Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

.MID the way id did - Doom 2 Soundtrack Replacement [RELEASED]

Epic DOOMER music video thing with MAP15's new MIDI, "Score One for the Bolthouse," played on the Roland SC-88 with the SC-55 map :D

5 hours ago, <<Rewind said:

I'm sad to say that I'm mostly not feeling this. I tested it on Woof (RLNDGM) and Chocolate Doom (OPL). Although some tracks were pretty cool. I think especially map26 and map27 are worth playing with the replacement. I've grown to love all the original Doom 2 songs so I'm not gonna use it but I still think the project is interesting.

That's totally understandable, The original music in Doom 2 is pretty iconic so there's no shame in preferring that. And since music is so subjective there's also nothing wrong with outright disliking any of the songs in the set. There are several popular projects that I'm not really into as well. With so many different projects floating around, it's bound to happen.

A big part of why I think this exists is to be a resource pool for future custom maps in other projects, but it's easier to get a consistent direction by using existing maps as a guide instead of everyone making whatever. Thanks for checking it out and reporting the results. I think that if you like at least a few songs in the set it's still a win by my book, even if it's largely not your thing!

20 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I was pleasantly surprised by MAP32's new track, "Suplex the Stars". While it sounds nothing like the one  it is replacing, it is still an amazing track and would not felt out of place in, say, Back to Saturn X!

Thank you so much, I'm really glad you enjoyed it!! Challenging as it was, that one was a lot of fun to write. I adore BTSX, and getting to work on something comparable to its quality and significance would be a dream come true. If you liked Suplex the Stars, you'd probably also enjoy the track I contributed to Peter's No Rest for the Living MIDI Pack, which is similar in style, intensity, and length!

On 4/9/2021 at 4:29 AM, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

I had an idea: I think it would be a very cool experience to do a co-op stream with as many developers as possible, and possibly open to everybody else as well, of Doom II with all the tracks of MTWID2. It would be a nice way to celebrate with the developers, and could give the soundtrack even more exposure.

That would be a lot of fun! I've never played Doom co-op before so this would be as good a starting point as any. As far as I'm aware, either of the dates we put forth will work out fine for me. Maybe we could make a private Discord chat/server for everyone who's wanting to participate, and perhaps edit together a stream highlights video for Doomkid's channel after the fact?

12 minutes ago, CammyBanana said:

Thank you so much, I'm really glad you enjoyed it!! Challenging as it was, that one was a lot of fun to write. I adore BTSX, and getting to work on something comparable to its quality and significance would be a dream come true. If you liked Suplex the Stars, you'd probably also enjoy the track I contributed to Peter's No Rest for the Living MIDI Pack, which is similar in style, intensity, and length!

I actually have downloaded it already, but I have to replay NRFTL yet.

However, listening to "The Last Gatling Gun Rodeo" on YouTube, I can confirm it is good... but I prefer "Suplex The Stars"! ;)

6 hours ago, CammyBanana said:

Maybe we could make a private Discord chat/server for everyone who's wanting to participate, and perhaps edit together a stream highlights video for Doomkid's channel after the fact?

That sounds like a great idea! I can probably also make it both days that Doomkid suggested btw.

I'm sad to say that I'm mostly not feeling this. I tested it on Woof (RLNDGM) and Chocolate Doom (OPL). Although some tracks were pretty cool. I think especially map26 and map27 are worth playing with the replacement. I've grown to love all the original Doom 2 songs so I'm not gonna use it but I still think the project is interesting.

Thank you for giving this kind of feedback! I completely understand and second what Lippeth said above.

On 4/8/2021 at 8:23 PM, Rudolph said:

Ah, fair enough then!

If I  should criticize, then in the exactly opposite way. Long time before project I had embedded attached songs (originally from Freedoom, the older version I think) in d2twid.wad. And coincidentally similarly like "Into Retrowave's City" it reassembles original much more than the rest of original soundtrack. My opinion is if this should be soundtrack for D2TWID it should be kept in this manner. 

"Into Retrowave's City" is perfect as alternative/remix. 

D_RUNNIN.zip

D_STALKS.zip

Woo! I'm excited that this is finally out. Can't wait to give it a spin!

Started playing Doom 2 the way id Did again with this pack; having new tunes makes the maps more fun. I started D2TWID not too long ago, but after Hexsoil and the lack of new music and title pic, it felt 'exhausting' compared to DTWID. With new music it does feel better.

Since D2TWID has new music for Map 31 and 32, and replaces Map 15' music with Into Sandy's City, I made an edit to the wad to swap Map 15's theme with Map 9's, and removed the midis for Map 31 and 32 so that the original music plays for the Keen levels. I added a zip to my post with the wad for convenience sake, if anyone wants to play D2TWID with it. Loading before d2twid.wad will result in Into Sandy's City on Map 15, as the map designer intended, loading afterwards results in Into Retrowave's City on Map 15. The Keen music plays on Map 31 and 32 regardless.

midtwid2 for d2twid.zip

On 4/12/2021 at 1:27 AM, Diabolución said:

@CammyBanana

What a precision (replaygain_track_peak tags of the MIDIs rendered to FLAC)!

Thank you! I must admit I have no clue what this means, so I'm just as impressed as you are that I managed to to accidentally do whatever this is!

5 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Started playing Doom 2 the way id Did again with this pack; having new tunes makes the maps more fun. I started D2TWID not too long ago, but after Hexsoil and the lack of new music and title pic, it felt 'exhausting' compared to DTWID. With new music it does feel better.

