Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

[Now on /idgames!!!] TWANGO1 - Vanilla DM for the Modern Age

1 hour ago, IggySqiggles said:

Do you guys have a "Twango" texture yet?

The included PNG with the logo in the OP is what we have to work with. Is that alright?

6 hours ago, OpenRift said:

This is some great stuff! My only problem is that there is a visplane overflow about where the rocket launcher is, so I would recommend taking a look at that. That and perhaps a little bit more variety to the weapons across the map (chainguns and plasma are always nice to have), but only if you want. Other than that, keep up the great, work, love the title screen :D

So when fixing the visplane overflow, I changed a lot in this map. Due to being unable to fix the visplane in any reasonable way, I added a bigass wall, hoping it won't hurt the combat. Most entrances are now wider, while some of them have been removed completely. I also added two chainguns on the map and added SSG pickup, while making the players start with regular SG. Let me know if the map still appears to be playable. In my books, I'd say it's easier to keep momentum now.

NMDEATH.zip

14 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

So when fixing the visplane overflow, I changed a lot in this map. Due to being unable to fix the visplane in any reasonable way, I added a bigass wall, hoping it won't hurt the combat. Most entrances are now wider, while some of them have been removed completely. I also added two chainguns on the map and added SSG pickup, while making the players start with regular SG. Let me know if the map still appears to be playable. In my books, I'd say it's easier to keep momentum now.

NMDEATH.zip

Perfect! If this is your final version and you're happy with, then I'll add it to the WAD!

Before you do, I'd like to test it with someone, so I am certain it does not contain any errors and it is properly balanced. 

6 minutes ago, Redead-ITA said:

Is it ok if my map was made with doom 1 textures

and it was made with duel in mind?

Assuming this map is designed for Doom II and just uses Doom 1 textures, that's fine, just be sure to include the textures in the WAD.

Just now, OpenRift said:

Assuming this map is designed for Doom II and just uses Doom 1 textures, that's fine, just be sure to include the textures in the WAD.

It was actually designed with doom 1 in mind but i can conver it, il add the twango texture also to add to it.

1 minute ago, Redead-ITA said:

It was actually designed with doom 1 in mind but i can conver it, il add the twango texture also to add to it.

Alright, just be sure to include any required textures in the WAD.

Here is my Dm map, comes with also a new texture for twango made by me because the one you posted was a gif

TwangO1.png.5c9e289a6b07149a15ff4d4d26388790.png

feel free to use it for you maps if you want!

Tested with Chocoderlimits in singleplayer and it runs.

Serverroomonfire.zip

image.png.32a432e3f8e10ca967cd79ab5fd29f2e.png

40 minutes ago, Redead-ITA said:

Here is my Dm map, comes with also a new texture for twango made by me because the one you posted was a gif

TwangO1.png.5c9e289a6b07149a15ff4d4d26388790.png

feel free to use it for you maps if you want!

Tested with Chocoderlimits in singleplayer and it runs.

Serverroomonfire.zip

image.png.32a432e3f8e10ca967cd79ab5fd29f2e.png

Here's the image in PNG format, pop it in slade and convert it to a Doom graphic.

TWANGO.png.38eff285ba4014510292b104cad8db01.png

EDIT: Taking a look at your map, it's pretty solid so far, but it is kind of small. I would recommend making some of the areas a bit more open so there's more space to maneuver. Also, maybe add some more powerful weapons like the SSG and plasma if you wanna go with a small meatgrinder sort of map. 

Edited by OpenRift

48 minutes ago, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

Do you intend to replace the skies? Or should we make the maps with vanilla doom 2 ones in mind? 

You're more than welcome to suggest custom skies if you'd like, even include them in your maps if so desired. Though something to consider is the sky never changes bug in vanilla where the texture doesn't change unless you load the level again via a save or warp. But regardless, suggestions are always appreciated

1 hour ago, OpenRift said:

EDIT: Taking a look at your map, it's pretty solid so far, but it is kind of small. I would recommend making some of the areas a bit more open so there's more space to maneuver. Also, maybe add some more powerful weapons like the SSG and plasma if you wanna go with a small meatgrinder sort of map. 

Serverroomonfire.zip

Made the blue corridor entrances wider and put the ssg and plasma in the map.

On 3/15/2021 at 5:00 PM, Redead-ITA said:

Serverroomonfire.zip

Made the blue corridor entrances wider and put the ssg and plasma in the map.

