Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

You Get 2 Million Dollars But you Can Never Play Doom Again

3 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

I'd bribe the Freedom developers to get off their butts and finish it. That, and I'd still have Heretic, Hexen, Strife etc.

You can call it paying the developers to contribute.

(And the current version plays pretty much all WADs anyway, so...)

1 hour ago, Dubbag said:

lol one week later, he shows up at your door with two other guys and says in a thick Jersey accent, "Hey Friend, it seems due to unforeseen circumstances prior to our financial agreement, you owe us a favor......see there's this guy who's been sayin' some things I don't like. And Don't you say no because I already paid yah!" And you go "us? Who's us? WTF is happening right now." Then every time you do one of his "favors" he tells you "this is the last one then you're out" But it's never really the last one. Thus you are driven into a madness you never thought imaginable until something really bad happens...They do the same to someone else and pay them then you're next on the list. I'd imagine it would go something like that. terrifying.

I guess this is what I get for trusting some dude who's like "lol I'll give you $2,000,000 to not play Doom"

take the money and play doom anyways

i don't think he can take the money back unless i signed a contract or something

Bitches.

Take the two million, invest it to build a Doom-themed paintball place with monsters and shit and you'll get the 2 million back while plating Doom on VR or something....

Win-win.

Sure, give me the money and I would learn to use Unity or another engine to create an FPS based on Doom lol

That'd be a nice house bought, and a huge lump sum for discretionary spending, investment or retirement, so hell yeah - I'd quit Doom. I seem to be on the cusp of quitting every few months anyway, so a big wedge of money would do me. Crowdfund it if you want me out of here ;)

Hm, i am a bit simple.

I would "only" need about 200000€ for a bigger Appartment (prices went insane).

No need for a House, i am lazy and a House is much Work and generates Costs for what i would need more Money.

Having a payed Appartment means i need less money, so i would cut down the Hours i have to Work.

So i would offer 5 Years without Doom for 250K €.

22 minutes ago, Endless said:

Bruh, I live in Latinoamerica, give me that shit.

Anybody who lives there would agree with you (y sí, yo también so latinoamericano)

Nice thread. I must watch this film, once and for all.

Concursante (2007) - IMDb

The Contestant - RTVE.es

The boldings are mine.

"The Contestant" recounts the roller coaster ride of Martín Circo, the fortunate winner of the most lucrative game show in the history of television to the tune of three million Euros. In this biting satire of modern consumer society, Martin's stroke of good luck will see his life turned upside down. "Sometimes a stroke of good luck can ruin your life"

i'd rather be poor and do as i like than have wealth and be a subject.  i'd not even take 2 million dollars for gain or loss of some possibility.  i'd truly not.  If someone wants to give me 2M dollars, just give them to me without stupid conditions, or get some other clown for yourself. My life's not subject to anybody's whim.

Edited by dei_eldren

3 hours ago, Grazza said:

Hang on, you're saying this is like a structured settlement or an annuity? What if I need cash now?

you get it within the next few days I guess because it has to process.

Take the cash, invest it into bitcoin at a low, and sell at a high to make a profit. Pay the guy back, and I'm essentially rich and I get to play DOOM. Suck it, Mr. IHateDoom!

4 hours ago, MFG38 said:

I wouldn't take the deal. I love Doom and this community too much to be able to throw it away for any arbitrary price.

On the flipside, $2mil is enough that I could comfortably live off it for the rest of my life without having to worry about finding a job, but I still wouldn't take it.

4 hours ago, VisionThing said:

No, the impact this game and its community have had on me, going back to my formative years, is not for sale! 

3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

10 million doesn't really make you happy. You are buying the idea that you are happy, not that you actually are.

Playing Doom WADS makes me actually happy. There is no idea here; A WAD is a WAD, even when it asks Where All the Data is.

So Doom wins. You can't buy the feeling playing Doom or doing something Doom related does to you.

Fuck no. No amount of money would ever convince me to quit DOOM.

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

10 million doesn't really make you happy. You are buying the idea that you are happy, not that you actually are.

Playing Doom WADS makes me actually happy. There is no idea here; A WAD is a WAD, even when it asks Where All the Data is.

So Doom wins. You can't buy the feeling playing Doom or doing something Doom related does to you.

Unless somebody really needs the money so they can solve the economical problem, that will probably make you happier, like living in Venezuela were the inflation is high af, if you can get the 10 million in the currency of Venezuela and you move to a better country, your not buying the idea that your happy, you're right now living without having to worry about your economic problems like you did before and even go with your family, that's totally being happier with your life than dealing with these types of bs that some people have to live through. 

Of course, in your case then yeah I understand why you'd take Doom rather than the 10 mil

I assume “no Doom” includes no classic Dooms of any sort, no FreeDoom, no Doom64, and no wads/mods designed for Doom. Probably no NuDoom either. That would be a really hard decision because I’ve put so much time into Doom modding.. The thought of never Dooming again is extremely depressing, but that’s $2 million. My Duke 3D and Wolfenstein mod collections would suddenly soar and I’d be learning how to map for them. I’d probably get rid of all reminders of Doom from my house just to keep it out of mind as much as possible.

..If I make some great investments and grow the money, can I pay it back (plus interest) and undo the deal after a few years?!

51 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

..If I make some great investments and grow the money, can I pay it back (plus interest) and undo the deal after a few years?!

Nah Doomkid the whole thing is a trick, he has you in his clutches now. Until the debt is paid, you gotta do some dirty work for him he never told you about to begin with leading you down this rabbit hole of him destroying you telling you "One more favor then you're out" but the last favor never comes until you are the victim for the next guy he chose to do this with. Anyone who takes the money is a dead man walking, deceived into a false promise of paradise.

Edited by Dubbag

13 minutes ago, Dubbag said:

Nah Doomkid the whole thing is a trick, he has you in his clutches now. Until the debt is paid, you gotta do some dirty work for him he never told you about to begin with leading you down this rabbit hole of him destroying you telling you "One more favor then you're out" but the last favor never comes until you are the next victim for the next guy he chose to do this with. Anyone who takes the money is a dead man walking, deceived into a false promise of paradise.

So what you're saying is that there's significant fine print?

1 minute ago, Rytrik said:

So what you're saying is that there's significant fine print?

There's no contract. Evil people like that make up their own rules.

8 minutes ago, Dubbag said:

There's no contract. Evil people like that make up their own rules.

Or I just grab a 10mm handgun and a 7.62mm rifle the next time the doorbell rings. I'm sure they would be armed, and aside from some legal paperwork, it'd be an open and shut case.

2 minutes ago, Jello said:

Or I just grab a 10mm handgun and a 7.62mm rifle the next time the doorbell rings. I'm sure they would be armed, and aside from some legal paperwork, it'd be an open and shut case.

ok but now Hell will now rain down upon you from the rest of the "family".