Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NBH

Doom Annihilation is getting a sequel

1 minute ago, Noiser said:

Anything that loosely resembles the OG caco.

Preferably, the 2016/Eternal cacos would work. They're pretty close, as opposed to Doom 3 and 64's cacos.

The first movie shows a lot that it is low budget, but even so, it entertained me and I managed to enjoy it with my brother, so let's see if this improves or will be worse although i still have the question of how the first movie was considered "successful"

Just now, Gaia74 said:

The first movie shows a lot that it is low budget, but even so, it entertained me and I managed to enjoy it with my brother, so let's see if this improves or will be worse although i still have the question of how the first movie was considered "successful"

I would say that it's because some people like movies with that level of quality, but that wouldn't make it successful. Looking back at Mortal Kombat/Mortal Kombat Annihilation, they're fun movies, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were considered massive failures.

4 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I would say that it's because some people like movies with that level of quality, but that wouldn't make it successful. Looking back at Mortal Kombat/Mortal Kombat Annihilation, they're fun movies, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were considered massive failures.

I'm also a person who don't watches a lot of movies, so my standards are probably low, as long as I am entertained it is enough for me

Still, I completely agree that the first movie was not particularly good, and it could be a thousand times better

2 minutes ago, Reelvonic said:

doom 3 is one of my favorites even if the monsters look goofy af

it'd be cool to see a mix of the first 2 games and doom 3

I agree, though it would have to depend on how realistic or cartoonish the theme is. Realistic is the most likely theme for a Doom movie, especially live-action. But an animated movie might retain the OG Doom semi-cartoonish style, even if it used more realistic visuals (like a Doom 2016/Eternal caco design, for example) or used Disney/Pixar styles with OG designs.

1 minute ago, Gaia74 said:

I'm also a person who don't watches a lot of movies, so my standards are probably low, as long as I am entertained it is enough for me

Still, I completely agree that the first movie was not particularly good, and it could be a thousand times better

Honestly, Doom Annihilation somewhat feels like it's a knock-off Aliens movie with the visual style of a Syfy movie. Not particularly bad if it was only that, but there's definitely more they could have done with it provided the budget or resources were there.

7 minutes ago, Reelvonic said:

i think for some big budget film adaptations(or show) for certain games a serious anime-like artstyle would work.

That might work if they got Kouta Hirano to do a Doom movie in the same style as Hellsing Ultimate. Or  have Hajima Isayama do one in the Attack on Titan style, the Cyberdemon would probably look badass if was the same size as the Attack Titan or something.

im really happy about this honestly, but I liked the first movie personally. And anyway I think any Doom fan should be excited to see any official doom film content being successful, just because it means the doors are more open for future films which might align with whatever they want. If a licensed movie does especially poorly its usually not a signal to the production company that they need to come back with a second try / a different vision, it usually just means any future projects are dead in the water.

Just now, Reelvonic said:

oh fuck yes it would

I'm not sure how well it would be received, but Doomguy theoretically could use maneuvering gear like in AoT, just with guns. Like slingshotting himself into the Cyberdemon's face and shooting it's head off with a BFG blast.

'Avatar' they are not, but I like both of the movies for what they are. Sure a lot of story/plot are not 'Doom' but a lot of game based movies are REALLY bad in that respect. Who remembers the He Man movie? Or even worse the Streetfighter movie?

I quite like B movies anyway (Sharknado - funny as fuck) so I will probably like any proposed 3rd Doom movie.

Basically, if taken with a big pinch of salt, I'm all for it.

6 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

'Avatar' they are not, but I like both of the movies for what they are. Sure a lot of story/plot are not 'Doom' but a lot of game based movies are REALLY bad in that respect. Who remembers the He Man movie? Or even worse the Streetfighter movie?

I quite like B movies anyway (Sharknado - funny as fuck) so I will probably like any proposed 3rd Doom movie.

Basically, if taken with a big pinch of salt, I'm all for it.

Most video game movies, if they're not absolutely terrible, are at least meme-worthy. We wouldn't have gotten "OF COURSE" if it hadn't been for the Streetfighter movie. And the old Mortal Kombat movies were endearing, even though they were barely serious and were cheesy more often that not.

1 minute ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Most video game movies, if they're not absolutely terrible, are at least meme-worthy. We wouldn't have gotten "OF COURSE" if it hadn't been for the Streetfighter movie. And the old Mortal Kombat movies were endearing, even though they were barely serious and were cheesy more often that not.

i'm your ultra nightmare, mOTheRFuCkeR.

Just now, EtherBot said:

i'm your ultra nightmare, mOTheRFuCkeR.

*fires LMG with inexplicable mini-gun whirring sound*

1 minute ago, Reelvonic said:

"meme-worthy" isnt a good quality, call me weird but i dislike pretty much all memes, mostly "trend memes".

like idiots shouting DaBaBy

I like memes because, at times, they describe things that I can't or don't have the energy to explain. But I can see how you feel about them, and I don't understand the DaBaBy thing either, apart from the context of who it's based on.

