Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Job

Building buildings

I use WA right now and I really need to know how to build a building. I have an open area with a height of 384 and I wish to make a building somewhere in this open area with a height not exceeding 200. Of course I also would like it that a player can step into, interact with, etc this building. How do I do this? I've experimented repeatedly, but nothing has really done me a lot of good.

-ok, so you make a sector, still with the sky ceiling, at 200 ceiling height
-inside this sector, you put the void space you would make for any building.
-understand?

Sure do. I'll check over my old tests to make sure I wasn't make some fatal error. Thanks for the help.

I think he means a building that is lower than the ceiling height (so the building doesn't block out the wall texture of the higher sector). With doom2.exe it's not possible unless you leave the roof off the building (I did that once). With ZDoom you can use the Transfer_Heights special to create a building like you want, but it won't be able to have windows, and the door will have to be a linedef with a main texture (that always remains visible), and open/close it by turning the blocking on/off (with scripting).

So you're saying I'm unable to make my building with the plain vanilla execute? Because that's the only one I use. : /

UD: Yeah, I realized what he was talking about right after I posted, so I edited it so it makes sense a minute later.

EDIT: Vulgar: just try my way first and then if that don't work then do what UD said.

Epyo, I think I understand. Though what if I made a sector that had the same ceiling height as the sector in which I am making it, and having F_sky for the ceiling. Then I raise the floor height to 200 and just fill in the below textures? And then inside that block, I try to make an area for the player to go into? I think I did that once and it worked...but I'm not sure.

It wouldn't really work, no. You wouldn't be able add a doorway, only a huge crevice in the wall that goes all the way from the top of the building to the bottom. My way's the only way :P

Vulg@r said:

So you're saying I'm unable to make my building with the plain vanilla execute? Because that's the only one I use. : /

Well, you could make a building with no roof, and possibly use some suspended main textures to create some fake door/window effects - give a 2-sided linedef a main texture (on both sides), lower unpeg it (so it starts on the ground) and y-offset it 128 units above the ground and you have a fake doorway, albeit without a door. (the same can be done to make a fake window)

Hm, I think I see now, how it works. Though I've made windows already. Easy enough. I've even made a fake building with windows and doors and it even had two consecutive stories (in plain vanilla Doom II). It was error-free, but I recall there being something not right with it.