Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insane_Gazebo

Sunder - Map20 Appears, finally.

@Turin Turambar Gazebo was there for the ride. I saw him in chat (even before Decino noticed).

Where does one report bugs (tracker?, forum?). I was just casually godmoding the wad to explore it and already found two maps with the same type of bug: stuff that closes with multiple W1 lines but open with a single (one-time reachable) switch. Soft-locks you out (MAP13) or in (MAP17).

[edit] Another two bugs in MAP19. Just writing them here so I won't forget. Some switches are reachable from a floor below, allowing you to bypass something (e.g. (-2464, -9656), (-3096, -10528), (-344, -5792), (-1632, -6136), (-1696, -4744)). I soft-blocked again with the elevator at (1696, -3488) by 'using' it just before the voodoo doll would raise it.

Edited by Zom-B

Well, I just made a rather interesting discovery.  After enjoying decino's second stream of this WAD on YouTube over the weekend, I loaded up Map 15 and was confused when I saw the traditional DOOM II city skybox rather than the flaming sky I remembered on the stream.  I checked on which files I was including in dsda-doom when loading it, and it appears that somehow, the general minor sprite-fix WAD (D2SPFX19.WAD) somehow prevents the custom skyboxes from being loaded.  I'll post about this in that project's thread as well, but I figure it would be worth noting in case there's something I_G can do on his end to address it.

To be clear, there are no errors here in either the sprite fixes or Sunder to address. This is simply a matter of load order of the PWADs. The sprite fixes must be loaded before Sunder to allow the correct priority of the included graphics.

Erm, is anyone going to post about the incredibly sunder (2009) max run by arbys550? 

Saw it in YouTube and would love to read more about it!

Apologies if this is the wrong place.

(There have been some amazing full wad max runs recently and I'd love to see a thread/area dedicated to that category, unless there is one and I am missing it?)

Finally made it through MAP19 after switching to PrBoom+ (GZDoom could not handle it post-BFG lol). Two timers took very long this time compared to GZDoom, I wandered for like 5 minutes thinking I broke the map: 1) the walls wouldn't come down after the stairway battle, and 2) two arch-viles wouldn't teleport after this fight, but I guess that's what Insane_Gazebo was warning about.

Also the switch that lowers the bars to YK can be pressed from below, which makes the fight on that floor (the one where Barons come from a fake meaty wall and teleport in the middle) optional. Didn't see this bug mentioned here.

On 5/18/2021 at 9:25 AM, BCHQ said:

Finally made it through MAP19 after switching to PrBoom+ (GZDoom could not handle it post-BFG lol). Two timers took very long this time compared to GZDoom, I wandered for like 5 minutes thinking I broke the map: 1) the walls wouldn't come down after the stairway battle, and 2) two arch-viles wouldn't teleport after this fight, but I guess that's what Insane_Gazebo was warning about.

Also the switch that lowers the bars to YK can be pressed from below, which makes the fight on that floor (the one where Barons come from a fake meaty wall and teleport in the middle) optional. Didn't see this bug mentioned here.

The original maps, 1 - 14 are vanilla compatible. Maps 15 - 19 (and 31, 32) are boom compatible. You will also need a limit removing port. (Note: Map19 currently won't run properly in Eternity due to some voodoo doll issues.) (с) IG

On 5/20/2021 at 3:40 AM, OpiumSomniferum said:

The original maps, 1 - 14 are vanilla compatible. Maps 15 - 19 (and 31, 32) are boom compatible. You will also need a limit removing port. (Note: Map19 currently won't run properly in Eternity due to some voodoo doll issues.) (с) IG

Not "vanilla compatible" by any stretch. It might use the vanilla format in a limit removing / limit increased port though. Unless you can run this with the original Doom II executable, it's limit removing at the very least. Somewhere down the line the term seems to have been confused with maps that do not utilize any port specific features. BTSX would be vanilla compatible, you can run it with the original game. Anything that exceeds the original game limits would not be vanilla compatible.

Downloading this now. Expect either of the following responses:

"IT'S A MASTERPIECE!" - if I can beat some of the maps on UV

"IT'S BOLLOCKS!" - if I die like a bitch on every level

This has been another quality post by MajorRawne.

1 hour ago, MajorRawne said:

Downloading this now. Expect either of the following responses:

"IT'S A MASTERPIECE!" - if I can beat some of the maps on UV

"IT'S BOLLOCKS!" - if I die like a bitch on every level

This has been another quality post by MajorRawne.

FYI there are no difficulty settings. So basically you have two options: UV, or UV with half damage and double ammo (aka ITYTD). I would strongly advocate trying the latter if you find UV is too rough and/or aren't used to playing slaughtermaps.

