Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mordeth

Eternity Engine 4.01 Released

3 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

Finally I can play Heretic on high resolutions without gameplay changes

Yep, just tried it. The game is mostly playable, but some of the inventory items (like the morph ovum) and tomed weapons (the Hellstaff and the Gauntlets of Power) still don't work properly.

5 hours ago, D.Vile said:

some of the inventory items (like the morph ovum) and tomed weapons (the Hellstaff and the Gauntlets of Power) still don't work properly.

Heretic support is still a work in progress. You just mentioned the few things that are still left to be implemented.

On 10/14/2020 at 2:11 PM, SilverMiner said:

Finally I can play Heretic on high resolutions without gameplay changes

Sounds like your current options are 2x resolution with Crispy Heretic or GZDoom's rendition of Heretic :D

12 hours ago, VGA said:

GZDoom's rendition of Heretic :D

What is even changed in GZDoom though?

I know about the Tome that it re-selects the weapon once it runs out, but nothing else.

On 10/17/2020 at 1:06 PM, seed said:

What is even changed in GZDoom though?

I know about the Tome that it re-selects the weapon once it runs out, but nothing else.

You never died in Heretic? In Zdoom ports monsters don't start punching each other upon player's death but in Eternity they do that like in vanilla

Eviternity Map 19 doesn't work properly. Pain Elementals don't spawn Lost Souls, and in the pit with two waterfalls and a cyber baron, the hidden doors won't open

Difficult to compile on ubuntu

Clone the adlmidi repo into the adlmidi folder in the source download

replace all references to xlocale.h with locale.h eg from the downloaded source folder:

find . -type f -exec sed -i 's/xlocale.h/locale.h/g' {} \;

Do the same with adlmidi.hpp to adlmidi.h:

find . -type f -exec sed -i 's/adlmidi.hpp/adlmidi.h/g' {} \;

Compiled and ran following these steps.

Testing out EE and Heartland is blowing my mind atm! One question, why changing the video driver doesn't really do anything? Is it my hardware? I'm running an RX 5700 XT. Tried fiddling around with color depth too but it has no effect on anything too.

EDIT: nvm figured it out :D

Edited by Muusi

Because it's only changing the driver, not the renderer. The driver only handles how the frame buffer from the renderer is displayed.

Eternity only has an 8bit software renderer. Adding new ones presents compatibility challenges with existing mapsets, features and assets.

Another question about EE. How can i load custom weapons like Vanilla Smooth Doom or BrutalDEH? Even custom weapons in Valiant don't work🤔 Obviously it can be done somehow since Heartland has a kickass custom arsenal.

EDIT: So, launching EE through Doom Launcher makes everything work, but out of curiosity, what am i doing wrong with just launching EE directly and then loading a WAD from the inbuilt launcher?

Edited by Muusi

The ingame loader has limitations, it doesn't always load dehacked patches properly/at all. It's a known issue, though curiously quite common with ports that have such functionality.

Though it would be worth making sure you are using the latest version. This thread is for an older version.