Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xfing

This game is less fair than Eternal

And possibly harder too, barring the DLCs. In Eternal threre are  no 60 damage doing, shot-leading Imps and you have dash to dodge pinkies. Replayed the game just recently after playing Eternal exclusively for a while and I found myself really struggling due to the diminished mobility. Anyone got similar impressions?

no way. I've beaten 2016 on nightmare 3 times. Every time is a blast. I actually have more fun playing 2016 then DE.

My tip it's spam the holographic grenade in the arena, to have a chance of some Imps trowing instead there, and learn some Gauss Jumps to skip some Pinkies, not possible in some rooms (Frick you A R C labs) but in others opens areas that would be your triple jump.

I really like Doom 2016 and the combat feels more focused than Eternal to me in some respects. But it just feels so fucking slow.

I don't know about less fair. Maybe a bit, there were a few times I died immediately post glory kill I think -- as in so immediately that entering the glory kill condemned me to death -- but at least in nightmare, yeah, I found the mobility made it much harder to dodge attacks than in DE.

I replayed it lately, and I'd say compared to Eternal the early game is slightly harder because the shotgun is pretty lame and the explosive shot mod is much weaker, but then as soon you start to get the OP as shit runes that were never rebalanced in any way (like the ammo rune that randomly drops BFG charges lolz) and the gauss cannon with the meme mode mod, every enemy just instantly melts regardless of difficulty. Also the stun bomb mod on the plasma basically works as if you had the ice bomb from Eternal on a permanent 3 second cooldown and totally shuts down any heavy demon whenever you want. Doom 2016 is totally broken as shit in favour of the player in terms of balancing if you compare it to Eternal.

22 minutes ago, BoxY said:

I replayed it lately, and I'd say compared to Eternal the early game is slightly harder because the shotgun is pretty lame and the explosive shot mod is much weaker, but then as soon you start to get the OP as shit runes that were never rebalanced in any way (like the ammo rune that randomly drops BFG charges lolz) and the gauss cannon with the meme mode mod, every enemy just instantly melts regardless of difficulty. Also the stun bomb mod on the plasma basically works as if you had the ice bomb from Eternal on a permanent 3 second cooldown and totally shuts down any heavy demon whenever you want. Doom 2016 is totally broken as shit in favour of the player in terms of balancing if you compare it to Eternal.

I have to say, i was late to the Party on Doom 2016, played it a bit before Eternal and i struggled a bit here and there.

After learning the Mechanics in Eternal, Doom 2016 became MUCH easier, you can really melt the Demons down.

But it seemed that this makes the Game now much more Fun to play it more causal if you want to just rage through Demons.

I like how the Game is and if i want it the other Way, i can just start Eternal.

Also wouldn't call one better suited than the other, a bit different Focus on each other.

On the other Hand, the first DLC of Eternal went to far and exhauses me.

Like you are working in a Store and a few Minutes before Closer there are entering annoying Customers again and again.

Still have to play through DLC 2 to get an Opinion

Well, I may simply have little talent for these games or not have put in enough hours, but whenever I die in Eternal I always understand why and what I did wrong (doesn't mean I can overcome this mistake like immediately), while in 2016 I'm just walking somewhere or minding my own business and boom, dead. I was happy do discover how holding the weapon wheel bugs the Spider Mastermind, making the boss fight a non-issue, but I still struggle heavily in the late game arena fights with at least several deaths per arena on nightmare. I'm sure I'd improve if I put in more hours - there are definitely some easier parts, like how liberal the game is with BFG ammunition - there is nowhere near as much of it in Eternal, especially the DLCs. 

I also used to struggle with the near-aimbot imps that deal huge damage on Nightmare. However, once I applied my Eternal playstyle of quickswapping and decision-making, the game became a cakewalk. And that's me, who can't even handle Eternal's Nightmare difficulty yet.

6 minutes ago, Vic Vos said:

I also used to struggle with the near-aimbot imps that deal huge damage on Nightmare. However, once I applied my Eternal playstyle of quickswapping and decision-making, the game became a cakewalk. And that's me, who can't even handle Eternal's Nightmare difficulty yet.

Funny, I can handle myself on Nightmare in Eternal and even beat it eventually (with many deaths ofc), and I don't even quick swap. I died like 2 or 3 times throughout the whole game on Ultra Violence when playing the extra life mode for the Phobos suit

I replayed it again recently a few months ago. My opinion on the game still stands: It's basically any number of late 90s-early 2000s FPS games, complete with scenes where you get locked in a room while people jabber at you. I didn't find it any faster or more involved than something like Half-Life or Jedi Outcast or Doom 3. The only thing that really stood out among its peers are the boss fights, which are unusually well designed for an FPS game.

It's a good game, I don't mean to come off as super harsh on it or anything, but I guess I just felt like raising some dissent against the general opinion of it :p. Eternal by far the superiour game to me.

When I go back and play 2016, what I miss the most is the meat hook and the flame belch. Being able to replenish armour the same way I can replenish health really makes a difference. Blood punch makes a huge difference when fighting pinkies. Also I'd take auto-refuelling chainsaw with limited ammo over large quantities of ammo with limited opportunities for the chainsaw any day, even if the chainsaw is more useful for larger enemies. 

Tried going back to this game recently and man does it feel like a step back from Eternal in many ways, made me appreciate all the little things DE changed, chainsawing, double dashing, bloodpunching armored manc and pinkies, plasma on shielded guys and hunters and flame belch even more. I was initially thrown off by the different controls but then I just had to set it up again to play similar to DE and I could blaze through nightmare almost blindfolded. Enemies don't attack as often as DE, and the game showers you in ammunition.

I dunno man, '16 gets pretty easy once you expand your arsenal, especially with the cheese you can pull off with runes and their masteries.