Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Muusi

Brightmaps-like lighting for Vanilla Doom!

Noiser is a cool dude, I have no doubt at all that he’d be fine with you sharing a DL link, especially since you’ve given credit to D4V.

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Noiser is a cool dude, I have no doubt at all that he’d be fine with you sharing a DL link, especially since you’ve given credit to D4V.

Sent him a message just in case :)

8 minutes ago, Reelvonic said:

this is pretty awesome lookin👍

edit: i will now never be able to unsee the cyberdemon's nostrils as eyes

Of fuck sorry man! This disease musn't spread! It's always been kinda hard to be scared of him as the nostril eyes make him look absolutely ridiculous. The worst part is, you know where his eyes really are but your brain still fucks you over!

2 minutes ago, Reelvonic said:

tis a shame, worse than when i was told that digglets nose looks like a derpy mouth

Oh my god and there's even a tooth in there! Now were even :D

now this is cool!

great work, pal!

a good way to replay those really darkened mapsets and don't get raped in the dark while shooting aimlessly to the walls.

Sorry for the late response, feel free to use or share them! I'm a big fan of the software render look and any work for it make me smile. Just be aware that some textures may use one of these colors incorrectly, but you can easily modify them to avoid that. D4V was a project developed with lots of "trials and errors" - now that I am a bit more experienced I would have made some things differently, like using most of the pink color slots since those are not used anywhere (except for the cacodemon ball\commander keen t-shirt).

Feel free to send me any question you may have. I may not be able to answer right away, but I will try to help as much as I can. :-)  

Edited by Noiser

My God this looks amazing!

I've always wanted to have something like this for Software Rendering, and saw D4V had it but there wasn't any for Vanilla

Thanks thanks a lot!

Noiser had no problems with me stealing his excellent work so i made an edit on OP with a download link. Thanks for the positive feedback!

I've lurked on the forum since something like 2003 probably and It's kinda surreal to have made my own little contribution after all these years :)

1 hour ago, RonnieColeman said:

Can you make the lava fullbright like in D4V?

I have a long weekend coming and i'm gonna make a version 2 as i got instructions from Noiser how to modify the colormap. I'll try making switches that have a light, lava, etc fullbright :)

Fuck yeah dudes and dudettes!

Screenshot_Doom_20210330_234936.png.265eb9380dcc5ea76d7dbacc4c0e320b.png

Those armor pick ups seem to need some too :P

Screenshot_Doom_20210330_234919.png.cd289f700f387472355a48c30f341d57.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210330_234852.png.2e042adf228302e2c7dd27e16597b808.png

It's all vanilla-compatible ;) Can't wait to finish and share with you guys!

Once again i have to give Noiser a huge thanks for making me an in-depth guide on how to mess with the colormap and the inspiration i got from his kickass WAD, Doom 4 Vanilla.

Edited by Muusi

Can you share the pipeline on how to do this? I get how it works, but not which tools to use/how/where/when in order to pull it off.

On 4/3/2021 at 3:34 AM, DU0 said:

Can you share the pipeline on how to do this? I get how it works, but not which tools to use/how/where/when in order to pull it off.

I'm a complete noob too. I just exported the Colormap as a PNG with SLADE, opened the PNG in Paint, selected a top section of a color that i want to be fullbright, pull it downwards so the top color goes all the way down without getting darker, then save the PNG, import it back to SLADE and convert the PNG to a Doom Flat. It's super easy. 

12 hours ago, Muusi said:

I'm a complete noob too. I just exported the Colormap as a PNG with SLADE, opened the PNG in Paint, selected a top section of a color that i want to be fullbright, pull it downwards so the top color goes all the way down without getting darker, then save the PNG, import it back to SLADE and convert the PNG to a Doom Flat. It's super easy. 

Thanks for taking the time to write this out, but this is not really the info I was looking for. I mentioned the pipeline specifically because I think it'd be cool to be able to rework the textures and flats to look like the above screenshots. I've recently run into a lot of free time, so I feel like I could at least help out or pull it off in a few days.

My biggest issue right now is on converting files in and out of Slade. I find it super unreliable to work with palettes. A while ago I ran into some issues trying to work out tranmaps, because it would apparentely lose data after importing and stuff would change formats. A proper tutorial could save me a lot of headache.

16 minutes ago, DU0 said:

Thanks for taking the time to write this out, but this is not really the info I was looking for. I mentioned the pipeline specifically because I think it'd be cool to be able to rework the textures and flats to look like the above screenshots. I've recently run into a lot of free time, so I feel like I could at least help out or pull it off in a few days.

My biggest issue right now is on converting files in and out of Slade. I find it super unreliable to work with palettes. A while ago I ran into some issues trying to work out tranmaps, because it would apparentely lose data after importing and stuff would change formats. A proper tutorial could save me a lot of headache.

Oh sorry for the misunderstanding. The textures and sprites were edited inside SLADE with color remapping and in some cases by hand with the drawing tool.