Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Altazimuth

Eternity Engine 4.02.00 Forseti

As a quick answer Eternity may already have what you're looking for; if you want complevel 2, 3 and 4, use the -vanilla launch parameter (which one is used is context sensitive; -vanilla with TNT or Plutonia is the equivalent of complevel 4, for example).

But why just that and not a full complevel function? Complevel isn't something you simply add, the compatibility levels have specific meanings and implications for demo compatibility. Eternity can't guarantee demo compat for most of them given it cannot guarantee Boom demo compatibility, nor pre v1.9 compatibility. There's also situations where it outright wouldn't work at all. For example, you can't have a vanilla or boom demo with a map that has portals, the relevant compatibility would be immediately switched.

So as it stands it can't currently provide the same parameter in a way that makes sense.

Edited by Edward850

Since compatibility levels can be enabled to play Boom and MBF demos, maybe they can also be enabled to record them (on future development). There are still a few more challenges to it, because unlike vanilla Doom, both Boom and MBF are highly configurable. For recording such demos, you shouldn't just change the complevel, but also prepare the desired gameplay options before starting the game.

Would it be possible to implement presets in the options, which automatically flip the various flags to reflect vanilla/boom/default Eternity etc? Similar to how GZDoom options do it. From past experience, launching with a -vanilla parameter resets to default if you pistol start the next map, and it's hard to tell which flags need to be flipped on or off for Boom wads.

-vanilla is a special issue in that it indeed does not persist throughout the game like other options, such as -respawn, -fast or even the cheats (thanks to Boom). It's something I'd like to see fixed at some point. Funnily enough, it is saved in savegames, but not kept when starting a new game or warping.

Having presets is something highly demanded, yeah. There are a few Boom and MBF settings which are highly mod dependent (all those sector motion and monster behaviour settings), so I expect there to be multiple levels even per port. Technically, on development's side, it's kinda tricky to implement this, hence why they're still not here.

Having -vanilla stick between launches is a bad idea IMO, but having actual proper compat presets is a good idea.

6 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

Having -vanilla stick between launches is a bad idea IMO, but having actual proper compat presets is a good idea.

It's more about how it doesn't persist when warping or restarting a map. Say I launch Scythe with -vanilla and finish map01. I want to pistol start map02, so I type idclev02 but now the -vanilla parameter is gone and the game is running the default preset. Having to quit out after each map and modify a .bat file is rather inconvenient when casually pistol starting vanilla wads.

11 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

The closest analogy is the complevel setting in PrBoom, which persists until you quit.

I'd honestly just really like a "default compatibility" setting in one of the menus similar to ZDoom and PRBoom+'s

Thank you for providing the Mac build and compiling for Apple Silicon! Heartland runs great on my Mac Mini 2020 so far.

Edit: Just saw that just the launcher is compiled for Apple Silicon. Maybe you can do the same for the engine.

I just got into this great source port on account of Heartland. It's full of cool features too.

Anyway, I just have a question: I set the v_ticker 3 console command when playing, and I'd like to have that on at start-up.
However, I don't know if an autoexec would do the trick and, even if it did, I made a bat file for Heartland, which wouldn't work with that.
I also thought of binding a key to that command but, even though it's apparently sucessful, nothing happens when I press it.

I have this version of Eternity. If you could help me out with this minor issue, I'd really appreciate it.

If you make a "default.gfs" in base/doom2 and then have it contain "cscfile = addticker.csc" then have "addticker.csc" in the same folder and put "v_ticker 3" in that file it should work, I think. This only works if you do "-game doom2" on the command line though.

Alternatively I think that you can set cscript_1 in eternity.cfg in base/doom and put the "v_ticker 3" in there.

Edited by Altazimuth

8 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

Alternatively I think that you can set cscript_1 in eternity.cfg in base/doom and put the "v_ticker 3" in there.

I tried that solution first, but it didn't work.

