Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Plutonia Revisited: Community Project 2 (Boom-compatible)- Final Version Released! **IDGAMES LINK UP**

9 hours ago, CyberHog said:

I see you quoted my first post here, you did see that I released a second version with more detail?

Not that is is Sunder-level anyway of course...

I can definitely make it a bit nicer overall and difficulty is the easiest (and funnest!) thing to change. My biggest inspiration level-wise was Aztec, with dwindling tunnels and cave-ish areas. Does not look or play much like that one at all in the end of course.

If the level is too un-Plutonish it's no problem, I can use this map for another project I have in mind as well, but if you think it is salvagable I can fix it as well.

Or just make a completely new level for this one when I have spent more time and gotten better overall.

Ah, forgive me! I had a quick look at the 2nd version, I can see a slight visual improvement but I would honestly recommend starting over and try a new map/layout and use this map for whatever project you have in mind. :)

The last update I made is not the final update.

- Extended exit lift timer
- Improved a few visual effects
- added more monsters to the semi-final fight

PRCP2-HitBoi.wad

Outstanding map franck. Great job. No bugs detected, everything was just perfect. 

I played through a few of the more recent maps. FDA's attached (glboom+ 2.5.1.3, UV), some comments below:

Verdant Keep by @cannonball: A very good map. You have a pretty distinct mapping style in terms of level geometry and combat too, which I definitely enjoy and both of which shine through here. The overall texture theme and atmosphere feels dark to me, something in line with Plutonia 2 more so than the original, but that's perfectly fine since I enjoy the PL2 theme more anyway. Difficulty-wise seems like a good fit for e2, a scramble for foothold at the beginning followed by some lighter moments and a few highlight set piece battles. I found the BFG secret, which was quite easy to find in the end, and I wonder if that is a bit too much of a balance swing even? I feel like the AV & HK set pieces would be considerably harder without the BFG since you don't have the means to dispatch the AV's in mere seconds in these relatively tight arenas, leaving you with dealing the beefy hell nobles and an annoying AV or even two of them in tight quarters.

lilsmelly by @Egg Boy: This certainly remains true to the Plutonia stereotype; mud and grey, Chaingunners, Revenants and AV's harassing you throughout the entire map en masse. It's a fun little map though, some cruel traps but keep your head cool and they're all perfectly manageable on the first try. The SSG one is probably the most dickish of the lot but it's early on in the map so fair enough. The Cyber encounter is the only one that could perhaps be improved a bit; I realize what you're "supposed to do" (immediately go grab the cells) but I'd wager most players would do what I did the first time around which is to stay back and cower in fear for the first precious few moments, in which case you're pretty much stuck there with low, but enough, ammo and the Cyber can't reach you either (I know you can sneak past him, but why take the risk without first throwing everything you have at him?). Killing him like that is fairly trivial if you don't run out of ammo altogether, in which case you'd be pretty much fucked I suppose. I'm a fairly prudent player when it comes to ammo management in general so I made out of there fine but I don't know if you're supposed to run out there if you don't react quick and go grab the ammo before the Cyber gets there? If so, then it's fine (though a bit of a dick move :D). I think it would be great if the Cyber could infiltrate your position instead of getting block at the tunnel BUT he spawns only after you grab the key and the ammo -> you'll still have to fight him in the tunnel while constantly minding the fact that he will get up close and personal if you hesitate. The concession for the player is that there'd be enough cells to dust him without having to resort to lighter weaponry. Just an idea, I'm not sure if this is even feasible or if there's some map geometry thing that creates the monster blocking behavior. Anyway, fun map and definitely Plutonia-esque.

The Wolf Hour by @sincity2100: Another enjoyable affair, this one much more open than the previous two and a considerably higher monster count. I would say that this is indeed more Speed of Doom than Plutonia in terms of architecture in the interior areas but this particular brand of SoD and Plutonia are pretty close to each other. Again a very hot start and the first few moments are spent running around arming yourself and initiating monster on monster violence. Clean up the enemies still standing then tackle the three separate key wings of the hub while also re-populating the hub area at regular intervals. It's a violent map but not a very difficult one, apart from the very beginning I feel like I had little worries with regards to health and even ended up passing up on the free Megasphere near the Cyber. Ammo is also plentiful and I found the huge ammo cache secret which meant that I could spam rockets at leisure. The opening ambush in the YK wing seems like a banger but I neutered it completely with optimal sphere planning and usage (yes, this was an FDA but the tele looked scary so I took a gamble and won :D). The other two wings are a bit less eventful and the map geometry allows for very safe dealing with the bigger mobs too. I do really like the pesky PEs in the RK wing, although I wish the lone Manc on the nearby ledge would have participated a little more with fireball support. Speaking of the Cyber, initially he seems like a long-range threat while you're busy dealing with the rabble in the hub area, but in the end he's pretty useless since his field of vision to the hub is not that big relative to the size of the hub. Sure, he can shoot you in the back if you mindlessly hang around the southwest or northwest parts of the hub but why would you do that in the first place? I also found a major bug: there are three separate one-time walkover lines which activate the exit barrier to rise but only a single one-time activated switch to lower it. This just means that you can softlock if you happen to cross a different walkover line than initially after pressing the switch. This happened to me in the demo. You can also press the switch before crossing any of the walkover lines since the monster closet activation line is before the exit barrier trigger, again leaving you potentially softlocked. Overall this is a fairly entertaining and bloody map but perhaps lacking a bit in creativity when it comes to combat. The initial scenarios are good but a bit too much ends up feeling like low-threat cleanup when the acute threats are gone. Of course things would be different with a more aggressive approach, which I would surely take in subsequent playthroughs.