Since D2TWID has new music for Map 31 and 32, and replaces Map 15' music with Into Sandy's City, I made an edit to the wad to swap Map 15's theme with Map 9's, and removed the midis for Map 31 and 32 so that the original music plays for the Keen levels. I added a zip to my post with the wad for convenience sake, if anyone wants to play D2TWID with it. Loading before d2twid.wad will result in Into Sandy's City on Map 15, as the map designer intended, loading afterwards results in Into Retrowave's City on Map 15. The Keen music plays on Map 31 and 32 regardless.

midtwid2 for d2twid.zip

This is awesome.

Does the load order you mentioned work the same in, say, Chocolate Doom?

32 minutes ago, Adamast0r said:

This is awesome.

Does the load order you mentioned work the same in, say, Chocolate Doom?

I would assume so; it works this way due to D2TWID having a renamed copy of D_IN_CIT inside the wad to replace D_RUNNI2. Loading d2twid.wad after midtwid2.wad results in the copy of Into Sandy's City overriding the music pack. Its actually an unintended effect I didn't plan for, a happy accident I suppose.

Couple of days ago I thought about something I called (accidentally) exactly like your project. However, I want to add a gimmick as follows: new replacement has to use only instruments and drums used in original midi.

1 hour ago, TOVA said:

new replacement has to use only instruments and drums used in original midi.

So basically the new MIDI must only use instruments that are used in the MIDI it is replacing?  What do you mean by using the same drums?  All MIDIs in DOOM use the Standard Kit (i.e., GS/XG kits are not used), which should be counted as a single (multi-piece) instrument.

@The Ultimate DooMer
Let me explain using an example.
In MAP01 .mid you have: Electric bass (pick), Slap Bass 2, Rock Organ, Synth Drum, Melodic Tom, Overdriven Guitar.
In "drums" there are used: Acoustic Bass Drum, Pedal High Hat, Toms (from Low to High), Electric Snare, Closed High Hat, Crash Cymbal (1 and 2), Bass Drum, Open High Hat, Ride Cymbal (1 and 2), Ride Bell.

New MAP01 .mid has to use allinstruments and drums mentioned above, like original one used.

Sorry for unintentional misunderstanding.

On 4/17/2021 at 1:53 AM, CammyBanana said:

this means

Those numbers mean in an unknown alien tongue you are a fucking killing machine. That Pain-and-Paper is simply legendary.

Well, this project is the reason I did not leave the community for good for reasons, so I want to express my appreciation to it and to the fucking killing machines, who are the cure of that disgusting disease, D_RUNNIN (as default music for any MAP01, but not on its own).

On 4/17/2021 at 4:14 AM, Devalaous said:

Loading d2twid.wad after midtwid2.wad results in the copy of Into Sandy's City overriding the music pack.

Why after?

It's a happy accident where you can effectively choose whether you want the original or the remix on that map. My brother actually hates the remix in this pack, as to his ears, it sounds like half the notes are missing, so he'd be loading it that way just to hear the original.

Also, finished D2TWID just last night with that wad. Fit like a glove.

Hey MIDTWID participants and fans!

We're gonna be going through with the streaming session (as suggested here) on May 2nd!

The schedule is that May 2nd, 7PM UTC is when we'll meetup in Peter's discord and get streaming stuff setup, and 8PM for the actual stream.

If you're a participant who wants to get in on it, join The Megasphere discord linked below!

https://discord.gg/xne4JnBR

On 4/16/2021 at 10:03 PM, Devalaous said:

it thought the same, UDTWID was a far better package with all the new graphics and the music, but now, thanks to .MidTWID2 we can have a complete experience :)
As for the title pic, i found one made by the same author that did the one on UDTWID, i use it for my own wad, but here it is for you ;)
d2twidTITLEPIC.png.30662c2fcd8ef8e31dbd89841b39095c.png

6 hours ago, P41R47 said:

it thought the same, UDTWID was a far better package with all the new graphics and the music, but now, thanks to .MidTWID2 we can have a complete experience :)
As for the title pic, i found one made by the same author that did the one on UDTWID, i use it for my own wad, but here it is for you ;)
d2twidTITLEPIC.png.30662c2fcd8ef8e31dbd89841b39095c.png

Thanks, I'll add it to the wad. I love QoL upgrade fixs to old wads, been planning on making a bunch.

12 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Hey MIDTWID participants and fans!

We're gonna be going through with the streaming session (as suggested here) on May 2nd!

The schedule is that May 2nd, 7PM UTC is when we'll meetup in Peter's discord and get streaming stuff setup, and 8PM for the actual stream.

If you're a participant who wants to get in on it, join The Megasphere discord linked below!

https://discord.gg/xne4JnBR

What's 7pm UTC to Mountain Standard Time?

For Arizona it would be 12pm since it doesn't take DST into account. I also just realized that UTC+0 is not UK time, and I don't know why I assumed it was, but I was a bit confused for a second, thinking it would be 11am for Arizona.

4 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

For Arizona it would be 12pm since it doesn't take DST into account. I also just realized that UTC+0 is not UK time, and I don't know why I assumed it was, but I was a bit confused for a second, thinking it would be 11am for Arizona.

I believe that UTC is actually the same as UK time, except that it doesn't take into account daylight savings time. UTC is also considered an international time standard, rather than a time zone.