Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

How fast are fast monsters?

I think he means how much faster than they normally would be.

I think they move three times as fast, along with the projectiles. It could be only twice as fast though, so I'll have to check the source code to be sure. They also fire constantly, probably due to the MF_JUSTATTACKED flag they all have in Nightmare and -fast modes.

if (gameskill == sk_nightmare)
	{ // Monsters move faster in nightmare mode
		actor->tics -= actor->tics/2;
		if (actor->tics < 3)
		{
			actor->tics = 3;
		}
	}
I have no idea. Does that answer the question? Looks like it could be doubling speed?

actor->tics is the time between frames. What that does is subtract half of that time, essentially doubling its speed up to a certain point.

Somehow I suspected that it was twice the speed and not three times...

actor->tics -= actor->tics/2;
Eh, that's a retarded line. It should be
actor->tics >>= 1;
:P

So yeah, they round off differently, but still.

all monsters except demons move at the same speed as normal.

demons have the frame durations of their moving frames and attack frames halved, making them twice as fast.

all monsters have a much higher probability of launching an attack, making them attack almost at once after they see you.

imp, barons, cacos and hell knights have their projectiles move faster, I think it's 50% faster for the imps and 33% faster for the others, not 100% sure about the numbers.

Janizdreg said:

Exactly how much faster do the monsters & monster projectiles become in the fast monsters mode?

It depends on which port you use. In vanilla, the speeds triple but not the fire rates (unless you wish to play without being able to load a savegame). With Boom/Legacy, the fire rates triple as well. With ZDoom, they seem a little faster than that...

that code applies ONLY to demons and spectres, not to any other monsters. Read my above post for an accurate list of changes in -fast mode.