/end ramble

PRCP2_FDAs.zip

Edited by Veinen

I just see a partial invisibility. Nothing out of the ordinary. 

But, here's a tip: 

Spoiler

Look at the date of submission. 

Here's my submission

Tentative map name: 'Against the spirit'
Music: 'Rumble in the Jungle' by AD_79
Difficulties have not implemented yet, so this is UV only atm
Tested extensively with dsda-doom (0.18.0)

Spoiler

5JDWNoo.png

IIfluBT.png

EZCFuko.png

3yAHb13.png

This was supposed to be more inspired by PL2 early maps than the original plutonia, still i hope it feels like a proper plutonia map.

Any feedback is welcome

dmp-prcpv2.zip

Here's the first version of my submission:

Return to Cinder

Set in a demonic torture temple built into the side of a volcano, this map features claustrophobic room-to-room action and liberal use of teleporting monsters.

I generally aimed for early game difficulty (E1, early E2) but feel free to plop it in any ol' mapslot if you will!

Tested in GZDoom, music is Splash from Marathon. See attachment below for download.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210424_180041.png.3049455176ebaa622321b6967082b18b.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210424_175957.png.4a55437d21328ca78069e353f2777ce5.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210424_175942.png.3f46516fdc1a0293b6be61c26bd36480.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210424_175923.png.134934e28ebbb7d6833a1c1fe87f7bd6.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210424_175908.png.ea6c59104c2859eb424dd841acf1337f.png

prcp2_doctornuriel_returntocinder_v0-1.zip

29 minutes ago, DoctorNuriel said:

Here's the first version of my submission:

Return to Cinder

Set in a demonic torture temple built into the side of a volcano, this map features claustrophobic room-to-room action and liberal use of teleporting monsters.

I generally aimed for early game difficulty (E1, early E2) but feel free to plop it in any ol' mapslot if you will!

Tested in GZDoom, music is Splash from Marathon. See attachment below for download.

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20210424_180041.png.3049455176ebaa622321b6967082b18b.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210424_175957.png.4a55437d21328ca78069e353f2777ce5.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210424_175942.png.3f46516fdc1a0293b6be61c26bd36480.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210424_175923.png.134934e28ebbb7d6833a1c1fe87f7bd6.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210424_175908.png.ea6c59104c2859eb424dd841acf1337f.png

prcp2_doctornuriel_returntocinder_v0-1.zip

the map does not run at all in pr-boom+, it immediately crashes. Please fix this as I believe we're aiming for boom compatibility. It runs in GZDoom, but that's not the primary port the project is aiming for.

8 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Rather curious: I see my name listed in Episode 1, is this for that Stalemate map I made? Just wanted to be sure.

Yes it is the Stalemate map, sorry I couldn't remember the name!

On 4/24/2021 at 6:41 PM, Egg Boy said:

the map does not run at all in pr-boom+, it immediately crashes. Please fix this as I believe we're aiming for boom compatibility. It runs in GZDoom, but that's not the primary port the project is aiming for.

very stupid question here, as I'm a total newbie at doom mapping/modding beyond just making maps for gzd: how would I best ensure pr-boom+ compatibility?

19 minutes ago, DoctorNuriel said:

very stupid question here, as I'm a total newbie at doom mapping/modding beyond just making maps for gzd: how would I best ensure pr-boom+ compatibility?

Which editor are you using? On UDB at least, just make sure the project type is "Boom: Doom 2 (Doom format)". This ensures the map itself is boom-compatible. Then test the map with -complevel 9 on the command line for PRBoom+.

18 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Which editor are you using? On UDB at least, just make sure the project type is "Boom: Doom 2 (Doom format)". This ensures the map itself is boom-compatible. Then test the map with -complevel 9 on the command line for PRBoom+.

thanks, I'm using SLADE 3.

Here's hopefully the final version of my submission, tested thoroughly with PRBoom+um, GZDoom, Eternity Engine and DSDA Doom:

Map name: Wrong Turn

Slot: MAP29

Music: "Guardhouse" by James Paddock

image.png.2b42c6ef7c2e1ed8bac0c0a1117d7913.png

If anyone can give some feedback on this version i'd be very happy to hear it. Tried allowing for some very interesting skips in speedrunning if anyone's willing to look for them, too :)

Wrong_Turn.zip

10 hours ago, MattFright said:

Here's hopefully the final version of my submission, tested thoroughly with PRBoom+um, GZDoom, Eternity Engine and DSDA Doom:

Map name: Wrong Turn

Slot: MAP29

Music: "Guardhouse" by James Paddock

image.png.2b42c6ef7c2e1ed8bac0c0a1117d7913.png

If anyone can give some feedback on this version i'd be very happy to hear it. Tried allowing for some very interesting skips in speedrunning if anyone's willing to look for them, too :)

Wrong_Turn.zip

Can't download it, can you put it on mediafire so I can download it easliy?

7 hours ago, MattFright said:

Sure, here you go

I can't extract it from the Zip file, can you put it without Zipping it, because my windows can't open the Zip file somehow..

2 minutes ago, sincity2100 said:

I can't extract it from the Zip file, can you put it without Zipping it, because my windows can't open the Zip file somehow..

Sure. But please do also use this instead of the official resources file, as it has a new texture i added to my map.