Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lüt

The problem with the youth today...

As always they are right in their observations and wrong in their conclusions:

Yes, there is a general trend towards self-loathing in today's youth culture, but blaming it on the "leftist" democrats (they aren't leftist at all) is just plain bullshit.

Their argument basically goes like this: The youth seem to hate themselves (true to some extent). That must be because the government seems to act in the way they want it to be.

Bah, it's true.

I hate being a teenager sometimes, I'd love to go back to when I was at primary school and I didn't have to worry about anything. All I do these days is worry and if these really are "the best years of my life" as said by many people then I'm dreading what's to come. OK so this isn't really on topic.

Image plays a far too important role in the youth of today. Gone are the days when people thought "I'm me, I don't care what everyone else thinks." Everyone wants people to think they're "cool" or "hip" so they go out and buy the coolest, most expensive clothes, or "in" music, even if they don't really like it. Then they say they're "expressing their right to be individual" - but really they're just sheep following the crowd. I always hear people talking about "being different", or "straying from the norm" but they're just the same as all the other people in the crowd.

Oh yeah, I apologise for my over use of quotation marks in my thread. :P

I AM DIFFERENT!"!!!!!!

ZarcyB said:

I hate being a teenager sometimes

trust me. it'll pass. you will grow out of it. all that teenage angst will eventually fade away and leave you to get on with life and not give a shit about 'fitting in'.

bliss

It's not quite the government but society in general which has bred out of us the will to live. Our schools in particular, are churning out kids who may have the brains, but not the coping skills to face real life. Im speaking strictly from an American point of view of course.

It's just an article aimed at provoking (social) class hatred, media control, and prejudice in general.

Assmaster said:

It's not quite the government but society in general which has bred out of us the will to live.

I'd say the media is to blame - they're the ones who tell us what's fashionable (eg. at teenage level it's fashionable to fuck around at school, smoking round the back of a building and beating the crap out of anyone weaker) and that anyone who doesn't embrace these fashions (ie. obeying the media) is "uncool" and deserves to be an outcast for all eternity. And the trouble is that not many people actually have the balls to go against this and say something like "I don't give a fuck about what's cool and what's not". And that's one reason why today's youth (in Britain at least) is hooked on drugs, alcohol and crime, resulting in a lot of people over here being afraid to walk the streets anymore.

Something needs to be done, but the question is what?

Ok my turn to step in. I'm 18 (19 this year) and my first year in college. I've matured a lot over the past year and all of the fitting in stuff you WILL grow out of. I have a lot of friends and as for fitting in it doesn't really bother me anymore, I don't fit in with a crowd, whoopty fucking shit. Everyone grows out of it. I also hear "highschool is the best time of your life" what a crock of shit, college is way better then highschool is.

DOOM Anomaly said:

Why can't we all be like DOOM Anomaly? That'd be swell. :D

Cause hobbits are magnets for flesh eating insects and horrors from beyond the grave, that's why. And I get more than enough of that when playing Doom, thanks!

P.S.: my mom thinks you look like a hobbit, too.

The people in those last two photos look like they hate themselves the most. And they don't even need to dress up to demonstrate it.

That article is uninformed, over-generistic, and stupid!
While the majority of the teenage population does fall into a sad category of regrettable realism, it is not just their age group that is overwhelmed by negative behavior.
Watch virtually any show on MTV, it is filled with disgustingly immoral, rude, self-centered, narrow-minded individuals. But I say, their behavior doesn't simply disappear when they get older and those people rarely get any wiser...
While I personally couldn't condone any of the behaviors in the pictures on that page, surely the article is nothing but uneducated dribble.
oh, and there is nothing wrong with UD's pic! :)

stphrz said:

I just had to chase some twerp with a mohawk off my lawn :P

Is that any way to greet your son after spending 4 months at school!
j/k

Alientank said:

. I also hear "highschool is the best time of your life" what a crock of shit

Wise words.
Yeah the people in this article make me sick, just a bunch of fools with too much time on their hands and no foundation for knowing oneself. In their pathetic quest for 'individualism' they end up acting just like everyone else.
My advice? Turn off the fucking TV and do something constructive with yourself. Stop following the mindless MTV heard. Self-loathing is too easy, so the cowards and pussies just eat it up, and expect everyone else to react to it, like it matters how ugly you make yourself or how loud and obscene your music is. Suck it up and accomplish something, you piles of donkey shit.