Great stuff, love to see it. Any other things you'd like to add before we add it?

Feel free to use this: https://www.mediafire.com/file/lflmqbwk2ovi0yx/lama0.zip/file

Totally vanilla compatible.   Was very careful with DB Bugfix's visplanes viewer to keep within the threshold.   The noclipping cheat might be a bad idea though, but people shouldn't be cheating anyway.   Currently loaded with monsters for decent single play.   Currently no SSG but has a hidden BFG.  I think it might a good idea to alternate some maps without  SSG so other weapons get more use, but I'll add it if you want it or you can.   At least 12 DM starts.   Thinking of putting a shotgun or chaingun right on each start.   A lot of custom variants of Doom textures though not all vital and most could be changed but it wouldn't look as cool.

EDIT: Didn't realize Doom 2 screws up SW*STARG and just makes it the same as SW*BRN1 or SW*BRCOM.   The Doom 1 texture was intended.

Edited by Gokuma

10 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Great stuff, love to see it. Any other things you'd like to add before we add it?

Nothing much really but i guess a little mark of my work wouldn't hurt

image.png.137c25dfcf5a2cb88b90f95b9f7bbd33.png

Serverroomonfire.zip

I am also cool if you don't want to.

13 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Feel free to use this: https://www.mediafire.com/file/lflmqbwk2ovi0yx/lama0.zip/file

Totally vanilla compatible.   Was very careful with DB Bugfix's visplanes viewer to keep within the threshold.   The noclipping cheat might be a bad idea though, but people shouldn't be cheating anyway.   Currently loaded with monsters for decent single play.   Currently no SSG but has a hidden BFG.  I think it might a good idea to alternate some maps without  SSG so other weapons get more use, but I'll add it if you want it or you can.   At least 12 DM starts.   Thinking of putting a shotgun or chaingun right on each start.   A lot of custom variants of Doom textures though not all vital and most could be changed but it wouldn't look as cool.

EDIT: Didn't realize Doom 2 screws up SW*STARG and just makes it the same as SW*BRN1 or SW*BRCOM.   The Doom 1 texture was intended.

This. This is fucking sick. I LOVE MAP02, it's the kind of map I always wanted to make for deathmatch: just a straight up berzerk ring. You sir are a legend. 

Thank you!   My main intention was map01 which does have a berserk or two in it and I was wondering if you would go for map02.   There's more to it though.   Apply the dehacked patch to a doom2.exe (entry in the wad or the deh now added to the zip) or quick run it with Doom Classic or a source port and see.

I added a map03 alternate of map02 without the main intended dehacked feature where player corpses sliding into goals activate score pillars directly.   There's the SSG in it but that may discourage use of berserk.   The weapons are arranged differently between medium and other skill levels.   Maybe the map02 is the best for regular deathmatch even though I intended something else with its set of weapons and the pillar in the middle.  Map03 is better for sending player corpses sliding into the goals though as the regular SG and chaingun don't do as much pushing.   Berserk vs SG vs Chaingun vs RL is probably the most even match.   Anyway, redownload and check it out.   Also fixed the SW*Starg switch in texture1 to be like Doom 1 and Doom 2 still had the pnames used by it.

10 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

Thank you!   My main intention was map01 which does have a berserk or two in it and I was wondering if you would go for map02.   There's more to it though.   Apply the dehacked patch to a doom2.exe (entry in the wad or the deh now added to the zip) or quick run it with Doom Classic or a source port and see.

I added a map03 alternate of map02 without the main intended dehacked feature where player corpses sliding into goals activate score pillars directly.   There's the SSG in it but that may discourage use of berserk.   The weapons are arranged differently between medium and other skill levels.   Maybe the map02 is the best for regular deathmatch even though I intended something else with its set of weapons and the pillar in the middle.  Map03 is better for sending player corpses sliding into the goals though as the regular SG and chaingun don't do as much pushing.   Berserk vs SG vs Chaingun vs RL is probably the most even match.   Anyway, redownload and check it out.   Also fixed the SW*Starg switch in texture1 to be like Doom 1 and Doom 2 still had the pnames used by it.

Thanks. I just checked it out. I think I'll probably be using the MAP03 alternative since the main focus of TWANGO WADs is easy to run deathmatch in vanilla, unfortunately setting up dehacked-oriented multiplayer in vanilla can be much more complex depending on how things are set up. It is a brilliant concept, and I'll happily add these updated versions to the WAD.

