Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lippeth

Super Slug [now on idgames]

Looks great can't wait to play it :)

Updated to fix a last-minute monster placement decision that will definitely give a bad impression or at least a laugh.

Solid work with great attention to detail, it's a damn shame you don't do more mapping. I noticed a small problem in MAP02, four zombies didn't teleport into playable areas. It happened because I didn't need green armor 543, this happens often with thing-tagged actions.

Screenshot_Doom_20210326_165617.png

Thanks @Caleb13, simple enough fix. Initially I had way more actions tied to things, especially with teleporting monsters, but agree that it's more fool-proof to just use linedefs. I considered that one fine because I usually pistol start the level, but failed to account for all the armor obtained from map 01. I've fixed it and will update the file if either more feedback comes in, or after checking and fixing other issues. I've still got various actions tied to keys as well, but since those are mandatory I'll leave them as is unless there's a good reason I shouldn't.

I had a great time with these maps, dude. They've got a classic feel to them, they're straightforward and fun with some stand-out combat and level progression and charming designs/layout/texture work. I'd love to see more. :^)

Thanks for the feedback and video, @Biodegradable! Even just watching the way you play helps me out with layout and design, seeing what draws your attention, etc; something I still struggle with sometimes. Seems it went great for the most part at least, glad you had a bit of fun! I'll definitely address the things you noticed and also things that I watched you not notice. That whole empty room at the end used to be a secret exit with the yellow key being hidden somewhere else, and there used to be a Spider Mastermind with little cave hallways, then a Cyberdemon, then both, then nothing. Seems like I either need to put something there or just end the level sooner. A lot of this map has been retconned from older ideas, which explains a few oddities.

57 minutes ago, revlis said:

One small thing, I've got stuck on MAP02 here: https://i.imgur.com/5XUJH4z.mp4 I thought is going to be a secret heh :)

So the cracks are starting to show, I see. Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I used to have it impassable but I later put two Cacos in there and wanted them to be able to fly out, forgetting that it can become a trap.

Very grateful for the feedback so far, I'll work on tidying things up and bringing it all together. I have a tendency to fix one thing and update the file very quickly, but I'm going to try and relax with updates and just fix everything I can.

Absolutely fantastic work Lippeth!

Super Slug

A little late, but in the same way here I bring my public video about a gameplay that I made to this Wad, the truth is that I found it very entertaining, and above all, I liked how it has been possible to create interesting structures in both maps , both because of the structure that was used in some places, as well as the decorations that were also placed on it, in any case, I also had an equally good time in the combats against the enemies, extremely challenging in some parts, and more than Nothing on the second map, which was where things were already getting a little hotter than usual, but still, I managed to overcome without much problem, despite the fact that the second map had enough toxic soils and few places with medicine cabinets Everything in the end went well, and in a way, for me, the final combat was something memorable because of the way it had to fight the enemies, with toxic floors and only depending on the anti-radiation suits. Great job with these two maps, and I will be waiting for the future maps that you get to update in this Wad.

Awesome playthrough, I like the appropriately used Metal Slug themed mod!

Updates for these maps may be slow going due to several other projects and a difficulty developing the initial structure of a map, but I will be working on it periodically and hopefully have something fun to show sometime throughout this year!

Thank you to everyone enjoying these maps, I put a lot of thought into them and enjoy watching all the playthrough videos; they really help me learn how to fine tune everything!

Here is my playthrough:

Nice fun couple of maps here. There's some fun uptempo combat here and the maps are interesting to explore. I like the charming use of classic visuals, and how you mostly snuck in advanced UDMF features (which I didn't realize was the format when I started playing). I didn't find the maps particularly difficult at all, but didn't feel like they were too breezy either. There's only a few awkward things between both maps, which I note in the video, but overall they show a lot of refinement and I'd certainly be interested to play more from this set.

Nice work!

Thanks for the excellent critique and showcase @LVENdead!

My favorite types of maps are those where you turn off your brain to kill, and turn it back on (casually) to find the keys, so I worked surprisingly hard to make it fairly easy yet full of encounters. I'm still very much an inexperienced mapper when it comes to progression, difficulty and when and where to put pressure/ease up on the player, so this video will be a very handy reference, as well as for all the bugs and unintentional oddities you spotted.

I do plan to rework the ending of that second map, as I've noticed everyone who plays it seems quite underwhelmed. There used to be a minor boss fight in the last cave area with the two teleporters but I felt that it was too cheesy. I'll think of something before the third map is complete.

Thanks for checking it out!

Bit of a soft experimental update. I've addressed a few technical issues, reworked a few secrets and attempted to rework the end of map 02. I've barely tested the changes and hopefully I haven't broken anything to badly. Feedback is appreciated!

[download]

So rather than moving on to bigger and better things, I've George Lucas'd this yet again, but with the plan to finally put it on idgames in about a week from now and stop poking at it, so if you'd like to playtest it in the meantime, I'll appreciate the feedback! It's still only two maps and that's all it will likely ever be.

super_slug_RC1.zip