Now I'm trying the first, and I've made the addticker.csc file with v_ticker 3 inside, but I have no idea how to create a .gfs one.
If it's not too much of a pain, would you mind sending me an empty file with that extension? Then I'll write your instructions there and test it out.

On 4/11/2021 at 8:59 AM, Warrex said:

Edit: Just saw that just the launcher is compiled for Apple Silicon. Maybe you can do the same for the engine.

I sadly don't have a Mac rig so can't myself.  Either printz would need to figure out how to do it from his non-ARM Mac, or you can pray that at WWDC this year they announce an MBP without the bloody touchbar, at which point I will finally buy some Apple hardware.

On 4/11/2021 at 10:59 AM, Warrex said:

Thank you for providing the Mac build and compiling for Apple Silicon! Heartland runs great on my Mac Mini 2020 so far.

I'm a bit behind the times, with an Intel (I follow the policy of "don't buy new computer until current one is unusable"), but I'll check whether my current development environment can do any such cross compilation. Does the launcher work but the game not (that well)? Or alternative question: how did you find out the launcher is Apple Silicon?

On 4/21/2021 at 12:47 AM, Altazimuth said:

I sadly don't have a Mac rig so can't myself.  Either printz would need to figure out how to do it from his non-ARM Mac, or you can pray that at WWDC this year they announce an MBP without the bloody touchbar, at which point I will finally buy some Apple hardware.

Your wish will be granted: https://9to5mac.com/2021/04/21/2021-macbook-pro-ports-leak/

On 4/21/2021 at 6:39 AM, printz said:

I'm a bit behind the times, with an Intel (I follow the policy of "don't buy new computer until current one is unusable"), but I'll check whether my current development environment can do any such cross compilation. Does the launcher work but the game not (that well)? Or alternative question: how did you find out the launcher is Apple Silicon?

The current dev builds of GZDoom run natively on Apple Silicon without any of the devs having an Apple Silicon machine. Of course I do know that you do not share the same code base and I do not know anything about coding but maybe you can take a look (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple-silicon/building-a-universal-macos-binary).

As I said above Eternity runs completely fine on Apple Silicon but the main app only through the Rosetta 2 emulation layer which of course costs performance and I am curious to see if I can hit a locked 120fps at 1080p with Heartland on my Mac Mini 2020 when Eternity runs natively. GZDoom ran quite a bit faster natively when looking down at Frozen Time's bridge (https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71303&sid=ff9b7ef0a97fe8320920b7e223548394#p1179875).

I do know that the launcher runs natively and that the main app does not as the activity monitor has a column named architecture which shows the process as being "Apple" or "Intel".

Edited by Warrex : Added link to benchmarks.

On 3/4/2021 at 5:01 PM, Altazimuth said:

If you're on an old build I think in the mouse settings it's called "Novert emulation". I changed it a short while ago to be "No vertical mouse movement" because the terminology was bad and confusing.

i just downloaded the above link, says version 4.02, it still has "Novert emulation".

Also, the game doesn't react to my mouse at all, although I have enabled it, unless I turn off "Window captures mouse", which is a problem because when I turn it off, I have a mouse cursor that is annoying, and I can only move until the cursor reaches the edges of the screen; which makes it unplayable.

How do you get the mouse to work properly?

It should just work. The other day we had somebody with similar issues that managed to go away when they closed other applications, but the didn't specify which. Try that.

The only thing I had open was Photoshop; the rest is just bogstandard TSR stuff, like firewalls and expressVPN, Steam, GOG, etc. Closed Photoshiop, didn't help.

Do you have similar issues with dsda-doom or Crispy Doom?

Nobody's ever had to ask to make a suggestion before now, so shoot!

14 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

Add a linedef action that makes midtextures render fuzzy as spectres do

Technically we have the same code for that as we do for drawing sprites, so fuzzy midtextures indeed sounds feasible, but I would have to be careful to add it in a tidy way, not to over-feature EE.