Ok Cool, you're welcome and thanks.    So for the map03 variant, would you like the pillar like map02 added?   And for one of the skill levels it would probably be good to arrange the weapons like the map02 version without the SSG.

2 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

Ok Cool, you're welcome and thanks.    So for the map03 variant, would you like the pillar like map02 added?   And for one of the skill levels it would probably be good to arrange the weapons like the map02 version without the SSG.

Those sound fine, just let me know when you update it :)

Here is the final version of my map. I revamped most locations, so they look nicer, make more sense gameplay wise, and that they do not cause any problems with vanilla engine. Name of the map is 'Engine 3000' 

Screenshots:

Spoiler

959096193_2021-03-1802_09_44-MAP01.png.872d7fc6791c950f2907a17e3b0442ad.png631460812_2021-03-1802_09_31-MAP01.png.3115d7d244c551077b177f3d92c34128.png615588140_2021-03-1802_09_24-MAP01.png.8d971c480170fbea412c0662cdb1bd8d.png

NMDEATH.zip

8 hours ago, Gokuma said:

@OpenRift Ok redownload and let me know how you like map03 now with the weapon placement for skills hard, medium, and easy.

I think you should swap the item spawns between medium and hard. Other than that it should be fine.

Here's my submission: MRTWANGO :P

Take in mind that this IS NOT any kind of final release!

That said, you will see maybe some minor mis-aligned textures and I plan to add another small room somewhere. ;)

mrtango_shot01.png.2e799e17950d72fb07a1c587afe1de6f.png

EDIT: this map has been updated, view Here.

This is a small 2-4 Player DM level.

Higher Skill setting adds the BFG.

Single player start is there only for testing the map.

Still needs play tested!

View the included readme.txt for more info!

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Ok redownload https://www.mediafire.com/file/lflmqbwk2ovi0yx/lama0.zip/file

and check out map03 now.

Switched the thing placement for medium and hard.

Then I was thinking about the possible weapon shortages in altdeath and ammo shortages in old deathmatch 1.0.

So I put some other weapons and weapon-dropping enemies behind the glass and a backpack behind the exit doors.

You could have respawning enemies on for an endless supply of the weapons with ammo they drop.

Was thinking of trying to fit more ammo items in but haven't done more than that backpack yet.

Could put multiple backpacks on the same spot.

I devised another purpose for the score pillars that required me to rework them a bit.

(I mean Door***2 skull textures not the red pillar w/ skull thing)

With scoring 0 through 10 being shown digitally and then 11-15 being a skull pillar followed 16-20 being another skull pillar beside it,  

I put the second skull pillar in front instead and put weapons on top of them.

So once people score in any one goal about 14 or 15 times, either a SSG, Plasma Rifle, or BFG will be raised up high enough there to grab,

but then after a few more scores in that same goal, it will be out of reach.

So in case no really organized Quad Goal game ever happens, there's still some motivation to score goals, and a reward of temporary added mayhem.

So all skills contain all weapons now, but only potentially temporarily over the course of a game.

If you want to easily test how that works, I've temporarily commented out the NoCrouch in the zmapinfo, so you can crouch in a ZDoom port and repeatedly activate the scoring.   May have to bump against the weapons with some momentum.

Also did some more work to the textures.   I added the two Twango textures used by MrTwango.wad.   Made and added a new CompTwan texture and used it in Quad Goal.   Then there were four Doom 1 textures each using a graphic resource from Doom 1.   I altered the names of those four resources (which required some texture and pname shuffling), so in the future this wad shouldn't get rejected from idgames submission for containing exact entries of the same exact resource as doom.wad, even though it's for Doom 2.

EDIT: Going to switch around some things as the current chainsaw placement is annoying.   For custom skies, forgot we'll just replace rsky* instead of adding sky textures since we're working with vanilla, so as I add more textures I'll delete unused sky entries.  Would like to use alpha one called sky8 for Silenced Lamasery and skyfaceB for Quad Goal Deathmatch/You're the Ball!  Just got a bunch of ideas stewing for a new map from scratch and want to use some of my textures from here.   One of the skyface textures would be preferable for that map as well.

