Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SelacoDev

[WIP] Selaco - a brand new standalone shooter running on GZDoom

Cool new footage! Now, that is what I call a shotgun!

However, I have to wonder: should this thread not be moved to Everything Else? Or does it still belong here despite being a commercial game?

Edited by Rudolph

Lovely shotgun, those framework really it's excelent.

And, i trink it's should stay in Mods, but maybe a poll would be needed.

2 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Lovely shotgun, those framework really it's excelent.

And, i trink it's should stay in Mods, but maybe a poll would be needed.

Doomworld could definitely use a Other IdTech Games subforum.

3 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Cool new footage! Now, that is what I call a shotgun!

However, I have to wonder: should this thread not be moved to Everything Else? Or does it still belong here despite being a commercial game?

New video! The one you linked has been deleted because it was in 30fps, whoops! 

And I have no idea.. I felt like this was the right place for it because I've seen other standalone TC's posted here. :(

47 minutes ago, nexxtic28 said:

And I have no idea.. I felt like this was the right place for it because I've seen other standalone TC's posted here. :(

I am just asking, because the thread keeps getting buried by Doom WADs and other non-commercial projects.

1 minute ago, Rudolph said:

I am just asking, because the thread keeps getting buried by Doom WADs and other non-commercial projects.

I honestly like the idea of ''Other idTech games''. Especially now that GZDoom is becoming more and more popular among indie developers.

The thread can be moved easily enough, but it will face the same issues in Everything Else as well. Up to you nexxtic if you would like it moved. 

I didn't connect the dots before that GZDoom was this viable as an engine and now my mind is blown and I need to learn more. 

Spoiler

Enemies being able to shoot back while down. That is a nice touch.

Also, interesting use of the Danganronpa blood! :P

14 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Enemies being able to shoot back while down. That is a nice touch.

Also, interesting use of the Danganronpa blood! :P

Glowing pink blood is awesome. Don't @ me!

1 hour ago, Korozive said:

Blood is showing purple on my screen and no it looks weird. Blood is RED.

Xenomorphs, predators, covenant aliens from Halo dont bleed red either. 

The purple is awesome and its a huge part of the game's identiity; it is not being changed.

3 hours ago, Rudolph said:

So Selaco is set in the Danganronpa universe?

Nah, we didn't make our blood purple for the sake of ratings.

There's plenty of red too!

7 hours ago, nexxtic28 said:

Xenomorphs, predators, covenant aliens from Halo dont bleed red either. 

Nor do the Cacodemon, the Baron of Hell and the Hell Knight. Or at least, they are not supposed to be!

Awesome! Looking forward to see this gets released. Following and wishlisting.

9 hours ago, Uni said:

Awesome! Looking forward to see this gets released. Following and wishlisting.

Thank you :) Truly hope it's going to be a great time for you when it releases!

I'm not updating this thread as much as I'd like, apologies! We're just really busy making everything feels as awesome as we can make it. I'm going to rewrite the entire OP soon because it's very outdated at this point. 

In the meantime, here is a short little gameplay clip. Let me know your thoughts!

On 6/4/2021 at 9:31 PM, Rudolph said:

What are the achievements for?

Lets pretend I was not way overdue with this reply.

Selaco has a few different types of currencies, but I'll explain the major ones. 

- Credits (used for Armor, Ammo, Health),

- Weapon Parts (used to modify weapons). Will show off that system later during an extended demonstration.

We're working on a cool little UI for it. Weapons will have more upgrades than in the picture below, but here's an early look at it :) 

image.png.3983981ab33d8cf925fbf93804d90f14.png

Hey, it is fine! This is a forum after all, not an instant messenging app. :P

Thanks for answering my question.

Just wanna say I hope you'll keep that purple blood, it's perfect.

I like the designs and effects. And gameplay pace - nothing but praise so far. 

I didn't buy the game Viscerafest because it seems to be too short so far. And Selaco has much more detail than Viscerafest so I'm concerned it will have even less content. The levels don't have to be big, actually quite the opposite, I like when the levels are compact and have a puzzle-like structure. Until one finds the solution to approach the situation, the level is too challenging to finish. That's just the idea I would have for making small levels into something satisfying to complete.

Edited by game

1 hour ago, game said:

Just wanna say I hope you'll keep that purple blood, it's perfect.

I like the designs and effects. And gameplay pace - nothing but praise so far. 

I didn't buy the game Viscerafest because it seems to be too short so far. And Selaco has much more detail than Viscerafest so I'm concerned it will have even less content. The levels don't have to be big, actually quite the opposite, I like when the levels are compact and have a puzzle-like structure. Until one finds the solution to approach the situation, the level is too challenging to finish. That's just the idea I would have for making small levels into something satisfying to complete.

It's a lengthy game, do not worry! We also have an Incursion Game mode which serves as a replayable mode.

Selaco does not have levels I'm a traditional sense. Sure, each 'level' gets their own little titlecard, but you can traverse all the way back to earlier levels if you ever want to given how it's a completely uninterrupted journey. Given our minor metroidvania elements, going back to an old level to do things you previously could not can lead to some interesting things. I refuse to release a short game and hope to get an additional level designer on board soon to help us make some additional maps. But as it stands right now, it will be of good length. We have a good bit of story to cover.

We have been given an opportunity to show our game *somewhere* soon, where we will dive deeper into mechanics.

2 minutes ago, Scorpio said:

What about macOS support? 

It's powered by GZDoom, so it will have the same Macos support as GZDoom.