Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

12 hours ago, antiq445 said:

Here you can submit the source ports of doom and what your favourtie one is!

Thank you so much for the kind invitation. Now we can do something that we have dreamed about for so long but have been unable to accomplish.

Eternity. It's the doomiest-feeling of the advanced ports. Or the most advanced of the doomy-feeling ports? Strikes a great balance between adding modern niceties while maintaining the particulars of Doom's gameplay, and has a killer set of mapping features too. It's been my main port for around 15 years now.

PrBoom+. Its performance is amazing, its alternative HUD is nice to look at, and I personally find the setting menus very comfy to navigate.

I use GZDoom as default, but Eternity Engine in good when I want to record demos as well as as test my maps. IMO it's better than PrBoom+ mainly due to how it feels "sticky" in comparison to Eternity.

A tie between Odamex, Zandronum, ZDaemon, Chocolate Doom and Vanilla itself for me personally. I also like PrBoom+, Crispy, and as of recently Eternity Engine, but I use them far less often. There are also other source ports I’ve used over the years that I liked which are pretty much retired by now, but I still remember them fondly.

I've defaulted DSDA-Doom for a while now, though I do enjoy almost any port. Other mains are Eternity, Crispy, ZDoom 2.8.1 and GZDoom. I favor the software rendered look in Doom, so I tend use GZDoom only for the maps / mods that absolutely need it.

GZDoom. It has been said before, "it just works" and supports hardware acceleration for real smooth gameplay.

I love prboom-plus to death, but I have to go with GZDoom. DECORATE and ACS are both such fun things to mess around with, and even if I don't know much of Zscript I'm always impressed by what people manage to do with it.

It's GZDoom for me and has been for a long time now.

I only clued in to K8 Vavoom being a thing the other day while searching the forums. Only played part of a map in it, but the port is well worth checking out.

Zandronum and DSDA-Doom

DSDA-Doom's better mouse code alone makes it the successor to PrBoom+ IMO

GZDoom for it's kickass alternate HUD and ease of saving , followed by PrBoom+ for its vanilla accuracy

I used to play on Prboom+. Now I mostly play on GZDoom with compatibility settings. Most add-ons I like only works on this source port, for example custom widescreen status bars, it works smoother than other ports with high refresh monitors and it is very versatile, so I use it.

I would use Eternity Engine, but it only has software mode, which I don't like with good-looking wads.

What is your favorite Doom Source Port?

Mine is pretty much Crispy Doom since its pretty accurate to its original and it removed some limitations that the original version of DOOM had.