Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4MaTC

Parallel Doomensions (demo) [Quake inspired wad/Boom format]

Very nice! The maps are well designed and the use of Quake textures almost make me forget they were not designed with Doom in mind. The Fiend's sounds also fit the Pinky surprisingly well! The music is great too; was it composed for the project?

Although I do not understand why the former humans use the Vore idle grunt as their active sound or why the Rocket Launcher is not using its Quake counterpart's sound effects. Also, if you are going to use the Nailgun sound effects, why not replace the Pistol and the Chaingun with the Nailgun and the Supernailgun? I believe sprite models for those two have been made, e.g. Descent Into Heresy.

Edited by Rudolph

34 minutes ago, Joseph Bullock (MrBin) said:

@Rudolph To answer your question about the music, yes it was composed for this project by @PRIMEVAL and myself. I'm glad you enjoy it!

Holy crap! You folks are committed to this project. :P

wrong thread, sorry about that.

Edited by Egg Boy : wrong thread

18 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Very nice! The maps are well designed and the use of Quake textures almost make me forget they were not designed with Doom in mind. The Fiend's sounds also fit the Pinky surprisingly well! The music is great too; was it composed for the project?

Although I do not understand why the former humans use the Vore idle grunt as their active sound or why the Rocket Launcher is not using its Quake counterpart's sound effects. Also, if you are going to use the Nailgun sound effects, why not replace the Pistol and the Chaingun with the Nailgun and the Supernailgun? I believe sprite models for those two have been made, e.g. Descent Into Heresy.

Vore is replacing the Mancubus (sprite set) and the Manc uses the Zombie Active sounds. Easily changed in ZDoom but this is for Boom, and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to have them not share it lol.

Rocket Launcher should be using the Quake rocket sound... that's odd, must have been overlooked. Oops. And the Nailgun sfx are from Dimension of the Boomed, they were never changed from that.

Having both ran this through gzdoom and DOS, and listened to the music on its own, I am extremely impressed!

On 4/15/2021 at 8:58 PM, PRIMEVAL said:

Vore is replacing the Mancubus (sprite set) and the Manc uses the Zombie Active sounds. Easily changed in ZDoom but this is for Boom, and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to have them not share it lol.

I used WhackEd4 to edit dehacked files and that lets you change the sounds of things.

Or you can write in the dehacked file directly "Alert sound = x" for example.

On 4/17/2021 at 4:13 AM, Forli said:

I used WhackEd4 to edit dehacked files and that lets you change the sounds of things.

Or you can write in the dehacked file directly "Alert sound = x" for example.

You're hired.

Come to think of it, should the Vore not replace the Revenant instead of the Mancubus?

24 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Come to think of it, should the Vore not replace the Revenant instead of the Mancubus?

Only because of the homing missile? Nah, rev is iconic to doom and is much more agile then vore

I would keep the Mancubus as is and replace the Arch-Vile with the Shambler.

I think the Revenant's homing attack and agility fits the Vore better than the Mancubus' large hitbox, slow speed and inaccurate shots.

Would it not make more sense for the Vore to replace the Arachnotron? Since they are both spiderlike, and the Arachnotron's attacks kinda force the player to take cover as the Vore's does.

Would look kinda weird, imo, how the Vore fires its projectiles. Rapid fire headbanging throwing plasma balls.