Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

You Get 2 Million Dollars But you Can Never Play Doom Again

A very rich person offers you 2 million dollars but the catch is you can never play Doom ever again or he'll come back for you with some friends, doesn't matter how he knows.  You know he's good for it and would take you to the bank with him to start the first deposit immediately so you can see him do it.

What do you do?

Edited by Dubbag

I haven't been on the Doom community for long so I'll totally take the 10 million dollars, it will be a bit sad having to abandon the maps that I'm making or will make but damn, 10 million can solve so many things and still have that being here for a few months really to me, at least right now, isn't worth it against 10 million. 

Edited by 1Destro3456

ok how about 1 million? IDK what I would do. I want the money but Love Doom so much, but I feel like I would be a fool not to take it. It would truly tear me apart. Then again, there are some situations where we don't know how we would react unless we were actually in them.

On 4/12/2021 at 2:45 PM, Dubbag said:

ok how about 1 million? IDK what I would do

That's a bit more fair than 10 million, still I'm pretty new so I don't really have a lot of memories or friends or engagement with the community so I's still take the 1 million over Doom, again, I might meditate on the decision later but I'll probably get over it after months or max a year because I can still solve many monetary issues with it. 

Edited by 1Destro3456

Just now, SilverMiner said:

Perfect! I'll play Plutonia then

that's still Doom lol

I'd take the money, invest it until I have a decent return, then play Doom and let him have the money back. Hopefully he doesn't ask for interest. But before that, I'd question the motives of whoever's setting up this deal.

Just now, Shepardus said:

But before that, I'd question the motives of whoever's setting up this deal.

Probably the first thing I'd do as well, my first thought would be "why is this guy offering millions so that I can't play this specific game?"

I would definitely go with 2 million. Doom might be my favorite video game, but its not the only game that I play.

And besides, I can still use FreeDoom to play Doom wads :D

19 minutes ago, Dubbag said:

that's still Doom lol

What about Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Hacx, REKKR, Urban Brawl, The Adventures of Square and Rise Of The Wool Ball? Do they count as Doom too?

Whatever's the answer, the line has to be drawn somewhere, and I'd probably be fine focusing my modding right at the outer border. Or maybe I'd share my 2 million with some programmers and artists, and together we'd make a moddable retro game that's like Doom but better.

I wouldn't take the deal. I love Doom and this community too much to be able to throw it away for any arbitrary price.

On the flipside, $2mil is enough that I could comfortably live off it for the rest of my life without having to worry about finding a job, but I still wouldn't take it.

-take the $$$

-finish my maps without testing them (It doesn’t matter they suck even when I do play them)

-foist them on the community

-keep posting on DW, I barely actually play Doom these days anyway so my contributions won’t change a whole lot

-rediscover my love for Commander Keen modding and finally program that roguelike I’ve been sitting on

k now where’s the guy offering the money I gotta get myself set up

19 minutes ago, StupidBunny said:

k now where’s the guy offering the money I gotta get myself set up

lol one week later, he shows up at your door with two other guys and says in a thick Jersey accent, "Hey Friend, it seems due to unforeseen circumstances prior to our financial agreement, you owe us a favor......see there's this guy who's been sayin' some things I don't like. And Don't you say no because I already paid yah!" And you go "us? Who's us? WTF is happening right now." Then every time you do one of his "favors" he tells you "this is the last one then you're out" But it's never really the last one. Thus you are driven into a madness you never thought imaginable until something really bad happens...They do the same to someone else and pay them then you're next on the list. I'd imagine it would go something like that. terrifying.

Edited by Dubbag

I'd have to take the cash, honestly. There is no way I could ever justify missing out on the opportunities afforded by such wealth. With only half of that money, I could rescue my entire family from our rapidly-declining homeland, or at least relocate them to a better city, while investing the other half in as wide a spread as possible to insulate me and mine from the coming uncertainties.

Ok, that was a bit of a downer. Quick, Omni, think of something dumb to lighten the mood...

Hmmm... ah, I've got it! With 2 mil I could build a party-size jacuzzi and fill it to the brim with jelly beans and wine gums! No? What about using to collect every Lego space-themed set under the sun? Actually, that one is pretty realistic, tbh. Uhhh, use it to buy a super custom gaming PC with 128 gigs of ram and an i69 (nice) intel processor with 32 cores? But I don't even like modern games... Man, coming up with delusional wealth fantasies is hard when you are as unsentimental as me. Oh well, I'm not ever likely to have that particular problem!

No, the impact this game and its community have had on me, going back to my formative years, is not for sale! 

Plus, 2 million USD to me is just under 1.5 million GBP, that's still an eye watering sum of money, but it's still a no even if it was rounded up haha

10 million doesn't really make you happy. You are buying the idea that you are happy, not that you actually are.

Playing Doom WADS makes me actually happy. There is no idea here; A WAD is a WAD, even when it asks Where All the Data is.

So Doom wins. You can't buy the feeling playing Doom or doing something Doom related does to you.

I'll fund the development of my own Doom clone, based on either Idtech 1 or Build (if I hate myself enough).

Sorted.

2 hours ago, Dubbag said:

take you to the bank with him to start the first deposit immediately

Hang on, you're saying this is like a structured settlement or an annuity? What if I need cash now?

I'd bribe the Freedom developers to get off their butts and finish it. That, and I'd still have Heretic, Hexen, Strife etc.