Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scrabbs

To everyone who has played on only UV play Nightmare

My first play through back in match was on UV. I liked Eternal, but really didn't care for much for it. It was around the same level of quality of Quake 2 and some of Quake 1 for me. Certainly better than 2016, but that's not saying much considering my distaste for it. I thought the game lost what was doom's biggest strength was how you approach certain enemies/combat scenarios and how quick on your feet you had to be. When I first played eternal I hardly experimented with weapon combos and when I did they hardly yielded any results in comparison approaching the fight the most basic way. I went through TAG1 with this mindset and I got my shit rocked. SO I had to experiment with my playstyle and weapon choice and I had a blast. I decided to go back to base campaign on nightmare and honestly I'm really glad I did. Everything feels right,the enemies feel like they aren't being restricted or handicapped and the experimentation with weapons is at the fore front since it's do or die. I'm not going to lie I died a lot at cultist base and I wanted to shift back to UV but I pushed through and now I feel like I can beat any fight the game gives me. I'm at the gladiator fight as of now and have 7 extra lives. This game is very rewarding to dominate once you get the hang of everything. To everyone who was under whelmed by Eternal and only played on UV I urge you to give it a shot again on Nightmare. The game truly shines at that mode. The only advice I can give you is try not play when you're tense and try to relax when you play. This is the biggest pitfall I see with people trying out nightmare, nothing is really at stake so there's no reason to be worked up over dying. If nothing else having a few beers eased my nerves and got me through cultist base finally.

Edited by Scrabbs

I finished the campaign on ITYTD, first 5 lvls of HMP, first 3 lvls of UV, and first 3 lvls of NM. The only difference I notice is the amount of damage enemies do. Supposedly they attack more, but even on ITYTD, they attack a lot so any more then that I don't notice. I don't enjoy the game more than I did on ITYTD, its just that I get punished more for mistakes. I like playing NM because it forces me to play better. But I don't enjoy the game more because of it. I saw a few comments on forums and social media that some people enjoy the game more on higher difficulties but I'm certainly not one of them. Difficulty setting feels like it only affects enemy damage. I know this may not be factually true, but it feels true in my experience of playing the game. Whether I play on ITYTD or NM, I still am engaged in the gameplay and using all gameplay systems.

1 hour ago, Scrabbs said:

To everyone who was under whelmed by Eternal and only played on UV I urge you to give it a shot again on Nightmare. The game truly shines at that mode.

Absolutely, the game is not worth playing on any other difficulty than nightmare in my opinion.

35 minutes ago, RookieSlayer said:

Difficulty setting feels like it only affects enemy damage.

I've just tested that and you are wrong, yes enemies deal a ton more damage on nightamre but on ITYTD ai is way dumber, demons attack way less, projectile speed is reduced. It seems that there is a bigger gap in difficulty between UV and nightmare than ITYTD and UV.

I would like, that with difficulty also numbers of enemies increases, like in old Doom. Most shooters from last decade, including my second favorite Bioshock Infinite has same number of enemies for all difiiculties. Too bad this difficulty scaling is over.

29 minutes ago, Yurax said:

I would like, that with difficulty also numbers of enemies increases, like in old Doom.

Hugo said in his last stream that he would love to do this but it cannot be done due to technical reasons, maybe, but what is more probable that if Id really wanted to implement this it would be possible but it would take waaay too much work and they simply don't have time for that.

I think the biggest barrier to changing monster spawns based on difficulty is that it opens a gigantic can of worms with regards to on-the-fly difficulty changing, a feature in 2016 and Eternal, and for that record almost all modern games... The only Doom game to have changed spawns based on difficulty and the ability to change on the fly was Doom 3, and it wasn't particularly well done. Damage traits would change normally, but spawns wouldn't. It's also more design work to set up, compared to adjusting AI traits and the like

4 hours ago, Stoltzmann said:

I've just tested that and you are wrong, yes enemies deal a ton more damage on nightamre but on ITYTD ai is way dumber, demons attack way less, projectile speed is reduced. It seems that there is a bigger gap in difficulty between UV and nightmare than ITYTD and UV.

The next sentence I wrote: "I know this may not be factually true, but it feels true in my experience of playing the game."

You either didn't read that sentence or purposefully omitted it to declare how WRONG I am. If the game played way differently, there is no way I would be able to finish the first three levels of NM difficulty. I just started my playthrough recently. The same strats I used for ITYTD have worked for the most part in NM. I just need to play a bit more cautious at times. Pickups contain less health/armor, I forgot to mention this. Enemy AI being way dumber? Not in my experience...

On 3/29/2021 at 5:20 AM, Stoltzmann said:

Hugo said in his last stream that he would love to do this but it cannot be done due to technical reasons

l m a o

Took me about a year to finally git gud on NM, but thanks to it I got actually better at other FPS games, so that's nice.

On 3/28/2021 at 4:20 PM, Stoltzmann said:

Hugo said in his last stream that he would love to do this but it cannot be done due to technical reasons, maybe, but what is more probable that if Id really wanted to implement this it would be possible but it would take waaay too much work and they simply don't have time for that.

My take in that, the enemies on the levels are hard coded in the campaing, so if we gonna make say, a most harder version for Nigthmare, it's would be they own Campaing, instead of sharing the one of the main campaing.

The practical solution would be something as the Master Levels, but they are coming slow, at least PC Fans made they own master levels.