5 hours ago, Bauul said:

FYI there are no difficulty settings. So basically you have two options: UV, or UV with half damage and double ammo (aka ITYTD). I would strongly advocate trying the latter if you find UV is too rough and/or aren't used to playing slaughtermaps.

Thanks, I will almost certainly end up doing that soon. By the time I beat map 2, I thought it was map 4. These are not easily or quickly beaten.

So far maps 1 and 2 qualify as a Masterpiece. Map 3 looked like a pain in the arse on Youtube and is incredibly frustrating to play - although it would have been done by now if I didn't intercept every stray Baron shot with my head.

EDIT: Map 3 is now offially a masterpiece. But it's bloody long and much harder than the first two put together.

Edited by MajorRawne

Not being into slaughtermaps I have to admit I play through these maps with -nomonsters and admire the spectacular architecture, especially the recent ones (Map 15+).  So that's another option if UV is too much.

4 hours ago, ENEMY!!! said:

Not being into slaughtermaps I have to admit I play through these maps with -nomonsters and admire the spectacular architecture, especially the recent ones (Map 15+).  So that's another option if UV is too much.

That's what I used to do except I would noclip, iddqd and run around on UV, marvelling at the beautiful maps and wondering how/why anyone would play them.

Turns out Hell Revealed and Hell Revealed 2 are excellent trainers for Sunder-style wads. I ended up playing some of HR2 on the second difficulty to learn the maps, then beating them again on HMP, then finally stepping up to UV. After doing this for three or four maps, I suddenly became able to beat them on UV without training on lower difficulties (with many deaths and a few choice cursewords).

Some of the hardest and seemingly impossible maps require a strategy, otherwise you will never beat them. An example is Inmost Dens III from Hell Revealed 2, one of the most retardedly designed maps I've ever played. Unless you know to get the secret super shotty at the start, and you know how to approach the setpiece battles, this one is tantamount to impossible. Some maps like this are just broken, but once you beat them, it's so satisfying.

11 hours ago, MajorRawne said:

The alternative is to bang your head against the wall until the wall breaks. This is what I did for dimensions map31 recently. The downside of this is that it's extremely draining. Especially considering it took me 3 days of failure until I beat it on the 4th day. Maps 16, 18, and 19 of sunder haven't been uvmaxed yet so keep that in mind if that interests you.

Does anyone know how to lower the wall at the end of the giant stairs in map19? I'm playing on Woof.

Thanks for the -nomonsters tip. I think I'll do that to learn the layout of the maps of this beautiful wad. Also the battle puzzles are so neat. You may even get through some sections pretty quickly if you have the right strategy.

On 6/14/2021 at 1:49 AM, MajorRawne said:

Thanks, I will almost certainly end up doing that soon. By the time I beat map 2, I thought it was map 4. These are not easily or quickly beaten.

So far maps 1 and 2 qualify as a Masterpiece. Map 3 looked like a pain in the arse on Youtube and is incredibly frustrating to play - although it would have been done by now if I didn't intercept every stray Baron shot with my head.

EDIT: Map 3 is now offially a masterpiece. But it's bloody long and much harder than the first two put together.

I eagerly await your post when you reach Grinder. The map name is accurate.

New Tool album looks dope. Jokes aside, this wad is giving me an aneurism. I love it so much.

0001.jpg.8b4b53b2429b4875c8c8592970bd04c1.jpg

On 6/27/2021 at 7:13 AM, game said:

Does anyone know how to lower the wall at the end of the giant stairs in map19? I'm playing on Woof.

The wall is supposed to lower automatically on a timer after pressing the skull switch in the middle of the staircase. It just takes a while, nearly two minutes.

On 6/27/2021 at 11:13 AM, game said:

You need to change the compatibility settings to -complevel 9 ("boom" compatibility on menu), otherwise the bee monsters won't teleport in and the walls also won't lower at the end.

Fear slaughterfest map with many of traps massacres and fucking speechless labirints.Need to find red key for switch where hidden BFG for decisive success.Last battle in penultimate area with a lot of cacodemons was fun.Awesome map for boom complevel.                           

I'm here just to tell gazebo, that his work is truly insane. I don't have skill for it, but i can admire aesthetic and and architecture. 

8 minutes ago, Insane_Gazebo said:

Map20 is, finally, off to my testers. Not sure how long fixing/balancing will take but hopefully not too long now. Sorry it took so long!

unknown.png

HELL YEAH!

I recognise quite a few of Ben "Makkon" Hale's textures in there, as well as some modified versions of them - they translate well to what I think of as the "epic Insane_Gazebo style".  Looks to me like Map20 is a further evolution of the style/aesthetic of Maps 18 and 19.