• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

[Now on /idgames!!!] TWANGO1 - Vanilla DM for the Modern Age

Started on a new map:

mrcrunchy_shot01.png.b534c61f10e8ceaaf5611cbff452c806.png

Currently called Mr.Crunchy :D

Likely hard to tell from the screenshot but I'd say it's already 80%. ;)

~ heh, just for run, besides zan bots for some trial testing, i've been check'n out some k8 bots, which are pretty smart it seems, aside from stepping on your nuts. lol

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Hey MrRocket, that screenshot looks good, but this thing is already at 33 maps! One is already being cut just because it's old and doesn't really have any place here, but that's going to get us down to 32 :P

although, the vanilla exe technically allows you to to go up to 35 maps.. but it will crash on exit for anything above 32 (sadly)

I've just finished re-arranging the maps to be in more appropriate slots, but I haven't began the actual level touch-ups yet. Your other map is one of the best in the wad so I'm sure this one will be good too, but I don't want to step on any toes by cutting anything that's already here.. Once I post the 'doomkid cut' of this wad in a couple days, maybe we can come to a consensus on what should stay and what should go.

No worries i'll just release the map as a single level if it can't make it in the mega. ;)

It's worth a play threw though, i'm having fun with it. :P

~ it actually feels more "at home" than Mr.Twango.

I'll pm you the map when i feel it's worthy of a real play through. ;)

23 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Hey MrRocket, that screenshot looks good, but this thing is already at 33 maps! One is already being cut just because it's old and doesn't really have any place here, but that's going to get us down to 32 :P

We've already completed a megawad?

That's crazy!

We or someone has to start a DM community project one day!

It allows one to breathe instead of being confided to a single player map, though I kind of want to do a single player map at some point, i've been requested to do so already as well, it just takes so much time and dedication, you know.

But yeah DM maps are fun though, it's like you just create something and it's instant action, the story is already told. prepare to fight! :P

Although where as a single player level, the story is being told. ;)

Anyways, yeah i'm kind of feeling the DM vibe and want to push a few maps out while i'm in that realm :P, if possible.

10 hours ago, Doomkid said:

although, the vanilla exe technically allows you to to go up to 35 maps.. but it will crash on exit for anything above 32 (sadly)

I've just finished re-arranging the maps to be in more appropriate slots, but I haven't began the actual level touch-ups yet. Your other map is one of the best in the wad so I'm sure this one will be good too, but I don't want to step on any toes by cutting anything that's already here.. Once I post the 'doomkid cut' of this wad in a couple days, maybe we can come to a consensus on what should stay and what should go.

10 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

No worries i'll just release the map as a single level if it can't make it in the mega. ;)

It's worth a play threw though, i'm having fun with it. :P

~ it actually feels more "at home" than Mr.Twango.

I'll pm you the map when i feel it's worthy of a real play through. ;)

I think if we don't include it in TWANGO1, we can always use it for TWANGO2 :)

I'm fine with Quad Goal being booted to make room for Mr. Crunchy.

Or if @Redead-ITA and Joe_Ilya are ok with it, what about combining Server Room on Fire (currently 13) and Big Brown Box (currently 28) into one map?  With the the Server Room on Fire being the central theme and Big Brown Box simply being the outside.   Luminal Base (currently 16) is also kinda small.   So maybe even combine three maps into one?

20 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

I'm fine with Quad Goal being booted to make room for Mr. Crunchy.

Or if @Redead-ITA and Joe_Ilya are ok with it, what about combining Server Room on Fire (currently 13) and Big Brown Box (currently 28) into one map?  With the the Server Room on Fire being the central theme and Big Brown Box simply being the outside.   Luminal Base (currently 16) is also kinda small.   So maybe even combine three maps into one?

I like this idea. Maybe not with Liminal Base, because I feel like that one's still big enough to stand on its own. 

Yeah, that map can stand on its own.   If I get the ok, I can certainly do some of my map welding skills on at least the two or whatever is agreed on.

Here's my tuned-up version of what will end up in the 01 slot!

New version: tw_map01.zip

Old version: tw_old01.zip

I think you guys will approve: the map now has a better flow and more interconnectivity, with less snag spots and dead-ends. Also, oldschool doesn't have to mean ugly, so I've spruced up the texturing and border work somewhat, giving it a more polished look.

Most maps don't need anywhere near this work, and some don't need any work at all, but just wanted to give some evidence of what sort of changes are being made. There will be much more where this came from soon!

(There's tutti frutti on a lone step which I'll of course have fixed before posting the comp)

Edit: the thread title should probably be updated as well so that people don’t end up thinking there’s still slots free

Edited by Doomkid

Nice work!

