Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mraka

Your opinion on Brutal Doom

I feel like I'm Bill Murray in Groundhog Day.

Because I keep seeing threads with this exact title every day.

Pretty much was said already by @Sergeant_Mark_IV himself.

I feel really good while reading his own words, for certain.

And for that only reason, i'm glad this thread showed up again.

I know there was no ill will, but ''ignore the bad, is the sanest way'' is what bring us to the global situation we are already.

Maybe not us, but people that come before us took that attitude. Not all, but a great number for sure.

And its on our hands, not literally speaking, but on our everyday actions more especifically, that we can start making a change for that.

Just trying to stop the bad tongues run rampage.

Just saying no to something that you don't like, and speaking politelly about why if asked.

Just advocating for sincerity and honestity against corruption and lies.

Just being responsable of our own actions.

Maybe it sound ideal, but looking away never is an answer, the problem is still there, we are just not looking at it.

Taking a fighting stance is neither the solution.

But standing up and trying to make the difference is something that certainly could make a change.

So i totally admire that you took the resolution to stop all the bad being said about you, Mark.

Probably more will appear, as is the usual nowdays with all the hatebringers, but speaking for yourself will clear things up for sure.

Rise your voice, pal!

Those that never made a mistake on their life are free to throw a rock. 

And as always, all the liars will take the first step.

11 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

I know there was no ill will, but ''ignore the bad, is the sanest way'' is what bring us to the global situation we are already.

Maybe not us, but people that come before us took that attitude. Not all, but a great number for sure.

And its on our hands, not literally speaking, but on our everyday actions more especifically, that we can start making a change for that.

Just trying to stop the bad tongues run rampage.

Just saying no to something that you don't like, and speaking politelly about why if asked.

Just advocating for sincerity and honestity against corruption and lies.

Just being responsable of our own actions.

Maybe it sound ideal, but looking away never is an answer, the problem is still there, we are just not looking at it.

Taking a fighting stance is neither the solution.

But standing up and trying to make the difference is something that certainly could make a change.

except that he's been going around defending himself for quite some time now. which, as you can see, hasn't worked. in fact, when he tries to defend himself, he oftentimes inadvertently ends up adding fuel to the fire, and everything becomes worse. idk if you've seen him defending himself in the past, but...it usually doesn't go well

12 minutes ago, roadworx said:

except that he's been going around defending himself for quite some time now. which, as you can see, hasn't worked. in fact, when he tries to defend himself, he oftentimes inadvertently ends up adding fuel to the fire, and everything becomes worse. idk if you've seen him defending himself in the past, but...it usually doesn't go well

its better to let people and all the world speak bad about you, and saying you are the worst shit to ever lived.

Yes, you are certainly right there.

I will do as you say, look away and ignore that a lot of people is saying to other one that asking to be treated like a person deserves is not good for his sanity.

2 hours ago, Scrabbs said:

Mark joined the IRA and tried to blow up Margret Thatcher's grave, he then made a wad depicting the events if he were successful in his efforts

@Margaret Thatcher

12 minutes ago, roadworx said:

What the fuck are talking about? He responded in the most mature way and others support him. Cut your bs already.

6 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

its better to let people and all the world speak bad about you, and saying you are the worst shit to ever lived.

Yes, you are certainly right there.

I will do as you say, look away and ignore that a lot of people is saying to other one that asking to be treated like a person deserves is not good for his sanity.

okay, so then what's your idea? that he endlessly continue to defend himself and get literally nowhere like he's been doing for the past how many years? yeah, that'll work out just fine and dandy. just like it has been.

4 minutes ago, dmslr said:

What the fuck are talking about? He responded in the most mature way and others support him. Cut your bs already.

you obviously didn't see the past-tense that i used. or the "oftentimes", or the "usually". he did respond maturely this time, i agree, which is why i specifically didn't say that things went poorly every single time

1 minute ago, roadworx said:

okay, so then what's your idea? that he endlessly continue to defend himself and get literally nowhere like he's been doing for the past how many years? yeah, that'll work out just fine and dandy. just like it has been.

if you read carfully, i already stated my idea, not once, but twice.

But here is trice as a bonus for you.

looking away is never an answer.

Mark took the resolution to stood up and defend himself.

And i stood up not wanting to look away, defending him by myself.

You could also stood up and try to help stop the nonsense being spreaded.

Would you like, too?

or would you look away this time, too?

1 minute ago, roadworx said:

get literally nowhere like he's been doing for the past how many years? yeah, that'll work out just fine and dandy. just like it has been.

In my opinion I'd say building my own community that outnumbers  by 3:1 the one community that so proudly banned me and continuing to earn recognition for my work through the years is definitely going somewhere. But well... opinions are opinions...

