Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
El Juancho

Doom nerds, i need your help, why i didnt fall here?

So, im trying to get 26 secs on the first map of alien vendetta, i did 27.14 secs thanks to a perfect fall on the second 20 of the video, i cant do that shit again and i dont know why. The hell knight stopped me? I need ansewers please :)

The demo file: av01-027.zip

Nice run man Im pretty sure the hell knight stopped you, doom is weird with enemies that are below you idk if source ports disable it but if an enemy is below u he is also right in front blocking u its a little old school oddity.

Edited by SPIN

By default, in Doom, enemies are infinitely tall, and they will block you if you try to walk over them. It can be turned off an on in source ports, under zDoom/GzDoom, it's something like "actors are infinitely tall". 

So really, by having it enabled, you're playing the game like it was originally designed. Being able to run or jump over enemies wasn't something that was added until long after.

Nice work!

Keep it up the good work and look forward to seeing more of your runs in future :-)

I think the issue is an enemy blocking you as the others have said. Unfortunately if you want a “legitimate” speed run I don’t think you are are allowed to turn monster height off (my understanding is everything needs to be “stock” so the demo will play back on any copy of DooM - actual runners feel free to correct me here).

That said, you could always practice with infinite height turned off to practice and get everything timed perfectly, then turn it back on for the actual run attempts.

Or if it is just a challenge you’ve made for yourself then run with it off :-) Just because it isn’t technically considered “legitimate” doesn’t mean it’s not still an amazing achievement (just make sure to clarify that if you upload it anywhere to avoid confusion) :-D

Good luck!

Wow, cool run!

I think that the hell knight didn't block you, but the reason you slowed down because you ran near the border of the nukage pool instead of running to the edge of the two connected walls near the nukage pool, sorry for my bad english but others have pointed out better than me :)

Normally I would say it was the 'infinity tall' factor at play here.

However, It looks like you simply bumped into him on the way down the stairs at the 20 second mark. The nukage pit isn't deep enough for infinity tall to come into play here, he just body blocked you with his upper torso/head. You can actually catch a glimpse of his head in that video as you run down the stairs.

Even with infinitely tall disabled (via settings, depending on source port) the result would have been the same.

Also, nice Alien Vendetta map 1 run.

Well, I have just got the same time haha. Maybe if I had jumped perfect like the previous run I would have gotten 26 seconds.

Maybe it had nothing to do with the hell knight. Maybe you SR-50'd from the top of the stairs, or accidentally performed a small wall run?