Made up a better subtitle for Dwango5-map04 Redux.   It's better to be an honest crook, than a total sheister.

counterfeited.png.d84579f2d9e3b399dc682ab27b0b96f2.png

Just used a wad with rsky1 as entirely pink/magenta and set GZDoom's res to 320x200.   Typed and took a screenshot and changed the magenta to transparent.

2 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Nice work!

Made up a better subtitle for Dwango5-map04 Redux.   It's better to be an honest crook, than a total sheister.

counterfeited.png.d84579f2d9e3b399dc682ab27b0b96f2.png

Just used a wad with rsky1 as entirely pink/magenta and set GZDoom's res to 320x200.   Typed and took a screenshot and changed the magenta to transparent.

I dunno why you insist on testing with GZDoom, there's plenty of better ports for this sort of thing, but you do you I guess.

But yeah, I like that subtitle, I'll definitely add that ;)

I've been testing with vanilla doom2.exe and zandronum.   I only used GZDoom just now for the purpose of getting that text from a screenshot.   Tried ipxsetup -nodes 0 in dosbox but it said ipx not detected.   Zandronum has funky pixels with text.   First time I even mentioned gzdoom on this topic.

5 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

I've been testing with vanilla doom2.exe and zandronum.   I only used GZDoom just now for the purpose of getting that text from a screenshot.   Tried ipxsetup -nodes 0 in dosbox but it said ipx not detected.   Zandronum has funky pixels with text.   First time I even mentioned gzdoom on this topic.

You'd have to use fraggles solo-net executables if you wanna load up an empty netgame.

You can find it here along with some other cool DOS utilities.

10 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Here's my tuned-up version of what will end up in the 01 slot!

This is an awesome edit! :D

Edited by IggySqiggles

Here's the updated wad - as far as I can tell, other than lacking 4 custom demos, this wad is nearly complete!

(old link removed, check Gokuma’s updates)

There was a good bit of work to be done. I rearranged the entire maplist to follow a more suitable trend of techbase -> earthy/generalized maps -> hellish maps. The more classic style DM bases populate the first half, while some of the more quirky/experimental stuff is in the second half. The maps were changed accordingly:

Map08 -> 01: Eternal Legacy by IggySqiggles
Map05 -> 02: Mr. TWANGO by Mr. Rocket
Map26 -> 03: Menace by Neil and Chase1 (ft. Doomkid)
Map01 -> 04: Shipment by OpenRift
Map27 -> 05: Enemy by Jeffry_Enemy (ft. Doomkid)
Map16 -> 06: Liminal Base by Joe_Ilya
Map07 -> 07: Even Simpler by Dexiaz & Mechadon (ft. OpenRift)
Map32 -> 08: BrownWar by Hellbent
Map17 -> 09: Joe's House by Joe_Ilya
Map02 -> 10: Refinery by OpenRift
Map28 -> 11: Big Brown Box by Joe_Ilya
Map24 -> 12: All Night Frags by Doomkid
Map29 -> 13: The Library by Joe_Ilya
Map15 -> 14: Blood Yard by Cpt. Toenail
Map19 -> 15: Unmazed by Doomkid
Map18 -> 16: Fatal Frag by Cpt. Toenail
Map21 -> 17: Devil's Deuteronomy by IggySqiggles
Map20 -> 18: Grisly Gibs by Cpt. Toenail
Map03 -> 19: Streets by IggySqiggles
Map10 -> 20: Engine 3000 by Niemamordy
Map25 -> 21: Bunker Buster by Cpt. Toenail
Map12 -> 22: Warp Routine by CyberEmperor
Map14 -> 23: Silenced Lamasery by Gokuma
Map04 -> 24: Interdimansia by Gokuma
Map09 -> 25: Vicious by DGC Retrowave
Map11 -> 26: Romero's Void by OpenRift
Map__ -> 27: Dethmatch Temple by RebelVodka
Map23 -> 28: Sewage Plant by Arrowhead12
Map13 -> 29: Server Room On Fire by Redead-ITA
Map31 -> 30: D5M4 Re-Dux by Gokuma
Map30 -> 31: Back to Basics by Hellbent
Map06 -> 32: Quad Goal Deathmatch! by Gokuma

Other changes include:

