Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

"Tenth Gear" 10 Minute Speed Map Community Project (Submissions Closed)

MAP SUBMISSIONS CLOSED

"Tenth Gear" A Doom Community Speed Mapping Project!

TITLEPIC.png.8cdd9dfe6b7df2c93d559f88dce24623.png

Ok, so there seems to be a big influx of short but fun game play maps right now. Recently in the last week alot of speed mapping and small joyride WADs have been published. So I was thinking that maybe it would be neat to try to get a bunch of authors together who may be interested in challenging their speed mapping skills in a community WAD project. I do believe that this type of thing has been done many times but I though it would be fun anyways! Limit 2 Maps per author. No cut off date. When 30 are finished then it will be over because I will do the secret maps.

Conditions If You Wish To Contribute

Spoiler

• Must be a Doom 2 WAD
  • Must be Pr-Boom compatible
  • Only two maps per author max
  • Must be made within a ten minute time limit.
  • Custom textures are allowed
  • If you wish to tweak mistakes you find after testing that's fine

As a Reference here's the link to the WAD I made 610.zip

from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1vRLE-_6M

I really hope that you guys have fun while doing this and let's get it started :)

Edited by Dubbag

Eh I'm a newbie at mapping but hey nothing's bad at having a go!

Edit: HERE IS MY CREATION, THE CRAP BASE: 10M_CRAP.zip

Edited by Wavy : Upload the damn thing

I would love to do that, but i'm still working on my remake wad. Maybe next time, plus I'm still new to mapping.

Edit: What theme are you looking for and what map slots are taken?

Edited by xScavengerWolfx

Decided to give this a bash. 10 minutes is a super tight time limit and doesn't allow for creating anything super high-quality, but I did enjoy challenging myself to produce something in that time regardless.

Also, I guess the map is called "The Almost 9th Circle" or some shit.

mfg_10min.zip

Edited by MFG38

Oh boy, oh boy, was this a spicy challenge. I had tried speedmapping in a 15 minute timer before (miserably failed, I was into hellmaps back then). Here, have a crate-filled techbase.

Name: Free Shipping

Build Time: 10 minutes, (34 seconds owo)

Difficulty levels: Absolutely not

Crates lazily rotated: No, very time-consuming.

Difficulty: EZ, even on UV

free_shipping.zip

Edited by elio.exe

Another one.

I'm not sure if it didn't go above the 10 minute limit, I forgot to check the time, but it was made very quickly. Not sure if you'll want to include it, but I don't have anywhere else to post it. 

Includes another breathtaking MIDI.

10 min Act1on 0n S3t.7z

"hash brown" by Zan-zan-zawa-veia

midi: "Hips, Tits, Lips, Power" by Zan-zan-zawa-veia

10minyak.zip

it's hard

PS: I placed a soulsphere after testing it once. it was after time ran out so you can delete it if you wanna be badass :))))))))

Does optimizing fights count as build time? In time based community projects sometimes it does or doesn’t so please clarify.

WOW guys insane response! 9 slots taken already! let get up to 20 maps then I think we're good and I'll compile it :) This is absolutley great! thank you so much for the responses can;t wait to go through these and see what you all have created!

27 minutes ago, Jacek Bourne said:

Does optimizing fights count as build time? In time based community projects sometimes it does or doesn’t so please clarify.

Guys if you find though testing any missing textures you want to fix or want to optimize fights that's fine we're all just having fun after all. Tweaking is fine.

1 minute ago, Jacek Bourne said:

Is there a difficulty cap? I know my previous maps you’ve seen weren’t easy for you. 

no

1 minute ago, Jacek Bourne said:

Excellent. I will be participating.

sounds good can't wait to see what you come up with!

Alright, I'm in! When's the deadline?

Also I have never mapped properly in Boom format before. What Complevel are we aiming at here? Is that something that the source port decides or can you define it during mapping, and are we allowed to use custom textures? My first attempt using custom textures in a Boom map didn't go well so I gave up and went back to UDMF. So I'll probably just use stock textures anyway.

12 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

Alright, I'm in! When's the deadline?

Also I have never mapped properly in Boom format before. What Complevel are we aiming at here? Is that something that the source port decides or can you define it during mapping, and are we allowed to use custom textures? My first attempt using custom textures in a Boom map didn't go well so I gave up and went back to UDMF. So I'll probably just use stock textures anyway.

If you map in Standard "Doom 2" format you'll be automatically Boom compatible. Custom textures are fine if you want.

Edited by Dubbag

Aight, I'll try and make a map in 10 minutes. It won't be a good one, because I'm usually spending like 30 minutes on each room conceptualizing. But we'll see.

Update: Time is up and I don't know what went wrong, but it doesn't work. I'll try a different idea the other time.

Actually I have an idea on what might be wrong, but it doesn't make it any better.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

Screw it let's get to 32 maps! Go all the way! I'm gonna do the secret maps. So someone might want to try to put a secret exit in their map. If not it's fine, everyone knows IDCLEV

Edited by Dubbag

35 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Aight, I'll try and make a map in 10 minutes. It won't be a good one, because I'm usually spending like 30 minutes on each room conceptualizing. But we'll see.

Update: Time is up and I don't know what went wrong, but it doesn't work. I'll try a different idea the other time.

Actually I have an idea on what might be wrong, but it doesn't make it any better.

It's ok man. This isn't a competition.

Met all the requirements. I think it came out OK. This was my 3rd try; on the 1 & 2 tries I got too hung up on layout and realized "Oh yeah. I gotta make the doors & add things and stuff". It was too late, womp womp womp.

QD10_MAPAA.zip

3 minutes ago, thelazyqdude said:

I got too hung up on layout and realized "Oh yeah. I gotta make the doors & add things and stuff". It was too late, womp womp womp.

Yeah that's the hardest part. Trying to distribute the time to add things, textures and sector height variations.

This is my second submission. I like the first one better, but what can you do when u no longer have any ideas? Occupies map 7, because i was too lazy to change the music.

Name: Arch-Domain

Map Slot: 7

Build Time: 10 minutes (maybe a bit less, had nothing more to do in like 5 seconds :p)

Difficulty levels: Nope

Difficulty: Medium, just dodge stuff and you'll be good lmao

arch-domain.zip

First attempt was a disaster, to put it mildly. I think this will take me a couple of attempts lol, fun challenge tho!