That being said, I agree that I should stop engaging with these people directly, but that doesn't means letting them speak evil about me as much as they want. 

As I said, I plan to make a statement addressing everything, acknowledging what I did wrong, providing a clear view of what happened, proof of how they were taken out of context and exaggerated, and the things I did to compensate my misdeeds.
Then whenever I see these people posting these shit, I reply with a simple "The accusations made here about my person are grossly exaggerated. Here is my statement addressing these issues: Link"

I understand that people who are bent into hating me can't be changed, but I can't sit and wait for them to spread their poison and recruit more into their ranks. I am a human being and I have the right to defend myself. Do you have any problem with this?

Just now, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

In my opinion I'd say building my own community that outnumbers  by 3:1 the one community that so proudly banned me and continuing to earn recognition for my work through the years is definitely going somewhere. But well... opinions are opinions...

that's probably because your mod is appealing to a mass audience, not because you go around defending yourself

3 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

As I said, I plan to make a statement addressing everything, acknowledging what I did wrong, providing a clear view of what happened, proof of how they were taken out of context and exaggerated, and the things I did to compensate my misdeeds.
Then whenever I see these people posting these shit, I reply with a simple "The accusations made here about my person are grossly exaggerated. Here is my statement addressing these issues: Link"

I understand that people who are bent into hating me can't be changed, but I can't sit and wait for them to spread their poison and recruit more into their ranks. I am a human being and I have the right to defend myself. Do you have any problem with this?

i never said i had a problem with it what you said you've planned. hell, i actually think that's a very good plan. and i don't have a problem with anything, because none of this really affects me personally. what i'm doing is pointing something out.

when i say "going around defending yourself", i don't mean linking to one big post that clears stuff up. what i mean is you going around to threads, seeing people saying things about you, and swooping down to write individual posts in response to whatever they're saying - hence the going around part. cuz, from what i've seen, most of the posts that you make when you do that end up making you look bad. probably because they're posted in the moment, aren't planned out, and don't have anyone else looking it over just in case you're about to say something really stupid. and that right there is why you still get so many people hating you personally, other than the fact that the internet loves to hold grudges and because people like to hop on bandwagons. you can defend yourself, it's just that i highly suggest that you don't do it in that particular way, because i have literally never seen it go well for a single person ever. it always goes down the exact same way: people just start to dislike you even more and believe the people who're spreading rumors about you even more.

8 minutes ago, roadworx said:

that's probably because your mod is appealing to a mass audience, not because you go around defending yourself

I was referring about the outcomes of these discussions, which the objective is never to make me look better in the eyes of those accusing me, but preventing them convincing other people with their lies. And hey, if all their attempts at "cancelling" me failed so bad for 8 years in a row, then maybe I'm doing something right.

9 minutes ago, roadworx said:

when i say "going around defending yourself", i don't mean linking to one big post that clears stuff up. what i mean is you going around to threads, seeing people saying things about you, and swooping down to write individual posts in response to whatever they're saying - hence the going around part. cuz, from what i've seen, most of the posts that you make when you do that end up making you look bad. probably because they're posted in the moment, aren't planned out, and don't have anyone else looking it over just in case you're about to say something really stupid. and that right there is why you still get so many people hating you personally, other than the fact that the internet loves to hold grudges and because people like to hop on bandwagons. you can defend yourself, it's just that i highly suggest that you don't do it in that particular way, because i have literally never seen it go well for a single person ever. it always goes down the exact same way: people just start to dislike you even more and believe the people who're spreading rumors about you even more.

Oh well, then that's fine. Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.

9 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Oh well, then that's fine. Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.

nah it's okay, i suck at communication

1 hour ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Not a bad idea, but it would be better to let others respond and link it. So say in Doomworld another BD discussion pops up and people bring up your past, a member can just link it and end it there. If you did it, it may come off as over defensive to some people and leaves room for haters to fan the flames.

My opinion doesn't deviate from my general taste - not for me.  i love guts and gore and splatter, in movies, but for Doom it's overkill and doesn't suit. It's like remaking Halloween with aesthetics of Fulci's Zombi (not that something towards that direxion wasn't done, only worse...meh.)  i watch people play with it though.

I have a very wishy-washy opinion of Brutal Doom but I think at the end of the day I'm just glad it exists.

I do find it kinda cringe when some people play Brutal Doom like its vanilla to the point of being dismissive of the base game's simple combat loop.

But ultimately, the mod got people into Doom who otherwise wouldn't have. It started conversations, it got people to download and bootup these games, and led some new blood into the community. And love it or hate it, that's a commendable thing for a mod to be able to do.

