Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Little Faith

Demo suggestion.

I don't know if it's appropriate right now, but once a little while back there was a lot of people asking about suggestions for wads to do demos on:

Well, I found this little (slightly rough) gem when I was rummaging through the 3darchives once:

The name of the wad is Skywater.wad

A straight-edge 3 level wad for Doom2.wad with some rather difficult action going on. There is not much ammo to be had and you are frequently under fire from several directions so action is going to be frantic at moments. I personally think that the last level is a wee bit easier because the ammo shortage is not so severe there.

I'll take a look at it.

Your post reminded me of a wad with a similar name: Skyewood.wad, which I vaguely remember being fun and a bit weird.

Skyewood owns, though I feel a bit guilty about blowing up all those toads.

I always have seen toads as harmless friendly creatures.

yeah, I've slowly (read: very slowly) working on recording the suggestions.
been getting some VPOs on Scientist's wad, and that has been hindering my progress.
I'll check out your suggestion!

Little Faith said:

Skyewood owns, though I feel a bit guilty about blowing up all those toads.

Just replayed it. Very weird, and cool. The dragon rules.

Skywater.wad: Map01 UV Speed 1:23. Sloppy.
EDIT: 1:09. A bit less sloppy, but it could go under a minute.

Opulent said:

[...] been getting some VPOs on Scientist's wad, and that has been hindering my progress.

1. Thanks for doing Scientist
2. Sorry if it hindered you
3. Where did you get the VPOs?
4. Thanks again; looking forward to seeing the demo!

doh! Skywater is an old Ketner map. I played this one before it was released IIRC.
the first map is not worth doing max. I got 92% kills and was flat out of ammo... it is JUST possible, I think, without pulling your hair out, but that would be a long boring demo.
so, I did a speedrun in 1:01.
check out the others soon...

Sci., I got VPOs on map02(yes, 2, gimme a break I work slowly) but I will probably switch to MBF or something...
just hold on, the wad's not going anywhere... :)

I wish there were.

VisPlane Overflow (VPO): A common bug that causes the game to crash. It is triggered by having to many visplanes (the explanation of this term is rather arcane) in view at once. Generally it is experienced in large or very detailed levels.

Marines Best Friend (MBF): A source-port, like Zdoom, Legacy or Edge. Source ports are alternative exes that enhance the original Doom engine. One of the reasons why source ports are created are to overcome Doom's limits (like the VPO). MBF in specific is not that commonly used anymore as it doesn't like newer sound-cards and versions of Windows very much. It's role is slowly being taken over by Eternity, that has many of the same features as MBF.

DEMOn said:

Sci., I got VPOs on map02(yes, 2, gimme a break I work slowly) but I will probably switch to MBF or something...
just hold on, the wad's not going anywhere... :)

Thanks for using scientist. But if it's not to much trouble, could you tell me where in map2 I can find the VPO? Thanks.

You're right Opulent, the main demoset for Slayer is outstanding. Very nicely done. :)