Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ar_e_en

I (possibly) made the first fan-made map for REKKR!

22 minutes ago, 7Soul said:

Good job! I don't know why there aren't more maps made for it, it's a great game

I think that one of the main reasons why there aren't more unofficial maps made for REKKR is due to it's implementation of DeHacked. One problem that I constantly had while making this is that enemies, items and decorations have very specific IDs in REKKR and SLADE only lists entity IDs as if they were for regular DOOM (some of the IDs in REKKR are displayed as "question marks" when SLADE is displaying some of the REKKR entities). I had to look into the original REKKR maps in order to find out what the REKKR IDs were for some of the entities. That's part of the reason why the enemy verity in my map isn't that big - I haven't mapped out all the REKKR IDs. If only I had a spreadsheet of all the REKKR IDs.

Very Nice map. Short and very simple, but fun nonetheless ( I won't be doing a full playtesting analysis since it is very simple and there's not much to analyze ). I'm sure @Revae would want to see this. This reminds me, I  really need to finish Rekkr, since I only completed the first episode.

Maybe it's a stupid idea, but Someone should really start a Rekkr Expansion community project. See what a bunch of new and veteran mappers come up with, since most, if not all, of Rekkr is replacements. The ID's could be an issue, though I don't see how that could hinder a bunch of veteran mappers, helping novice mappers where necessary. 

3 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

I think that one of the main reasons why there aren't more unofficial maps made for REKKR is due to it's implementation of DeHacked. One problem that I constantly had while making this is that enemies, items and decorations have very specific IDs in REKKR and SLADE only lists entity IDs as if they were for regular DOOM (some of the IDs in REKKR are displayed as "question marks" when SLADE is displaying some of the REKKR entities). I had to look into the original REKKR maps in order to find out what the REKKR IDs were for some of the entities. That's part of the reason why the enemy verity in my map isn't that big - I haven't mapped out all the REKKR IDs. If only I had a spreadsheet of all the REKKR IDs.

Yeah, I was gonna ask if you did something about that. I went and started messing around with Doom Builder's config and I managed to change thing names:

image.png.7c2dc4fedd5536ab15c80376256b1957.png

The main issue right now is that Doom textures still appear among the REKKR ones

I'm also confused about the IWAD usage. When I ran you map I had to use a Doom1 wad, but in Doom Builder I get a lot of errors regardless of which one I use

4 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

If only I had a spreadsheet of all the REKKR IDs

This is neat as hell. I'll give a go later tonight.

If you open the deh file in whacked or dehacked or some such, you can see all the spawn ids.

I also made a config file for GZDoombuilder-bugfix, but if you're on linux or some such that wouldn't be any help.

58 minutes ago, 7Soul said:

The main issue right now is that Doom textures still appear among the REKKR ones

Oh. I just named all the rekkr textures with "dv" in front of the name, and kassman used "ks_". You need the original doom textures there because rekkr uses the animated patches.

1 hour ago, 7Soul said:

Yeah, I was gonna ask if you did something about that. I went and started messing around with Doom Builder's config and I managed to change thing names:

image.png.7c2dc4fedd5536ab15c80376256b1957.png

I'm also confused about the IWAD usage. When I ran you map I had to use a Doom1 wad, but in Doom Builder I get a lot of errors regardless of which one I use

I used the built in map editor from SLADE and I used ajbsp to create nodes, this may or may not have had an effect on how other editors read the wad file.

28 minutes ago, Revae said:

This is neat as hell. I'll give a go later tonight.

If you open the deh file in whacked or dehacked or some such, you can see all the spawn ids.

I also made a config file for GZDoombuilder-bugfix, but if you're on linux or some such that wouldn't be any help.

Thanks for dropping by :)

22 minutes ago, Revae said:

Oh. I just named all the rekkr textures with "dv" in front of the name, and kassman used "ks_". You need the original doom textures there because rekkr uses the animated patches.

One of the DOOM switch texture pairs is also overwritten in REKKR (the one with the 8 separate switches on one texture). I had to use that one for the switch in the map.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/l3ysqg21vl1cq96/RekGZDBcfg.zip/file
GZDB config, if anyone wants it. I think a few of the monsters aren't defined as the proper width... But yeah. edit: oh, and the eyeball spawner might not be there...

Played the map. It's neat. Fun little E1M1. I only found 2/3 secrets. I like the effect of using the little rock passage for the exit level tunnel.

Edited by Revae

44 minutes ago, Revae said:

edit: oh, and the eyeball spawner might not be there...

It's in there, but DB gives this warning: "Thing number 23 is defined more than once (as "Infinite eyeballs" and "Dead lost soul") in the "Doom: REKKR (Doom format)" game configuration"

Yeah. That's harmless. I have it fixed in the version I'm using, but I can't release that because it also has a few monsters I haven't shown yet.

Edited by Revae

8 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

Didn't they make an iwad version of rekkr?

8 minutes ago, Revae said:

Yeah. That's harmless. I have it fixed in the version I'm using, but I can't release that because it also has a few mlnsters I haven't shown yet.

Does that mean Rekkr 2: Rekk on Earth?

1 hour ago, 7Soul said:

Does that mean Rekkr 2: Rekk on Earth?

Canon ep 4, and selling the whole thing probably on Steam.

I haven't gotten to the paperwork side of things though, just focusing on making stuff.

Note that SLADE will read SLADECFG lumps as additional game configuration, so that's one thing you can do to make it easier for other people to mod.