Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireballCaco

What's the worst megawad for Doom?

6 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Hey man this one's got Megawatt and Megalab, so it can't be all bad.

It's... okay

It's mostly just that the levels did not age well at all.

For me it would probably be something that's quite popular, preferring (often at least) classic style gameplay and aesthetics.  i actually immediately thought of a certain WAD (it would certainly earn my nomination in contrast to its popularity) but am not going to state it because it's all about preferences and tastes.  People are all too quick to hate what is different to their preferences - it's often kinda saddening to read absolutely hateful reviews of some WADs that i think are brilliant, but then, it says more about those people than it says about the WAD.  At any rate, after a few maps of this certain popular WAD i thought i was wasting my time and not enjoying either the gameplay or the aesthetics - don't care how much trouble was seen for it, nor how clever it all supposedly was.

Mattbrat's Level Pack (I think that's how you spell it)

And ProDoomer.

Way back in the days before user reviews were implemented there, I was poking through the idgames archive for something to try.  Tried something called arcade.wad at random.  It is trash.  I'd rather not say anything else about it.

OK, I will.  Picture the same nearly featureless arena for 30 maps with nothing changing other than the monster composition.  Maybe not the absolute worst out there but feels like a contender for enormous dud.

Maybe for you, but someone made it, so someone thought it had value.  Someone thought it's the kind of wad they'd want to play.  Not a dud, then.  Just not for you.

i looked it up.  Yeah, people liked it, too. 

19 hours ago, dei_eldren said:

For me it would probably be something that's quite popular, preferring (often at least) classic style gameplay and aesthetics.  i actually immediately thought of a certain WAD (it would certainly earn my nomination in contrast to its popularity) but am not going to state it because it's all about preferences and tastes.  People are all too quick to hate what is different to their preferences - it's often kinda saddening to read absolutely hateful reviews of some WADs that i think are brilliant, but then, it says more about those people than it says about the WAD.  At any rate, after a few maps of this certain popular WAD i thought i was wasting my time and not enjoying either the gameplay or the aesthetics - don't care how much trouble was seen for it, nor how clever it all supposedly was.

You shouldn't be afraid to state what wad you like or don't like, even if your preference is considered against the norm.

Likewise, if there are people who dislike the wad that you like, then just ignore them.

For example, I am personally not a fan of Scythe 2 (the wad that is currently at 3rd spot in the Doomworld community top wads of all time thread and was at 1st spot for majority of the thread's lifetime) . It's far from a bad wad, but there are tons of wads I like more than it.

37 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

For example, I am personally not a fan of Scythe 2 (the wad that is currently at 3rd spot in the Doomworld community top wads of all time thread and was at 1st spot for majority of the thread's lifetime) . It's far from a bad wad, but there are tons of wads I like more than it.

This is actually interesting topic in itself, and i'm going to find  some old threads to read on popular wads that some people dislike (i imagine there's more than one such thread!).  Personally i find not liking Scythe 2 hard to believe though i have only sampled it, it's on my list of classic wads to play this year :)

Obviously it's not the 'worst wad ever', i can see why it's so beloved, but because of the hype and general opinion, the buildup expectations and my subsequent disappointment after the first few levels, Eviternity came automatically to my mind.  The first levels were for me impressive, but the novelty wore off for me in the 2nd episode (so it's not difficulty that turned me off it).  This isn't to say that there aren't some genuinely good levels in the first episode, but for me the quality went down in the second, and what was left was the now-tiresome gimmick of visuals, novelty and cleverness.

18 minutes ago, dei_eldren said:

Personally i find not liking Scythe 2 hard to believe though i have only sampled it, it's on my list of classic wads to play this year :).

I actually like the first 20 levels of the wad, especially the Egyptian episode (Maps 6 to 10). But the custom enemies, coupled with the sudden shift to slaughter style at Map23 really turned me off.

As for Eviternity, I might be a bit biased here (since it is my favorite wad), but I recommend to give Episode 3 onwards a try. Maybe you might like the later levels.

From what I gather, you gave up at Episode 2, which I think is understandable because maps 7, 8 and 9 are kind of samey with not much interesting things going on in them.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

I actually like the first 20 levels of the wad, especially the Egyptian episode (Maps 6 to 10). But the custom enemies, coupled with the sudden shift to slaughter style at Map23 really turned me off.

As for Eviternity, I might be a bit biased here (since it is my favorite wad), but I recommend to give Episode 3 onwards a try. Maybe you might like the later levels.

From what I gather, you gave up at Episode 2, which I think is understandable because maps 7, 8 and 9 are kind of samey with not much interesting things going on in them.

As for Scythe 2, i don't think there's any wad, unless it's completely thematic and made by one person, that doesn't have some levels that in style will not suit everyone who like it - this at least holds true even of Hell Revealed and Kama Sutra.  So yeah, i dislike slaughter myself, like the ending of Scythe 1 in particular, but despite of that it's still one of my favourite wads all in all.  i'm now playing 180 Minutes Pour Vivre and though i think it's an absolute classic, it looks like the last few levels might be for me unplayable.

i quit Eviternity at level 8, so you're absolutely right and possibly know what you're talking about :)  i'll keep in mind what you said, if i hit a momentary slump, then i certainly gave up too early.  Which btw is why i'll keep taking part in the DWmegawad Club coming months, too, since it's an incentive to play and hang on to stuff that i could normally give up on easily.  In the end it's all Doom and ... beats watching Netflix etc :D

51 minutes ago, Krull said:

If you don't like Eviternity by level 8, chances are you won't enjoy the rest.

Well, it's not quite that grim as i did like the earlier levels.  But then the levels 6-8 really annoyed me for some reason and i thought there was a lot of baseless hype.

But, today i played from the start of 2nd episode to map09, and really enjoyed them - especially map09, even if i was so totally unable to put the layout together in my head - really complex progression and layout.  i think for various reasons i was unfair, but i've also 'grown' a lot as a Doom player since my first attempt - back then i concluded it's sort of a modern gimmick wad, but now i recognized that actually it's not that far from classic gameplay.  To be honest, i might join this choir and admit it's a really really good wad.  Unless something drastic happens in next levels.

So thanks @ReaperAA  i needed a new wad to play anyway, soon being finished with 180 Minutes and Hell Revealed.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:55 PM, Crusader No Regret said:

Way back in the days before user reviews were implemented there, I was poking through the idgames archive for something to try.  Tried something called arcade.wad at random.  It is trash.  I'd rather not say anything else about it.

OK, I will.  Picture the same nearly featureless arena for 30 maps with nothing changing other than the monster composition.  Maybe not the absolute worst out there but feels like a contender for enormous dud.

Ahh you beat me to it.

I played half a dozen or so levels before I stopped. It's hypnotic...