Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnknDoomer

Save button addiction

Perhaps it comes from the point I've played too much on "Ultra-Violence" difficult in long list of old FPS games back in the day, glitches in old Windows systems (BSOD and so on), Microsoft Excel with major data, floppy disks with major data, or whatever, but to this day I notice an old habit of save often and sometimes twice in a row when, perhaps, actually don't need so much. Anybody else here do the same?

No. If anything my tendency not to save is probably why I have a hard time finishing WADs. Thank goodness for autosaves in modern games.

Saving twice was a rule that my Mum taught me when I used to play The Sims back in the day since the game had a tendency to crash on me a lot.

Also, save-scumming my way through poorly designed levels is usually how I actually beat a game the first few times through.

8 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Saving twice was a rule that my Mum taught me when I used to play The Sims back in the day since the game had a tendency to crash on me a lot.

And to this day it still randomly crashes, all the way up to the Sims 4 ;-; lost so much progress on buildings and the like as I'd play for hours and not save. EA put a frigging autosave in the Sims already!

But on topic, yes. I tend to save before fights and then after, but sometimes can't remember if I saved after a fight so I'll save again like a minute later. 

Bless autosaves in any game. Ports in Doom are also appreciated with autosaves. In my case, it's better that way because I usually forget to save when I play casually.

I'm like Arlene in the way of saving before/after fights or if I notice a trap that can kill me...

Yep, I save/quick save very often as well, and that extends to documents I may be working on too, nothing sucks more than spending hours working on something and then lose it all. Thankfully autosaving also exists.

My brain refuses to work on Word without ctrl+S every 10 seconds.

Edited by dmslr

Heh, I recall an old magazine commented on the bundled game of the month (Solar Winds shareware) "Be careful, frequent saving will wear out the hard drive's magnetic particles....". Floppies maybe. HDDs not at all, but you might want to heed that 20+ yo advice for SSDs ;-)

I do that a lot while working on anything, I save after doing the minimal change. I go bit farther after that, every ~10 quicksaves, I do a "Save as.." adding a number/letter on the filename:

Model

Model1

Model1a

Model1b...

Always leaving the previous file as a backup, and generally ending up with hundreds of almost identical files in the process lol

This is also the same with games with save functions, if they give me that feature, I'll be sure to (ab)use it a lot XD

i do that a lot on doom and i think it all started when i was part of the pokemon community

man i remenber saving 5 times in a row in pokemon back in the day

I have a habit of saving in UDB every time I so much as move a vertex.

Not sure how, but I have developed that intermittent saving habit, too. Be it UDB, MuseScore, Moonscraper Chart Editor, or even something in Microsoft Word/Google Docs, I find myself hitting CTRL+S after almost every key stroke.

(In fact, I literally tried to hit CTRL+S after typing this post.)

yeah i save a lot on basically all things i do. And when there is no save button (in a lot of videogames) i have a fear of losing all my progress...

I have this habit using Slade, so I save every little change I do in the maps. But I try to limit my saves when playing Doom, even if I have to start the level again with just the pistol.

In games how often I save is basically a reflection of how much I don't like the game. If I'm bored I tend to save extremely often. If I love the game, I forgot the existence of the save button.

With non-gaming software, however, I have the bad (or is it good) habit of saving very often, many times pressing Ctrl + S thrice in a row :D

I like to have fun so saving is hardwired in my head. Always save before and during and after a fight.

Depending on the game, I either quicksave or manually save after a certain section or before ending a section. Sometimes more often if the game is made by Bethesda or Obsidian, as you might be screwed otherwise. Although I do save regularly in Blood.

When editing documents/levels/images/whatever, I don't even realize that I'm hitting Save as often as I do anymore.  It's not even like the things I use crash that often, it's just that past experience has ingrained it in me lol.  What's even more hilarious is when I'm on a site like Doomworld or in some text editor that's not Emacs, and I hit C-x C-s and either cut text accidentally or open up a save dialog I didn't intend for.

In games, I seem to do this less often, especially if it's a stable game.  Sometimes I have to remind myself to save more often, otherwise I get sent back multiple levels when dying and reloading.

"My grandmother could beat the game if she saved as much as you do!"

And yes, I probably save more than is necessary. But to be fair, I hate retracing my footsteps.

Related to C-s addiction, I seem to hit C to clear my selection far, far, far more often than necessary in UDB.  I'm not the only one who does this, right? ....right?

Constantly saving is like putting a seatbelt on in a parked car, you probably won't need it and maybe some jerk will laugh at you for doing it, but you'll be happy you did if there is a crash.