• Fixed the last few little texture flubs that I made in Map01 (Eternal Legacy by IqqySqiggles)
  • Improved the texturing just a bit in Map08 (Brownwar by Hellbent) and added a good MIDI to go with it
  • Did some substnatial rewoking on Map10 (Refinery by OpenRift), added teleporters between both ends of the map giving the players more accessible routing, also de-secretified some passageways to allow for better movement/flow, reducing linearity
  • Added a bit more detail and a few finishing touches on Map12 (All Night Frags by me)
  • Reduced the "bumpy floor syndrome" a bit in Map17 (Devil's Deuteronomy by IggySqiggles)
  • Map18 (Grisly Gibs by Captain Toenail) is great, as are all of his maps here, but the MIDI (Cathedral Fight from Painkiller) just sounded so anemic.. I used an old updated version I had lying around that gives the song's balls back and upped the volume to mesh better with the rest of the tracks
  • Widened the various narrow passageways/trails on Map22 (Warp Routine by CyberEmperor), map now feels much more comfortable to zip around in for DM. Also converted the dead-end nukage tunnel into a useful hallway with stairs leading back around to the other end of the map
  • Got rid of some inescapable pits and did other very minor edits to help DM gameplay on Map23 (Silenced Lamasery by Gokuma)
  • Added some customized elements to the status bar to give the wad more of it's own flavor
  • Put up a few more TWANGO signs on bare stretches of wall
  • Implemented an ENDOOM screen
  • Re-named a few maps and improved some inconsistencies (IggySqiggles sometimes did have a space in their name and sometimes didn't, etc)

Also, I noticed that OpenRift added his name to the credits for Map12 and Map15 which are both made by me.. Map12 a set of stairs was added, and whatever was changed on Map15 is so minor that I can't perceive it. As a rule of thumb - it's a big faux pas to slap your name on the map someone else spent 3 hours building after having done less than 1% of the work.. :P I'm a pretty relaxed guy so I don't care that much, but this would really have the potential to rub some people the wrong way.

What we have here is a decent deathmatch megawad that's sure to please fans of classic style FFA, and also has it's own unique sense of identity while also being something that perfectly slots into the Dwango lineage.

I hope you all enjoy these changes, it was fun giving this wad a facelift!

Edit: Just realised that I’ve never thought to ask this.. but the original acronym is Doom Wide Area Network Gaming Operation, so what does the T stand for in TWANGO? Also I forgot to change the D5M4 re-dux to say “counterfeited by Gokuma”, whoops.. I can get that fixed up tomorrow!

Edited by Doomkid

Heh, love the new endoom screen!

The T stands for TCP.   Involving some emulation and stuff under dosbox.   See OP and a topic it links.

Quick did some things.  So grab this version:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/z4ullqf7g3v3xa8/TWANGO_B.zip/file

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, the issues left that I fixed.   I would still hold off from pushing out an RC1 for a bit.

23 Lamasery: Nukage was still way painful -20.  Just made it harmless rrock19 grass.

Still REALLY needed my tall version of step3(pname step05) so there's not tutti fruiti.

I don't know why there's a texture1 & texture2 for a Doom 2 wad but I fixed the Step3 and the Sw*Starg texture in both.

Changed a secret door to bricklit.

24 Didn't have my latest upload of Interdimansia.   I can't find any changes, so I copied the latest back in but with the things data from the current Twango_b.wad and changed a few.   Still want to do some finishing on this and add at least another passageway.

Also:

31 Back to the basics had nonfunctional teleports.   Not a good map01 edit.   But I guess it's a joke being out of the regular rotation with the worst music.  Added a teleport destination and moved another that was on a sector edge and changed its hard multi-only flag to just all difficulties so the teleports work.

Modified these two map title graphics:

CWILV28.png.0224afd2bc597d01a04bf4934156c958.png

CWILV29.png.52474a8d2ad664bfcf656fd58c336202.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did NOT do:

Would combine 29: Server Room On Fire by @Redead-ITA and 11: Big Brown Box by Joe_Ilya into one map.   I'll do it if that's OK with them to make room for Mr.Rocket's Mr.Crunchy.    Mr. Crunchy could be map11 or map29 then.

Personally, I would replace map31 with Dehacked Doomball since it's out of normal rotation.

The dehacked simply needs this:

Thing 116 (Dead Lost Soul)
Initial frame = 842
Hit points = 1000000
Width = 1048576
Height = 2752512
Bits = 4727814

CWILV30.png.3fa3ad3be8d95d821fa4153558d3fdd4.png

Make its only exit a secret one and then for map32 Quad Goal:  Leave the title gfx as quad goal but in dehacked/mapinfo make the name You're the Ball!

Could make up mapinfos for various ports including Doom Classic so exiting map30 goes back to map01.

