Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elend

Hurt - Singleplayer map in hell

So my old i5 2500k running close to 5ghz would probably be running Doom much better. I mean this is the only map that gives me any trouble, but it looks so damn good I guess it's expected. And turning Vulkan on definitely improved performance.

Edited by dd93

2 hours ago, dd93 said:

So my old i5200k running close to 5ghz would probably be running Doom much better. I mean this is the only map that gives me any trouble, but it looks so damn good I guess it's expected. And turning Vulkan on definitely improved performance.

Remember that GHz is not the only metric for single threaded performance. IPC (Instructions Per Cycle) also matters. Newer generations CPUs generally have higher IPC than older gen ones. Also AMD CPUs today are ahead of Intel CPUs in IPC.

Though in your case, you should have better single threaded performance with i5200k compared to Ryzen 1600 even if IPC is slightly less.

Edited by ReaperAA

35 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Also AMD CPUs today are ahead of Intel CPUs in IPC.

It also depends what you're using them for. Ryzen/AMD is nowadays a very good alternative to Intel (and usually much cheaper) when it comes to gaming, but the latter still has the edge.

I wonder where most people see a problem with the performance, I only had issues with the last, open area.

Wow! this map is simply amazing, and it makes excellent use of stock textures as well!  You sir are a true master and thank you for the awesome 2 hours it took me to beat it.

I just tryed to play this wad with project brutality and there are seriuos problems about the lag, the game is totally unplayable.. even when you play in original mode you can get slow lag but when you mix it with a mod is terrible men, I would like to see more further about this project, maybe an update, this map looks very cool to play.

1 minute ago, Armand said:

I just tryed to play this wad with project brutality and there are seriuos problems about the lag, the game is totally unplayable.. even when you play in original mode you can get slow lag but when you mix it with a mod is terrible men, I would like to see more further about this project, maybe an update, this map looks very cool to play.

If a map was not designed with a particular mod in mind, then any compatibility issues with that mod (be it slow down or functional) are the responsibility of the mod author to address (should they wish), not the map author. 

You should be posting this over on the Project Brutality forums. It could be the mod has introduced a feature that is incompatible with detailed UDMF maps like this - if that's the case, it won't be exclusive to Hurt.

Alternatively, it could just be that you need a more powerful PC.

Well, Im just saying because I played several wads with Doom 2 without ploblem using project brutality mod like whispers of satan, sigil, scythe.. but this particular wad have a lot of lag problems even when you play without any mod you can get slow lag.. and I dont think is my computer I have AMD Radeon R4 graphic card so I dont know whats going wrong.

4 hours ago, Armand said:

Well, Im just saying because I played several wads with Doom 2 without ploblem using project brutality mod like whispers of satan, sigil, scythe.. but this particular wad have a lot of lag problems even when you play without any mod you can get slow lag.. and I dont think is my computer I have AMD Radeon R4 graphic card so I dont know whats going wrong.

Maybe it's the fact that Hurt has over twice as many lines as every single Sigil map combined!  It quite literally is 20 times more detailed than the average Sigil map.

Not to mention it makes heavy use of advanced graphical effects, in particular extensive use of dynamic lights (there are nearly 3,000 of them in the map).

Comparing Hurt to those megawads is like comparing a souped-up 2019 Lamborghini to a four-door family estate from 1993 and wondering why it uses more fuel.  On top of that, you're loading a mod that has its own high system requirements.  So really it's like a 2019 Lamborghini dragging a fridge.  

And on top of all that, you're running an integrated graphics card from 2014.  

So to complete the analogy, this is like you pouring low grade cooking oil into a 2019 Lamborghini dragging a fridge, and are wondering why it doesn't work very well.

I'd argue, if it already runs slow even without a mod ontop of it, then there's no chance I can "fix" anything. You'd need a beefier computer or try some other mapsets with less dynamic lights maybe. Also don't forget to check your GzDoom settings (I assume that's what you use) and turn of things like Antialiasing and especially Ambient Occlusion.

I just replayed this level today, I have a geforce 1030 graphics card.  A year ago when I first played Hurt, gzdoom was lagging a lot to handle the final fight.  Today with the newer gzdoom version there was almost no lag at all, ending fight was very smooth.  My system specs have not changed at all.

I've tested on the latest GZDoom and LZDoom running from Delta Touch with my Redmi Note 8. It runs very well in both ports. The only differences are performance and visual effects, but I'm gonna focus on performance because is obvious who wins when it comes to graphics. Both ports have the same problem: drops fps when it comes to open areas; however, this issue is less noticeable in GZDoom (which is ironic considering LZDoom's visual limitations).