Thank you, rant over.

Yea its pretty much true. And I dont care some people say im a pain in da ass or no good to society well fuck you to then.

Life sucks, people are stupid. All people. Not just youths, but all people, though it could be argued thay they show their stupidity in different ways. Even the smartest of us are stupid for thinking we are smart and for trying to come up with answers for anything, because trying to truly analyze so many viewpoints to find a common thread is out of human capacity. And if you think I'm wrong about that, then I say you're stupid. It's hard to truly understand ones own problems without delving into those of others.

As a generality are we going downhill or uphill? Hell if I know. That question is completely objective, and I feel that the persons writing that article are stupid for the way they express their opinion. Some of their statements may have some basis, but the overall conclusion is unsavory. I wonder if they would hold the same opinion if they were as young as the people they criticize. I wonder if we will feel the same way when we are as old as them. The only truth is that we are society changes with every generation, and the quality of that change can only be determined by the way that the people of the times deal with it.

Here's the fun part. Say that many of us may not be content with our generation, with our society. What are we going to do about it? Any suggestions? That's what I thought. There's not a whole lot that anyone can do. Maybe its a stupid observation, but it seems to me that society in any society is the way it is because that's what the majority wants, or at least what the majority allows. If you are so opposed to it that you want to change it, then too bad, you're in the minority. You can change how you act, and how you take part in society, but if the majority doesn't like it, then they'll treat you like shit if they want to, and there's nothing you can do about it except join them or keep going on.

And here's something even more fun. Say that when you come of age and actually come into a position where you can do something about society, what then? Most likely by that time you'll be the old generation. How do you know if the new generation wants what you want for it? Most likely they won't. And if you try to say your peice, then a bunch of punk kids are going to start bitching about it of some forum or something. Ain't it a bitch?

Yes, the observations were correct, but the conclusion was wrong. I don't know what the heck has gotten into males aged 12-28 these days. The vast purality of them seem to be repulsive devil-worshipping balls of negativity. It's one thing to be pessimistic, which is usually very beneficial, but this is a far cry from that. Somebody in some laboratory must have seriously screwed up the human gene pool in the last 20 years, because everywhere I look I see idiot mental-case teenagers who don't know ____ about ____.

All I can realistically attribute it to is a crippling lack of maturity and intelligence, a phenomenon that is rising. The palpable details of the phenomonen, however, are a mystery to me.

Stuff like this is why I wish humanity would die.

Christ, I don't dress the way I do or listen to what I do to prove SHIT. I do it because I like it, stupid fucking adults.

And than, I agree with them on most of what they said, it still borders on age-ism, but some of their stuff is right.

But who the hell writes this crap anyways? What a waste of 2 minutes of my life.

:P

Yes, youth sucks. I hate other teenagers, not because they are, but because what they are. They're so ridiculous here where I live. I HATE them. People are loaded with sacks of shit instead of brains. Everyone I know (with the exception of my very few friends - which I have only few because of these motherfuckers) likes to hang out in the town being drunk, smoking and simply being a dick. This town is full of that kind of young people wasting their lives. In the school I can hear everyone talking about what they're going to do on the next friday, or what they did on the last friday. I can see them drinking at the town on weekends and holidays and whining that their life sucks. Sometimes I'd like to grab them from their throats and hung them on the trees or crucify upside down. I even hate my school-class, they are all the same assholes. It's hard to be cooperative with them and they can make me violent. I AM A VICTIM! These specimen seem to have their own fucking language, with so goddamn annoying words they use and sound stupid. All I can hope that they will pass on with their lives and grow up (mentally) a bit faster. I am the one who stays in the darkness, watching, and lurking for the day when I strike. Soon.

I think one thing that apalls about the youth culture today is the lack of any kind of constructive vision.

There are many people who actually believe in the virtues of a rebellious youth. Of people actually caring to question their way of life and change it before they have settled themselves.

The famous youth movement of the late 60's shared the same dissillusion with themselves and their role in society. They did, however, have an idea of an alternative way of life. Maybe crude and utopic, but it did serve a reason.

The youth culture of today share the same drive to get away from a way of life they cannot identify themselves properly with. Unfortunately they are not able to come up with any alternative at the moment. There are some notions, however, though they may be disparate.