Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yumheart

Sweettoothed Brimstone v1.666 - my map for Jimmy's 15th Doomiversary

Heya! This map was originally created for Jimmy's 15 Years a Doomer mapping contest and made in about 12½ hours. I now spent some more time on it to make it a bit prettier, fix some scripts and add difficulty settings. So this is basically the director's cut or whatever. As Jimmy rightly speculated, it's very much inspired by Plutonia's Slayer.

It's fairly short and quite tricky, but shouldn't be a big problem for experienced players. I recommend doing your first playthrough on HMP, it's what I would consider normal mode. If you want a little extra challenge afterwards, try out UV!

- UDMF map format for Doom II
- Tested with GZ- and LZDoom

- No crouching, jumping, freelook (unless you're very rebellious)

- To be played in hardware mode

I hope you have fun! Looking forward to your feedback <3
Link to the wad: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y6TYLZ7Y8_iAbkkOvZIufUMTfNnsi7Wi/view?usp=sharing

Some Screenshots:

Deleted to make some space . ^.

Edited by Yumheart

Updates:
v1.1 - fixed some texture issues
v1.2 - freelook is now a possibility

v1.3 - changed ceiling height to 30000, so that the honey laser looks more towering for freelookers
v1.4 - fixed the red key skip, adjusted the caco trap, hid a berserk secret

v1.5 - Added some detail, slightly changed a fight, changed the way to get the berserk secret
v1.666 - minor nippicking + fancy pants hexagons 'round the honey laser

Edited by C3ntralPr0cessing

Very nice map, fam. Tight and challenging with a fun, straightforward progression and spicy combat. It's also visually striking as well with its limited colour palette and the stark contrast of metal gray and glowing yellow.

11 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Very nice map, fam. Tight and challenging with a fun, straightforward progression and spicy combat. It's also visually striking as well with its limited colour palette and the stark contrast of metal gray and glowing yellow.

Wow, thank you a lot. I'm really happy to hear that.

Also whoops, forgot to remove the mapinfo no freelook line.

Ok.....I did it the hard and faster way and the "easy" but still challenging way. Enjoy.

Ok.....I did it the hard and faster way and the "easy" but still challenging way. Enjoy.

Three minutes under the par time, quite impressive! Thanks for your in-depth feedback and also for showing me the red key skip. I'll definitely fix that, since it can actually softlock the player.

Very frantic-paced level with a Circle of Death-like feel, but I got the hang of it really quickly. The barrels are of great help and the chaingun is great early on. I like how the choice of path goes like either you take the megaarmor/rocket launcher/yellow key or soul sphere/plasma gun/red key, really makes me think which route really can be better. Interesting use of monsters in the central part (archies on HMP and up, chaingunners on UV) after each of the keys too. I enjoyed it, don't have a whole lot of suggestions to make.

36 minutes ago, NuMetalManiak said:

Very frantic-paced level with a Circle of Death-like feel, but I got the hang of it really quickly. The barrels are of great help and the chaingun is great early on. I like how the choice of path goes like either you take the megaarmor/rocket launcher/yellow key or soul sphere/plasma gun/red key, really makes me think which route really can be better. Interesting use of monsters in the central part (archies on HMP and up, chaingunners on UV) after each of the keys too. I enjoyed it, don't have a whole lot of suggestions to make.

Thanks a lot! Glad you enjoyed it!

I really liked this one :) A bit beyond my skill level as you surmised, but I love the look of it - I recognize your style with lights and darks from your Yet Another Techbase WAD and it works great here! It plays like Circle of Death mixed with Dead Simple, coming back to the same arena with a new obstacle each time.

1 hour ago, DavidN said:

I really liked this one :) A bit beyond my skill level as you surmised, but I love the look of it - I recognize your style with lights and darks from your Yet Another Techbase WAD and it works great here! It plays like Circle of Death mixed with Dead Simple, coming back to the same arena with a new obstacle each time.

Ay, thanks a lot! I hope you still enjoyed it, despite your pain, teehee. Thanks for your praise and also showing me that inescapable pit, greatly appreciate it.