Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Star Trek Demo

Jason Sloan has let us know that he has released a one-level demo of his in-progress Star Trek project at Doomarena. It requires the latest version of Legacy to run.

I am not great with graphics but I have tried to do most of them myself and although I do not consider them perfect I think they give a reasonable feel of the Star Trek universe. Some of the sounds I think will also need some work on. The phasers are the ones that I am most unhappy with but they do the job well enough. It's only a small level but challengable. I hope you like it; some feedback would be appreciated good or constructive.

Okay, the sound effects are okay, and a couple of the textures are nice.

But there's no semblance of good detail, many of the textures tile really badly, and all-in-all it feels more like a MAP01 level than anything else, as the bad guys are few and far between.
It's supposed to be for Legacy only, but I don't see anything that seems strictly-legacy. As far as I'm concerned, it might as well be doom2.exe. It's certainly not stretching the visplane limits.
I don't even see the point in making this a TC. There's nothing interesting or fun about how it becomes Star Trek. Just because the pistol looks like a phaser, it doesn't change the feel of the whole game.

Hyena said:

how it becomes Star Trek. Just because the pistol looks like a phaser, it doesn't change the feel of the whole game.

Ahhhh, but later on you get to use your tricorder to endlessly scan for tachion traces indicating phaser fire some 50 years before you got there.

On level 08, you get to meet a seemingly idyllic population who flounce around wearing clean versions of medieval peasant garb, unaware of the bigger problems of the universe that you have to visit upon them, but without breaking the prime directive. Watch out for the second in command of these pseudo peasants, he will stir things up against you at some point.

And all the while there is a significant member of your crew who is having a personal dilemma that strangely mirrors the bigger plot.

Oh yeah, and a guy in a red suit that you've never seen before buys the farm on map 14.

Any actual fighting will be hand to hand and poor take offs of martial arts movies, looking like they are in slow motion, only they're not. Someone may threaten someone else with a phaser and an impetuous Klingon may actually fire one. An eyebrowless barmaid will pour oil on the troubled waters though.

On map 27 you get the opportunity to find both Data's sense of humour and the mystery behind why Spock has suddenly become emotional, whilst an attractive alien seems unrealistically attracted to you.

Map 30 is reserved for the witty summing up quips that each significant member of the crew gets to contribute to. This level will be especially good in co-op mode.

Now does it feel like Star Trek?

Rellik said:

Ah Hyena, ever the optimist. :p

Optimist? I did play it before saying anything.

Enjay said:

Ahhhh, but later on you get to use your tricorder to endlessly scan for tachion traces indicating phaser fire some 50 years before you got there.

On level 08, you get to meet a seemingly idyllic population who flounce around wearing clean versions of medieval peasant garb, unaware of the bigger problems of the universe that you have to visit upon them, but without breaking the prime directive. Watch out for the second in command of these pseudo peasants, he will stir things up against you at some point.

And all the while there is a significant member of your crew who is having a personal dilemma that strangely mirrors the bigger plot.

Oh yeah, and a guy in a red suit that you've never seen before buys the farm on map 14.

Any actual fighting will be hand to hand and poor take offs of martial arts movies, looking like they are in slow motion, only they're not. Someone may threaten someone else with a phaser and an impetuous Klingon may actually fire one. An eyebrowless barmaid will pour oil on the troubled waters though.

On map 27 you get the opportunity to find both Data's sense of humour and the mystery behind why Spock has suddenly become emotional, whilst an attractive alien seems unrealistically attracted to you.

Map 30 is reserved for the witty summing up quips that each significant member of the crew gets to contribute to. This level will be especially good in co-op mode.

Now does it feel like Star Trek?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!! Very well put.

But seriously, I think "Darkest Hour" perfectly captured the feel of Star Wars without goofy alien comic relief or occasional repetition of "I have a bad feeling about this". I also would recommend that those who haven't heard of it that like zdoom wads should look for DARKHOUR.WAD

I spoze I'll try it out, but c'mon, how many star trek conversions has there been through the years? I have yet to actually enjoy any of them to boot. All that happens is I wander around a boring ship with bad textures for about 15 minutes with a crumby looking phazer thingy, and yet I still don't have anything to actually shoot at because it's star trek and they don't really ever shoot anything in it anyways. *Sigh* Oh well, I spoze I'll try it out and see what it's about then.

Well, I tried to try it out, guess I don't have permission to access the desired file on the server anyways. Damn, guess I don't get to play it. shucks.

Darkest Hour also just ripped everything from Dark Forces.

Instant Star Wars TC, Just add sprites.