3 minutes ago, a.a.i. said:

What is the point of a Doom movie? Do people actually pay to watch this shit?

I suppose it's a trend, since every other form of entertainment gets turned into a movie somehow. Sometimes it works, but not usually for video games. Although I did pay for a DVD of Doom 2005 when I was younger, before I played the games extensively.

I like unironically really liked Doom Annihilation but I have a sort of fascination with certain movies which I would characterize as "patchy but well intentioned." There are a lot of movies which are objectively very well made but feel generic or mechanical to me. Sometimes I don't like a movie to fire on all cylinders, I guess. There's something inviting and comfy about something which was self-evidently man-made -- something where you can see the seams. My mind tends to linger more on movies like the Maze Runner films and the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark film than on other films which are like, objectively superior. Thats just a weird quirk about my sensibilities I guess. The OG Doom movie I do have a fondness for, but to me its heart really isnt in the right place. Say what you like about Giglio's interpretation of what an ideal Doom film is at his budget and competency, but at least to me there is a very real sense of someone who is both intimately familiar with and also genuinely fond of the source material. The end result, to me, isn't exactly the most polished or even ideal from a creative direction product....but it almost feels more like a gift. And it's hard for me to be cynical about that.

20 minutes ago, a.a.i. said:

There has never been a good video game movie

I thought Silent Hill was alright. And Postal, despite pacing issues and being made by Uwe Bolle, was pretty good, at least it was close to the source material.

The first Mortal Kombat was pretty enjoyable, mainly because it was a straight ripoff of Enter the Dragon. But so was the game.

There was an old PC Gamer article that floated the idea of Nicholas Cage starring in a Doom movie. Whether that was serious or not, even then I thought it sounded pretty cringe. 

Has there ever been a good video game film adaption? As in actually good, and not dumbed-down or different enough from the original concept that it may as well be a totally different thing? On paper, making Doom into a film is the EASIEST thing ever: you take one spoon of Evil Dead, one spoon of Commando, add water and stir. The more tongue in cheek the better. I could do this in my sleep! Instead we got the 2007 one with The Rock, which despite being an occasional okay dose of big and stupid really came nowhere near the mark.

So far two directors have failed at this seemingly simple task. I don't really care if its Doomguy or Doomgirl, but the original protagonist is clearly some kind of Die Hard-esque everyman who gets thrust into an absurd situation, and Karl Urbans "muh deep tortured past" didn't sell me as much as what little I've seen of Annihilation also really doesn't sell me either. And yeah "ultra nightmare mothafucka lol" isn't cool or funny, its just low effort meme content.

If people aren't going to get this right then they shouldn't bother. Whatever, that's just my thoughts and if it works for you then that's cool, but it doesn't work for me I'm afraid.

Just... Why?

They must have made that thing on an absolute shoestring budget to turn a profit on that thing (and the budget shows).

Or maybe it’s a Uwe Boll tax break kinda thing or something.

I was in the studio at the time and Tony Giglio said that he would only ever make another doom movie if he wanted Civvie to make a new movie review.

oh, yes! i love DA, and i want the sequel. and i have nothing against Joan. and i am a Doom fan. low-budget action B-movie is how i always thoght Doom movie should be made. give me more of that!

after watching people play Doom Eternal and groan their way through all the lore, I'm willing to give directors a chance to diverge from the material =P my gawd

gimme a Doom barbarian movie, bring that hopeless grim feeling of characters who are good at surviving a hostile land but not good at anything else and too principled to learn

It's hilarious that people hated the movie because it's not the successor to Citizen Kane they believe Doom deserves.

Doom itself is an Aliens rip-off. What do you expect a movie about it will be like?
If you don't like it, don't watch it. I think the movies are funny, I watch them to laugh, and I'm glad there will be a new one.

I disliked Doom 2015 because it was too long, too much talking, and too little killing, I think Annihilation portrayed the game's vibes quite efficiently, and I'm curious to see what they will be able to pull this time with a bigger budget.

Personally, I'd just like a Doom movie with some decent action with a strong enough budget to pull it off. The first Doom film had the budget, but took one too many notes from Doom 3 and had people wander about in the dark with lame jumpscares and people standing around in rooms talking. Meanwhile Doom Annihilation tried to be more action-packed but fell flat thanks to an embarrassingly-low budget leading to it looking like a crowdfunded fan film that had the actors running around in what looks like paintball gear and touting really cheap-looking toy prop guns, recycled the same sets and only had one bloke in a costume to portray most of the demons.

Much like Mark, I too don't think it needs to be anything critically-revered, it just needs a lot more to work with budget-wise and some stronger talent behind the camera. There's more than enough to pull off a good dumb fun movie that revels in the spirit of schlocky 80s/90s action cheese. It just needs the right resources and people to pull it off. Time will tell.

I liked the original doom movie, but have not yet watched the new one.

The more movie content the better, don't like it, don't watch it.