 hour ago, QuotePilgrim said:

These are great, I specially loved the mood of "Derelict".

I really appreciate the CC0 license, and I might use some of these as a base for making some of the music in a project of mine for I which I've been making all of the assets myself, including the music. That said, why not use another license like CC-BY, or even CC-BY-SA, if you care about attribution?

I license a lot of what I make under permissive licenses, but I only ever use CC0 for things I specifically don't want to be attributed for. Most of the time I go for CC-BY-SA because it requires people to use the same license, which I is how I think it should always be. If you take a piece of music that is available for free to make your own piece of music, yours should be equally available.

Interesting points there. I've considered using copyleft before as an activism thing, or CC-BY against malicious mis-attribution.

The reasoning for why I don't currently use CC-BY, CC-BY-SA, etc is that I see most of the things those licenses protect against as ultimately minor offenses in the context of my work, and I'd rather not have the power to threaten legal action over them. It's nice to get attribution and it's nice for people to make things freely available, but I'd be happy just to see my work in use, and don't want to legally mandate those things.

I know it's been over a year, but I've decided to start updating this thread again in hopes of better self-promotion. I've uploaded five MIDIs to OpenGameArt in the past year and a half, they are:

I'd love for these all to be used in more projects! And as always you need no permission, but I'd love if you let me see what you're working on.