PanelTwango.png.1e48f549670ea5600ffa5055ac915ef6.pngPanelTwango2.png.1458d7854055db6bb05c08195b016fb7.pngPanelTwango3.png.be6310e8b7781ec530e04a2b2d354b20.png

Edited by Gokuma

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

I added the two Twango textures used by MrTwango.wad.

You know that reminds me, I forgot to add that the wad contains a new graphic in the readme.txt.

Expect some small updates to the wad soon anyway. ;)

On 3/18/2021 at 11:16 PM, Gokuma said:

Ok redownload https://www.mediafire.com/file/lflmqbwk2ovi0yx/lama0.zip/file

and check out map03 now.

Switched the thing placement for medium and hard.

Then I was thinking about the possible weapon shortages in altdeath and ammo shortages in old deathmatch 1.0.

So I put some other weapons and weapon-dropping enemies behind the glass and a backpack behind the exit doors.

You could have respawning enemies on for an endless supply of the weapons with ammo they drop.

Was thinking of trying to fit more ammo items in but haven't done more than that backpack yet.

Could put multiple backpacks on the same spot.

I devised another purpose for the score pillars that required me to rework them a bit.

(I mean Door***2 skull textures not the red pillar w/ skull thing)

With scoring 0 through 10 being shown digitally and then 11-15 being a skull pillar followed 16-20 being another skull pillar beside it,  

I put the second skull pillar in front instead and put weapons on top of them.

So once people score in any one goal about 14 or 15 times, either a SSG, Plasma Rifle, or BFG will be raised up high enough there to grab,

but then after a few more scores in that same goal, it will be out of reach.

So in case no really organized Quad Goal game ever happens, there's still some motivation to score goals, and a reward of temporary added mayhem.

So all skills contain all weapons now, but only potentially temporarily over the course of a game.

If you want to easily test how that works, I've temporarily commented out the NoCrouch in the zmapinfo, so you can crouch in a ZDoom port and repeatedly activate the scoring.   May have to bump against the weapons with some momentum.

Also did some more work to the textures.   I added the two Twango textures used by MrTwango.wad.   Made and added a new CompTwan texture and used it in Quad Goal.   Then there were four Doom 1 textures each using a graphic resource from Doom 1.   I altered the names of those four resources (which required some texture and pname shuffling), so in the future this wad shouldn't get rejected from idgames submission for containing exact entries of the same exact resource as doom.wad, even though it's for Doom 2.

EDIT: Going to switch around some things as the current chainsaw placement is annoying.   For custom skies, forgot we'll just replace rsky* instead of adding sky textures since we're working with vanilla, so as I add more textures I'll delete unused sky entries.  Would like to use alpha one called sky8 for Silenced Lamasery and skyfaceB for Quad Goal Deathmatch/You're the Ball!  Just got a bunch of ideas stewing for a new map from scratch and want to use some of my textures from here.   One of the skyface textures would be preferable for that map as well.

PanelTwango.png.1e48f549670ea5600ffa5055ac915ef6.pngPanelTwango2.png.1458d7854055db6bb05c08195b016fb7.pngPanelTwango3.png.be6310e8b7781ec530e04a2b2d354b20.png

Holy shit, these textures are AWESOME! I'll be sure to include them in the TWANGOTEX ZIP in the OP. Excited to see what you've got brewing :)

Redownload lama0.zip

Now (temporary map##s) in twangok.wad

map01 = Interdimansia  (Interdimensional + Mansion + Dementia)

(not infinished yet and has a temporary exit thrown in, needs more lighting, will be more to basement, WIP)

map02 = Quad Goal Deathmatch / You're the Ball!

map12 (or later so it uses sky2) = Silenced Lamasery

Extra if there's room and you want it but needs thing placement adjusted:

map32 = Quad Doomball

Would the twangtex.wad in this zip be alright for our texture/resource wad?

It's the same stuff as in twangok.wad but without my maps, music, and mapinfos.

I need to work on rsky1 and make it tile smoothly.

Could switch up the skies if they're alright.   I just put one I'd like for a couple maps as rsky1 and the Doom Alpha one as rsky2 for Lamasery for the time being.

Here's CompTwan used in Quad Goad.   The VCR part below the screen was by @XLightningStormL and red background symbols are part of DoomSlayer screen by @BLAZING_DUST used in CompSlay which I built this texture on.

comptwan.png.556ad062aec70d6e2214acb443fc896f.png

Edited by Gokuma