As for how I personally enjoy it? Well, I do enjoy it. I actually was originally one of the  z o o m e r s  that played it like it was vanilla (although I think I deserve some slack because I played 75% of the game through DosBox first), but now I can kinda take it or leave it. I enjoy Doom's combat for its simple, consistent gameplay. Brutal Doom is a bit of a different experience, but it has made some otherwise boring maps a bit more enjoyable.

14 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

The problem is that a lie told a thousand times becomes truth.
For example, I have seen people believe I'm American, Trump supporter, and even anti-vaxxer. Because they were exposed to snowballs of lies. If you don't step in and put an end to, it keeps going... going... going....

image.png.9e1217b2e3d24306d535394318d1678e.png

I know there are people that can't be changed, they are losers that gets a kick from it, because they can't create anything themselves. But leaving them unchecked is dangerous, and there are honest people being convinced by them. In this example, I don't know if the person who wrote this on Wikia was being serious or just making an obviously ultra-ironic joke with no intention to cause harm to me, but this user was really showing real concern about it.

lmao, imagine trying to cancel someone for like 10 years only to keep failing.

9 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

That being said, I agree that I should stop engaging with these people directly, but that doesn't means letting them speak evil about me as much as they want. 

if you are refearing to me with this coment then i guess i should clarify what i meant 

when i said that nothing would have happened if you "kept your month shut" what i meant that all the hate bonner people has for brutal doom is because the things you said in the past

you have come a long way to clarify everything in all thees years but unfortnate these things you did in the past are still going to affect you now

if someone goes "oh i wonder who made this mod" and searchs your name it wont be long before they hear about what you said and most of these people wont be here long enough to see that you apologised and moved on

my comment was not bashing you or your work in any way but just a though that was popping up on my head somewhat recentely kinda like what happened to phil fish a guy that was really talented but lost his place in the industry because he kept saying shit things over and over again

i think the best take away from all this like i said above is to be carefull about what you say on the internet this can and will come to haunt you forever

though i apologise if my commets passed any ill intent that was not what i wanted

10 hours ago, Chezza said:

Not a bad idea, but it would be better to let others respond and link it. So say in Doomworld another BD discussion pops up and people bring up your past, a member can just link it and end it there. If you did it, it may come off as over defensive to some people and leaves room for haters to fan the flames.

totally!

We all know when something is wrong or bad.

Glad to see another good passer by that don't shy away or look the other way :)

This kind of everyday actions are the ones that can make the difference on the long run.

Hello there! I'm lokbustam257, and this is Bean of Doomworld, the show where we gave grade to a classic and thread about Brutal Doom #59680. Why? Because ranking thing is fun!

(no hate on mountpain27)

Brutal Doom is good fun, i bust it out every now then when I want to replay the IWADs for a short time. I get the appeal and why it blew up like it did. its a very straight forward gameplay mod that just exaggerates the run and gun aspects of Doom.

My opinion of my opinion of Brutal Doom is that it is exactly the predictable guff you'd expect from a pixel-loving mostly advanced port spurning nostalgia-turd. 'Eww, it's too busy!' 'It's got features for the sake of features' 'Doom is fine as it is'. Back to your chair grandpa!

Spare and forgive Mark of his mistakes. Don't be a part of the cancel culture cancer that is present in the likes of Twitter nowadays which never forgives people. That's all I have to say here.

My opinion:

Brutal doom is a very cool gameplay wad. It can be a bit too much gory, but there are different cvars for changing it!

I personally dont play brutal doom too much, but its because i dont play gameplay mods too much. I prefer playing wads with new maps instead.

Brutal doom is alright, though the fact that it has the option for reloading really rubs me the wrong way most of the time tbh. I feel it's better in moderation if anything also I feel like modern DooM do a much better job at what it trying to achieve. Now if Eternal could bring snap-map back and make id-tech more accessible for moddders than modern DooM would really shine even more.

On 3/17/2021 at 5:21 PM, Doom_Dude said:

In Dootal Brum

Drootal Brum.

Makes your game go vroom.

I like the brutal doom mod but I don't use it all the time.

I think its fun to play on Realistic Mode and make the difficulty hard so its very limited to how much I cant be hit before I die.
It makes me have to be more strategic and plan and wait carefully when fighting.
(I usually die a bunch anyways but its fun to at least try to survive!)

It's all right. It's a bit much for me — that half-dead pinkie state is gnarly —but like a lot of game mods, it's a fun power fantasy as opposed to the vanilla game's more balanced action.

I respect Brutal doom for what it is but it's not for me.  I remember when I first heard about it and was pretty excited to check it out.  After playing it for a short time, I quickly decided it's just not for me.  Classic doom is just too close to perfection that I think almost any change is going to be a net negative.  Honestly, I will probably never play or watch a playthrough of brutal doom again.