Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Hexen: Edge of Chaos Update

On 5/16/2020 at 10:01 AM, printz said:

Yeah, I'd appreciate it. Right now I'm not planning to reuse stuff, but later I may be interested.

I know this forum is a bit dated and old, but if CaffeineFreak, Printz, or anyone else is interested, I've always wanted to put together a team and recreate my own version of the Heretic/Hexen Series. I feel like there was alot that could've been explored more in depth in terms of monsters, world building, etc. I'm not coder or programmer, but I am a designer and may be the kind of person who would be able to "fund" such an endeavor, but only if we had the right people for the right positions. 

I know this is a long shot and I'm not expecting anything to happen anytime soon, but if you guys are interested, I would love to reach out in the future on a potential collab for this kind of revival project.

11 years isn't OLD

Seriously though, unless you're obsessed with Doom 3 and can't imagine doing a Hexen mod in any other engine... I'd stay far far away. GZDoom could get 90% of the way there and the missing 10% won't be missed by the majority of people who even know or care about Hexen. Plus it already supports the original Hexen game, meaning you don't have to recreate literally everything. Meaning it's actually possible to finish the project without professional level dedication. Even if this were finished, how many people would drag out their copy of D3 just to play it?

On 4/8/2021 at 5:06 AM, magicsofa said:

11 years isn't OLD

Seriously though, unless you're obsessed with Doom 3 and can't imagine doing a Hexen mod in any other engine... I'd stay far far away. GZDoom could get 90% of the way there and the missing 10% won't be missed by the majority of people who even know or care about Hexen. Plus it already supports the original Hexen game, meaning you don't have to recreate literally everything. Meaning it's actually possible to finish the project without professional level dedication. Even if this were finished, how many people would drag out their copy of D3 just to play it?

GZDoom couldn't handle a Hexen recreation in my opinion; Doom 3 can handle a Hexen port, it just takes some work on the rendering side of the things. 

Several years ago now, I was part of the EoC team and worked on the graphics side of things for a little while, reskinning models, graphic effects, creating serval new textures and ended up making the Doom3 to Hexen EoC conversion when we planned to move to source as a stand alone engine. I added a couple maps in but I don't remember if I ever completed them. At some point I got pretty frustrated that it seemed nothing was actually happening in the project. Although I had some pretty r/l concerns of my own for example my mom was about to die from Cancer. So things didn't really go over too well at the time of my dismissal. I went to work on Arx EoS. I think CaffeineFreak pretty much took over all the mapping work for whatever maps that weren't complete, he was basically the work horse behind the project from the get go though, if I recall. I'm not sure where the project left off. Though I'd assume CaffeineFreak would be the guy to ask about handing off the project for revival.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

@magicsofa Sounds to me like you're obssessed with GZDoom

Would be nice to see the assets released AS THEY ARE, just like Recall to Hell did, maybe some community use could happen with them. 

4 minutes ago, xyzz said:

@magicsofa Sounds to me like you're obssessed with GZDoom

I was gonna say that's a weird accusation, but then I realized you are responding to me saying "unless you are obsessed with Doom 3." I'm not obsessed with GZ at all... it's just that it's very widely used and has such extensive modding capabilities that you could accomplish many of the features seen here. Please don't get me wrong - I am not against anyone who decides that the D3 engine is their favorite and they really want to do Hexen in it. I'm such a big Hexen fan, I would've installed Doom 3 to play this mod. But that's the thing - I don't have D3 already, and when I did I barely played it, and it just doesn't have the audience that Doom '93 does. Furthermore, Hexen only has a slice of that audience too. So even if the mod doesn't require Hexen anyway, it's also not going to draw that many people who are already into Doom 3. So in a general sense, it would be more practical to benefit from the larger audience of OG doom (whether it's GZ or not, you want to mod vanilla Hexen be my guest) and the existing Hexen resources than to build it from scratch in a lesser known engine. If Doom 3 is really your jam, that's fine... just know that it will be a huge amount of work with somewhat less exposure to players. It's only worth it if you are passionate enough that those circumstances don't bother you.

4 hours ago, magicsofa said:

But that's the thing - I don't have D3 already, and when I did I barely played it,

Then why post in a topic about Doom 3 modding if you don't even care to have Doom 3 on your computer? It's pretty obvious that people looking for Doom 3 stuff don't want to see these posts, we know full well that Doom 2 is more popular and that it's easier to mod for GZDoom with its ugly sprite graphics, but we're still interested in Doom 3 stuff because overall it just looks better. 

6 hours ago, printz said:

Then why post in a topic about Doom 3 modding

Because someone very new to Doomworld came along and said in a very generic fashion, "I'm interested in recreating Hexen." So new in fact that that was their only post so far. I'm not sure they are looking for Doom 3 stuff at all - which would be very excusable since this thread isn't even in the Doom 3 section. If @Major-4thdegree came back and said they just really have a soft spot for D3, they would have my full support. Like I said, I would drag out my copy of D3 to play this mod. But when someone new comes along saying "hey, I don't know how to mod but I want to do a recreation of this slightly obscure game," I think they deserve fair warning about what they are getting into. Which is likely years of work sunk into a project that will not enjoy much visibility. Caffeine said themselves that if they were to restart this project, they'd opt for a more modern engine anyway, and I'd say that's a reasonable decision. Still, it's such a huge undertaking... we're talking about building an entire game from scratch. If you have the cojones for that, go for it. Just know that you will be giving yourself a full time job for no pay, and unless you are already a master modder/developer, it will be like attending school at the same time.

i did not expect controversy on a hexen thread but honestely with all the work he will have with coding and rebuilding assets i think he should just make his own game with its own ip instead have it be based on hexen and release it on the doom 3 engine

On 4/28/2021 at 7:48 AM, printz said:

Then why post in a topic about Doom 3 modding if you don't even care to have Doom 3 on your computer? It's pretty obvious that people looking for Doom 3 stuff don't want to see these posts, we know full well that Doom 2 is more popular and that it's easier to mod for GZDoom with its ugly sprite graphics, but we're still interested in Doom 3 stuff because overall it just looks better. 

gzdoom supports obj, md2 and md3 models

I am working on a huge 3d warhammer 40000 modelpack for gzdoom right now using quake 3 player models

On 4/8/2021 at 8:06 AM, magicsofa said:

11 years isn't OLD

say that again when you notice that mw2 is being remastered and threw out your 7:3 cheeto dust to innerds ratio setup from that time.

So this project is dead/on hold right? If you people are working on a separate project, can you please take it to a different thread?

2 hours ago, Gothic said:

If you people are working on a separate project, can you please take it to a different thread?

Us people are not doing any work at all, just bickering amongst ourselves :)