• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rince-wind

We draw it, we map it

On 2/17/2021 at 12:38 AM, Rince-wind said:

A5, B1, B2, C1, C4, D2, D3, E1

686130068_WedrawWemapprogress.png.b8f0fa11ee28e65aef2114582c9bdfee.png

this is certainly a good amount of progress. can't wait to see what everyone else has done.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:23 AM, FishingHoek said:

I just got C3 done, hope it's to your liking. I'm pretty happy with it, myself.

LgfGqPv.png

It's pretty good, not sure why you made the corners damage you though

3 hours ago, Rince-wind said:

It's pretty good, not sure why you made the corners damage you though

Oh whoops! I had originally made those corners toxic floors and I completely forgot to change the sector type. Here's a fixed version.

CellC3fix.zip

I SO wanna Demo this one when its done

I actually can't wait to check it out also.

If it turns out pretty cool, I wanna be in the next run.. 

4 hours ago, Rince-wind said:

I gotta be honest, this is rather underwhelming, but I'd like to hear @Peccatum Mihzamiz's opinion on this since he drew this section

Dear @Robot J,

Thank you for mapping cell B5! I checked out your work and see you made quite the effort! I have to say it differs in some substantial ways from what I had envisioned. It was a complex and perhaps not-so-clear drawing I had made so I understand. And I understand the maps will turn out different from what the person who drew it might expect.

Right now most gameplay elements differ so much from the original idea, that I would still like a lot of things to be changed. In the original thread I elaborated on what I meant with the drawing. Perhaps you didn't get to see the text? If you are ok with the map being adjusted but don't feel like adding changes yourself, I would enjoy having a crack at it myself. Ciao!

Usually I’m not good with normal mapping and I tried my best to replicate the cell (I also did not see the text) but I think this is probably the best I can do (other than deathmatch mapping) so if you’d like to try you can but I probably wouldn’t be able to do better :(

1 hour ago, Robot J said:

Usually I’m not good with normal mapping and I tried my best to replicate the cell (I also did not see the text) but I think this is probably the best I can do (other than deathmatch mapping) so if you’d like to try you can but I probably wouldn’t be able to do better :(

Well at least you tried, and I appreciate that

On 3/29/2021 at 4:22 AM, Rince-wind said:

I have added a deadline for cell submissions: 15/04/2021

I'm wondering, what will happen if and when this deadline isn't met? It'd be a shame if this map doesn't see the light of day.

Since the thread's been bumped, just a quick progress report: wrapping up a couple other projects and freeing up my IRL schedule a little gave me the foreseeable time I'll need to finish my cell by the deadline. I'm a pretty inexperienced mapper and I've had my eye on other things for the past few weeks, so just bear with me.

I'm also working on another original MIDI for this map - priority is on the mapping of course, but the MIDI shouldn't come long after! It's just as eclectic as Pain-and-Paper was, but a bit more chill and probably a bit shorter, just so it'll fit in the vanilla file limit.

@FishingHoek Honestly I just put it there to give this thread a jolt of energy, I doubt I'll be putting this project in the trash if the deadline isn't met. Though I would prefer if it was done before the deadline.

@CammyBanana Thanks in advance for the MIDI, I already know it's gonna be a banger!

E2 is done! I imagined it as a boiler room where the demons take in a flow of blood, heating it up to become the lava you find elsewhere in the map. Forgive me for any novice mistakes this map may have. I've never actually submitted a map to Doomworld before, but there's a first time for everything.

wemapit ee too.zip

1 hour ago, Cammy said:

E2 is done! I imagined it as a boiler room where the demons take in a flow of blood, heating it up to become the lava you find elsewhere in the map. Forgive me for any novice mistakes this map may have. I've never actually submitted a map to Doomworld before, but there's a first time for everything.

wemapit ee too.zip

Beautiful! Loving this!

I love this project and would love to participate, time allowing. 

I've been thinking of a similar format independently and it's great to see it work out in action in this thread. I was thinking, for the future, if there was a 'standardized cell format' with 4 cardinal direction exit potentials, and the exits lead to prefab short corridors (think of them like airlocks between worlds) so they're the same across the whole map and different mappers can literally put anything they want in that cell they work in as long as you can get in, it locks you in, and you have to do something to open the doors (kill all monsters, trigger linedef, anything that works) and then you proceed to another cell. 

Then the community is basically making Smash TV where every 1024 x 1024 (or whatever) room looks like it's from a different reality. I think this project has that energy to it already which I love.

I was extra extra thinking about whether there's any possibility to gather a lot of cells from community without anyone knowing what the rest of the map is like, none of the other cells, and randomly arrange maps. Kind of a binding of isaac feeling. I am not sure if technically it's feasible to begin with, and balancing would need a ruleset (something like ''every cell needs to be balanced by itself, considering a marine coming in with absolutely nothing'') but this plays to the strength of this community, which is that so many people can map and like to put their maps in map sets together anyway. 

Did you get the chance to fix my map? The chaingunner inside the crate fort in the center of my map is supposed to be tagged as a deaf monster.

2 hours ago, Lizardcommando said:

Did you get the chance to fix my map? The chaingunner inside the crate fort in the center of my map is supposed to be tagged as a deaf monster.

Not yet

Is there another pic of the cell table so everyone's on the same page?

Not that I've contributed a map or anything, unless there's something I could do. :P

Just wondering where the project stands.

I think this is the progress so far. I'm not sure if I am missing any new maps aside from the ones added in the most recent posts.

WedrawWemap progress2.png