I remember another Startrek TC where you were on the old 60's enterprise. Also had some cool weapons. I think it was called like ncc1701.wad or something.... that one had a very good feel.

The phaser is cool. It must presumably be set to a constantly retriaxelating remodulating inverse harmonic frequency, since the borg don't appear able to adapt to it. :)

Enjay: So you've played Voyager Elite Force, then? It has a "guy who dies", and it has a feeble quip at Tuvok's expense at the end, IIRC. (Pretty good game though.)

Star Trek Doom stuff can be found here BTW.

I'm tired of seeing the borg used as enemies in Star Trek TCs (especially the same two enemy sprites that have been around since 1994). I'd play the hell out of one set in the DS9 theme with Jem'Hadar and Cardassians as enemies, or Founders/changelings for that matter. Even better if you play a Klingon main character.

Hmmm...

(WARNING: Extreme nerdiness follows! And uh... DS9 spoilers if you care about that sort of thing.)

It could start in a Dominion prison complex, where you're forced to fight hand-to-hand with an almost endless line of Jem'Hadar. Eventually you escape, with just a sliver of health and a crappy pulse phaser, and stow away on a Cardassian freighter. You kill all aboard, and pilot the ship to the alpha quadrant, only to find DS9 taken over by Dominion soldiers. You sneak around and find some scripted Starfleet Marines, who you have to free. Then some more shit happens and you kill some stuff and win the game, possibly by collapsing the wormhole using the Romero head explosion effect.

Weapons:
-Fists
-D'k Tagh (dagger)
-Bat'Leth (sword) (use a Hexen weapon here for an extra melee)
-Jem'Hadar pulse phaser (automatic but weak)
-Cardassian phaser rifle (weak but versatile)
-Federation hand-held phaser (carry two at a time)
-Federation phaser rifle (lots of settings, uses power cells quickly)
-Tricobalt Explosives
-Biogenic Grenade (with BFG effect)
(Use Hexen/Heretic stuff in ZDoom for extra projectiles)

Items:
-Battle Armor
-Armor plate (armor bonus)
-Cloaking Device
-Field Ration (health bonus)
-Blood Wine (small health)
-Hypospray (medium health)
-EMH (offers mega-health)
-Shroud of Kahless (mega armor or invulnerability)
-Ketracel White (berserk)

Enemies:
-Jem'Hadar (melee or phaser, uses ZDoom style stealth cloak)
-Cardassian (always uses phaser, but tends to snipe)
-Vorta (hides in the shadows and poisons you)
-Changeling (can morph into scenery and is very deadly up close. Can take many forms)
-Vole (a space rat. Bites you while in DS9's access conduits. The "head crab" of Star Trek)

Levels:
-Dominion Prison (arena style level)
-Cardassian Freighter (multiple levels)
-DS9 (entirely recreated, not just promenade/ops, would need extensive ZDoom slopes)
-Bajor (secret level maybe, see some temples/farming villages. These would be huge SS style open landscapes)

I can't believe I just typed all that off the top of my head. Well, I'd go kill myself now, but not until I get my DS9 seasons 5-7 DVDs :)

Wow thats a good idea ! :>

by the way the borg might not be the only monsters in the TC
i was going to do a series of missions with differnt planets monsters etc.
AND The weapons are temporary.

Cory said:

I can't believe I just typed all that off the top of my head. Well, I'd go kill myself now, but not until I get my DS9 seasons 5-7 DVDs :)

Heh!

And to be clear, my earlier post wasn't pissing on the TC. It wasn't really even pissing on Star Trek (well, maybe a little). I sometimes watch it and usually find it good fun. It just tends to be a bit repetative, predicatable and anal IMO. Still, that seems to be a winning formula.

Bloodshedder said:

Um...

Star Wars != Star Trek

I know. I was saying that if someone can capture the feel of Star Wars well, someone can do the same with Star Trek.
Unfortunately most of the people who make Star Wars or Star Trek conversions don't really know how doom works.

And yes, Darkest Hour stole a lot of stuff from Dark Forces. But how many projects can you name that stole sprites and textures from Heretic and Hexen?
It did a lot of cool stuff with the resources. Although, a little weapons dehacked would be nice.

Hyena said:

Okay, the sound effects are okay, and a couple of the textures are nice.

But there's no semblance of good detail, many of the textures tile really badly, and all-in-all it feels more like a MAP01 level than anything else, as the bad guys are few and far between.
It's supposed to be for Legacy only, but I don't see anything that seems strictly-legacy. As far as I'm concerned, it might as well be doom2.exe. It's certainly not stretching the visplane limits.
I don't even see the point in making this a TC. There's nothing interesting or fun about how it becomes Star Trek. Just because the pistol looks like a phaser, it doesn't change the feel of the whole game.

umm i don't know how much you paid attention to the map, but it DID featured legacy room-above-rooms, and when i tried running it with zdoom it had lots of trouble with the flats for some reason.

