Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryker

My Doom Tutorial

Here is my tutorial on how to setup doom source ports and mods. If you disagree with anything or feel something should be changed, leave a reply. I'm always open for feedback.

I'm not the best at HTML or CSS, but they will continue to improve as time moves on.

https://avienj.github.io/doomnewb/doomnewb.htm

This mod is repeated.

image.png.88b88e390bccac3d9ac5e63ab533dbbb.png

A nice feedback you be also try to add a more Retro style of SourcePort, many users trink that some Launchers only works for GZDOOM style of sourceports, but in reality, works with so many.

Maybe add more StandAlone (Wads that play with they own modifications) like Rowdy Rudy, Death 4 Vainilla, or the new Heartland!

The source port list is lacking some very important ports like Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, PrBoom+, Eternity, and DSDA-Doom.

Some info on what some ports do better than others would be nice. GZDoom has compatability with the widest variety of mods, including the very popular Brutal Doom, which won't work on any of the ports I mentioned above. But it's also less vanilla-accurate than any of the ports I listed above, to the extent that it isn't even capable of playing back demos that were recorded in vanilla Doom. Chocolate Doom is as close as you can get to vanilla without emulating DOS. Crispy Doom is based on Choco but has some improvements like uncapped framerate and higher resolution. PrBoom+ was my main port until recently, and can run boom/MBF wads, unlike Crispy. DSDA-Doom is a fork of PrBoom+ with extra features that speedrunners like. I don't know much about Eternity, but you need it if you want to play Heartland.

Edited by Pseudonaut

This tutorial is supposed to be for people who have no past knowledge of ever doing this kind of stuff. I don't want to overwhelm the reader with tons of source ports, I've never even heard of DSDA-Doom! I think I will include Chocolate Doom and then just leave a hyperlink to a full list of source ports.

Thanks for the feedback!

Commendable, any tutorial is helpful.

I am always surprised that hardly anyone ever reads or links to the Tutorial section.

In particular, anyone new to mapping should click on this and Linguica's excellent series for DOOM2, or open the DOOM Wiki or ZDoom WIKI.

You have a question then it is most likely answered right there.

Edited by Kappes Buur : added links

Thanks for this tutorial, it's well made and inspired me to do some long-overdue updates to my own tutorial for newcomers!

Added chocolate doom, Fixed the repeating wad(it was actually a link to Trailblazer but I forgot to rename it).