Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

@Faceman2000 I sent the WAD to Sponge, the guy that handles development of the Unity port and he said he would take a look at it but that's about it. I sure hope they do though, a few of the mappers for it play primarily on console, and we built the wad SPECIFICALLY to be compatible with the Unity port. Would be great if console players had the chance to play it too.

3 hours ago, THiEF said:

@Faceman2000 I sent the WAD to Sponge, the guy that handles development of the Unity port and he said he would take a look at it but that's about it. I sure hope they do though, a few of the mappers for it play primarily on console, and we built the wad SPECIFICALLY to be compatible with the Unity port. Would be great if console players had the chance to play it too.

Please, don't take this as something bad, its just my opinion on what i saw from this thread, the mapsets officalized as add-ons, and other disscussion on the forum, but i think developeing team behind the Unity Port is searching for mapsets that have some dehacked modification, and a aesthetic quality more in line with the original design, right now.

If you look to the official add-ons, they have maps that could totally replace some of the original maps of Doom. Maps on Double Impact are just really similar to those found on UD Ep.1, but harder and with designs more in line with all the years of the doom modding community. The same apply to maps on Deathless, follow the aesthetic of the original maps, and all the designing philosofy behind No End In Sight and BTSX is the same as The Way ID Did. Not to mention that BTSX both episodes has original custom music for all their maps. Those mapsets, except for Double Impact, are made by the same team or members of the same team of mappers.
REKKR and Doom Zero on the other hand, achieved the same kind of designing philosophy by their own, and add the dehacking that made them quite different right out of the bat.

The mapset you made guys is really good, as i had a blast playing it, but i think that the Doomnity port philosohy is to works as a right out of the bat working option with some quality of life improvement, and as a showcase of the better the Doom community has to offer after 27 years of mapping and modding.

And your mapset, being designed by console speedruners with, probably, speedrunning in mind, doesn't seems to be representative of the community as, speedrunning in general, is just one part of it.

The lack of a dehacked patch or a DMAPINFO lump that add automap names or other quality of life imrpovements, the lack of original music and borrowing much of it content from other community made mapsets along with the lack of story, doesn't differentiate this mapsets much from other mapsets pre-2010.

Hope i am wrong, i'm just another player and member of the forum, a nobody that knows nothing about the developeing team criteria for choosing mapsets, and i really hope this mapset receive the attention it deserves as you guys made something really good on the abstract design aesthetic side of the spectrum, something not seen much lately.

Edited by P41R47

3 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Please, don't take this as something bad, its just my opinion on what i saw from this thread, the mapsets officalized as add-ons, and other disscussion on the forum, but i think developeing team behind the Unity Port is searching for mapsets that have some dehacked modification, and a aesthetic quality more in line with the original design, right now.

If you look to the official add-ons, they have maps that could totally replace some of the original maps of Doom. Maps on Double Impact are just really similar to those found on UD Ep.1, but harder and with designs more in line with all the years of the doom modding community. The same apply to maps on Deathless, follow the aesthetic of the original maps, and all the designing philosofy behind No End In Sight and BTSX is the same as The Way ID Did. Not to mention that BTSX both episodes has original custom music for all their maps. Those mapsets, except for Double Impact, are made by the same team or members of the same team of mappers.
REKKR and Doom Zero on the other hand, achieved the same kind of designing philosophy by their own, and add the dehacking that made them quite different right out of the bat.

The mapset you made guys is really good, as i had a blast playing it, but i think that the Doomnity port philosohy is to works as a right out of the bat working option with some quality of life improvement, and as a showcase of the better the Doom community has to offer after 27 years of mapping and modding.

And your mapset, being designed by console speedruners with, probably, speedrunning in mind, doesn't seems to be representative of the community as, speedrunning in general, is just one part of it.

The lack of a dehacked patch or a DMAPINFO lump that add automap names or other quality of life imrpovements, the lack of original music and borrowing much of it content from other community made mapsets along with the lack of story, doesn't differentiate this mapsets much from other mapsets pre-2010.