Well, it's not like it matters too much now, as it's been cancelled, but I finally tried it out. As far as star trek mods go it was a bit better, but as far as good conversions go it felt lacking. Yeah it was a demo, but I just can't get past the premise. I've never been interested in star trek, and as such the whole thing seems rather boring and pointless. On the plus side, it featured lots of enemies to kill, but the weapons really didn't change any, they just had new graphics, so it wasn't really anything new or fun to kill the enemies with them. The enemies themselves were from what I've read above, 'borgs', but they just looked like somewhate crumbilly modified former humans and former human sargeants. The level design was alright, it accomplished a first level feel, short and sweet, but maybe he should've cut out some of the keys, I don't think you need that many keys in a first level, especially one this small, but maybe that's just me. So yeah, as far as star trek conversions go, I enjoyed this one the most out of the ones I've played, but I'd rather play a normal doom wad.

The two latest news items from Feb. 24 are now obsolete. Star Trek TC: closed. Pray for Death site: closed. If things go on like this, there will be very few news items left to post... I'm starting to think that DoomWorld not picking up my news item (about XWE V1.11 being released) was a good thing.

I think it's a shame the TC was cancelled. A shame for the people who were probably going to enjoy playing it, but a bigger shame that the author thought a few comments from us were worth cancelling his project over. If I had a project I was working on, it would be for me first and formost. Comments here would be pretty irrelevant if I still wanted to get it done. Maybe that wasn't his priority though.

When do people learn!!!

A wad needs to be über-godly to get a good review from Deathz0r, ordinarily godly doesn't quite cut it!!!

I think this community needs to be a little more accepting of new conversions. Not everything put out is going to be P:AR or Mordeth Quality. But this place thrives on new wads and is basically the only thing keeping this place going. For us to shun a wad we feel is inferior could potentially rob us of a future great mapper or wad. I use Lizardcommando's Lizard TC for example. I may not be fond of the style of the weapons, but I still want to see what becomes of it for the obvious reason that there's always potential for improvement. Had someone here told me I sucked back in the day, I might have been discouraged and not continued editing.

I for one would like to see the ST TC return, I'm not a big trek fan, but it could've turned out to be fun, alas I'll never see it now.

I don't think any opinions expressed here would cancel the TC. How many demos have we seen released though out the years with out ever beign finished or seen again. If the creator can't take comments they why release the thing unfinished? I think here we have a case of looking for people to offer to help and because you are proud of what you have done, as you should.

I posted this to Enjay earlier....

I went over to DW today and was suprised by the amount of comments there were...Most of them reflected what had really been playing on my mind and that was really that it was not up to scratch.

It was nowhere near what I am capable of with reguard to mapping. The textures were not up to the Job. I started this a long time ago and soon realised that this was not going to be easy. A tc is not an easy thing to do and with Star Trek it was going to have to be right and I am just not that good and I am not too big to admit that. I do not have the time as doing the news for Newdoom is my main focus and this did not leave enough time for all the projects I was working on to get enough of my time.

So in a nutshell it was not the comments at DW but a few emails I recieved. These were not nasty but they made me realise it was not going to work.

I might zip up what textures and sounds I am happy with so that they can be used if anyone would like to (although I won't hold my breath)

I was going to post this myself but my password seems to have changed or something and I cannot log in.....although it's been a while since I did that.

Another one bites the dust. :-)

I posted this to him cos I hate filling out forms (registration) but as it turned out it wasn't too much to do. Re-register that is.

Cory said:

I'm tired of seeing the borg used as enemies in Star Trek TCs (especially the same two enemy sprites that have been around since 1994). I'd play the hell out of one set in the DS9 theme with Jem'Hadar and Cardassians as enemies, or Founders/changelings for that matter. Even better if you play a Klingon main character.

<snip>

-DS9 (entirely recreated, not just promenade/ops, would need extensive ZDoom slopes)

Agreed - I think DS9 is the only Star Trek that's really worthy of a Doom TC, great atmosphere, great enemies and none of that scrubbed-up, sanatised "violence doesn't solve anything" BS of the other shows.

So why aren't you off making this TC, huh? [hint, hint]

I think it would be very difficult to do a credible portrayal of the DS9 station in Doom though - even with a source port all those angles, organic looking curves and true 3D platforms would end up looking pretty flat I'd say.

thx.