But this would take a while as their syntax varies.   See twangok.wad or d1enthng.wad for examples of five different port mapinfos.  Dmapinfo is for the official Doom Classic.   This examples were quick temp jobs for just some of my maps and I didn't test them all.   Gotta double-check how that levelnum part is supposed to work for Doom Classic as I just made Doom 1 dmapinfo for it before.

Want to use my starbar since we currently have none?   Can copy it from twangok.wad

STBAR.png.5232aae6d11d809d30ab0413310cffbf.pngSTARMS.png.22cf90e8d73bd40c3c6436f22dd56f72.png

Or else maybe grab one from Realm667?

Still can't stand map31 music without the funny vocals but just glad D5M4 Redux is no longer on that slot.

Slade does have an option to sort the texture data into alphabetical order, but aashitty must always be the first listed.  (And it doesn't do anything to pnames.)

Interdimansia still needs finishing up.

Edited by Gokuma

53 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

STBAR.png.5232aae6d11d809d30ab0413310cffbf.pngSTARMS.png.22cf90e8d73bd40c3c6436f22dd56f72.png

Or else maybe grab one from Realm667?

Realm667 have stbars?

Where?

The night sky chosen for levels 12-20 really ruins the aesthetic of a lot of the maps imo. There are brightly lit outside areas under a night sky. It just looks really weird. The brick maps I submitted in particular were designed to contrast against a strong orange or red sky.

I suggest moving the orange sky to this stretch of maps, or using something similar like this red sky (originally from Freedoom)

Tsnrp58.png

@Doomkid You really played and edited the entire megawad!

I really appreciate that dude! That takes alot of effort, Big thanks :D

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

Personally, I would replace map31 with Dehacked Doomball since it's out of normal rotation.

The dehacked simply needs this:

Thing 116 (Dead Lost Soul)
Initial frame = 842
Hit points = 1000000
Width = 1048576
Height = 2752512
Bits = 4727814

Wait, Doomball is actually supposed to have a ball?

Awesome!

I quick reuploaded https://www.mediafire.com/file/z4ullqf7g3v3xa8/TWANGO_B.zip/file

Set the starry night sky to rsky1.

Set the red mountains with red and dark sky to rsky2.  That any better @Captain Toenail ?

Renamed the tiling Ultimate Doom temporarily to rsky4 out of use.

Put a red color swapped tiling version of Ep 4 sky by AquilaChrysaetos for Rsky3.

Interdimansia needs a tiling sky so the mountains don't work.

I would like to make skinface tiling properly and then colorswap that to red so it looks like Doom 2's normal rsky3 without the mountains.

Did some more work on Interdimansia

Erased a couple bright bottom edge pixels of Server Room on Fire title gfx.

11 minutes ago, IggySqiggles said:

Wait, Doomball is actually supposed to have a ball?

Awesome!

Yes, if you check out twangok.wad in lama0.zip.   Map32 is Quad Doomball while map02 is Quad Goal/You're the Ball.

They're also in D1EntHng.wad but these versions have some more refinement (though D1EntHng has better versions for source ports).

Edited by Gokuma

3 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

Yes, if you check out twangok.wad in lama0.zip.   

Wheres lama0.wad?

I like the idea of having the starry sky, then the tiling orange E4 sky, then anything red for the final sky. That way each sky has a nice distinct colour. What do you guys think? (If we go with a night sky for E1, map11 and 12 should switch places as well just so the name and light level makes sense)

Interdimansia currently map24 needs one that tiles.   Anything but the mountains work for it.   Going to try making a tiling red skinface.

Looking at the texture1 resource, they're still a mess with a load of my black wood/panel textures double-defined by the texture name I gave them and their pname name as another texture.   Those RW instances can be deleted from texture1 and/or texture2.   Just noticed midspace is replaced with a texture used by map21 and probably others.   That texture should be added as a new texture instead of replacing an existing.   I actually like its look better than the midspace I had in Interdimansia but I need to add some support beam structure to look exactly right.   There's also a four frame lavafall texture added but that won't be animated if anyone is using it.

The LAVFALL textures are just duplicates, the actual patches are are used to replace the DBRAIN textures which will animate. They need to be left in PNAMES, but can be removed from the TEXTURE lump, but no map is using them anyway. Other than that, every single patch from Doom2.wad was also present in the wad which bloated the file size, so I deleted them. I also fixed up the ‘vodka’ texture to tile properly, and re-added some textures from Doom2 that were some reason cut from the texture definitions. Other than that stuff, everything is as it was in the latest beta OpenRift posted. It was pretty confusing and messy (as mucking with texture definitions often is), so if anything beyond that needs changing then please feel free to do so