Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forgettable pyromaniac

Is it possible to change weapon damage with DeHackEd?

Question

I'm asking because I want to replace the Chainsaw with an Axe that does more damage than the fist but takes a bit longer to wind up.
The DeHackEd patch (if this helps at all) is a .bex file, for Boom.

By extension, I also wish to ask:
Is it possible to change what a monster drops?

Edited by forgettablepyromaniac : by extension

7 answers to this question

Don't think it's possible to change hitscan weapon damage in DeHackEd. but you can set projectile damage in Things table.

You would just have multiple frames calling the “punch” action to increase its damage. You can find some unused frames, set their duration to 0, have them call the “punch” command, and add them into the current punch animation. Kind of hard to explain - hope this makes sense.. (I used this method for the knife in Ray Mohawk, if you need to look at an example)

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

You would just have multiple frames calling the “punch” action to increase its damage. You can find some unused frames, set their duration to 0, have them call the “punch” command, and add them into the current punch animation. Kind of hard to explain - hope this makes sense.. (I used this method for the knife in Ray Mohawk, if you need to look at an example)

ah, okay. so with the saw I would just call Saw Multiple Times?

Sorry if this sounds a bit dumb, but can you actually make new states or are you limited to the maximum doom hands you by default?

1 hour ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

ah, okay. so with the saw I would just call Saw Multiple Times?

For Saw you can also use multiple Punch attack if you (somehow) wanted to reduce the damage. Actually, you can even make it fire BFG balls if you want, there is no problem.

1 hour ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

Sorry if this sounds a bit dumb, but can you actually make new states or are you limited to the maximum doom hands you by default?

Depends on your sourceport targeting. If you want to hack vanilla DOS Doom - there is no way to add extra states and call extra commands per frame if they are not appointed by id Software earlier. But if you're talking about limit-removing (Boom) - you can easily avoid such restrictions.

22 minutes ago, Dexiaz said:

For Saw you can also use multiple Punch attack if you (somehow) wanted to reduce the damage. Actually, you can even make it fire BFG balls if you want, there is no problem.

Depends on your sourceport targeting. If you want to hack vanilla DOS Doom - there is no way to add extra states and call extra commands per frame if they are not appointed by id Software earlier. But if you're talking about limit-removing (Boom) - you can easily avoid such restrictions.

Yes, Boom-Compat. How would I do that though? :/

20 hours ago, sluggard said:

Don't think it's possible to change hitscan weapon damage in DeHackEd. 

You can, you just need to apply more action pointers with 0 tics each. The second punch attack on D4V does 3 times the damage of a regular fist (the same principle work with enemies as well).

On 4/10/2021 at 2:45 PM, forgettablepyromaniac said:

Is it possible to change what a monster drops?

Yes. Just change the item sprite with the one you want to see.