Hope i am wrong, i'm just another player and member of the forum, a nobody that knows nothing about the developeing team criteria for choosing mapsets, and i really hope this mapset receive the attention it deserves as you guys made something really good on the abstract design aesthetic side of the spectrum, something not seen much lately.

In the end, you had fun with it. That is all we really cared about, is for people to enjoy our wad and have fun with it. Though I will note, speedrunning was in our mind when making it, but we really wanted each map to be fun with good combat. That was our #1 thing. (except for map 14's void glide. Wanted a small nod to E2M6 lol)

You are right about the DMAPINFO lump, having that would have actually been nice. That, and lack of original music is honestly due to lack of knowledge. I didn't know how to use SLADE very well until we started doing this project, and I didn't look into the DMAPINFO lump, was more worried about making the wad itself look and play good. 

Your feedback is honestly great. It only makes the next project even better. :) Glad you had fun!

17 hours ago, THiEF said:

So since idgames released it a couple days early we might as well go ahead and release it. 

Introducing Project: Unity! A full 32 map megawad for Doom 2 that a group of us in the Unity speedrunning community worked on.

We started this project back in December and decided we should throw together a wad just for fun, but then it turned into this awesome project that we put alot of work into. We really hope you guys enjoy this map set.

Notes: Compatible with all source ports including Unity. All maps made in vanilla doom 2 format. Download below from either the google drive link, or the zip file. Your choice. Feel free to join our Discord! Link will be provided below. Link to the speedrun leaderboards for this WAD on the Unity port will also be linked below.

Please do not download the version above, it is not the final version. This one is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TGAlYG6WonYSR5mhhUKqnXO341tY2Yt4/view?usp=sharing

https://discord.com/invite/CaxmcJkv4d

https://www.speedrun.com/doom_unity_ce#Project_Unity

ProjectUnity.zip

Title.png

Credits.png

Paranoid.png

City of Sin.png

Hecktown.png

THiEvery.png

Hey, nice aesthetic. LOTS OF RED

Quick question: 

Has Bethesda/id Software given up on adding new community made PWADS/Megawads to the Unity port of Doom 1/2? They haven't added anything new in a while and I've gotten a bit concerned about this.

Just now, El Franko said:

Quick question: 

Has Bethesda/id Software given up on adding new community made PWADS/Megawads to the Unity port of Doom 1/2? They haven't added anything new in a while and I've gotten a bit concerned about this.

And no, I have not payed attention to anything on this thread. I'm honestly too lazy to do it. 

29 minutes ago, El Franko said:

I've gotten a bit concerned about this.

I’m honestly too lazy to do it.

Must not have been that concerned then.

4 hours ago, El Franko said:

Quick question: 

On 3/27/2021 at 5:44 AM, sponge said:

Hi all! I've been keeping tabs on the thread, but don't have too much to add in terms of future plans. All the feedback is appreciated and acknowledged though. There are more add-ons planned, but the timing might not be as regular.

On 4/14/2021 at 7:15 PM, P41R47 said:

If you look to the official add-ons, they have maps that could totally replace some of the original maps of Doom.

Broadly (meaning I'm not talking about Project Unity), this seems like a product of the constraints they are currently working with, rather than the result of an explicit directive for "maps that could replace some of the original maps of Doom." 

It's a distinction that matters for those who might want to forecast what they include next.

edit: looking at that quote, I think you misinterpreted me

36 minutes ago, rd. said:

Broadly (meaning I'm not talking about Project Unity), this seems like a product of the constraints they are currently working with, rather than the result of an explicit directive for "maps that could replace some of the original maps of Doom." 

It's a distinction that matters for those who might want to forecast what they include next.

Glad i'm not the only one that notice it.

A good candidate would be D2 In Spain Only... main problem with this one, business wise, is the risk of it seen/taken as culturally insulting.

So yeah, taking the Id approach of design, adding modern sensibilities like interconnected areas is the way to go for being accepted.

Oh, and a good dehacked patch that add something useful surely could help even more.
No surprise that most of the project officialized come from the DTWID team of mappers, except for Revae and DASI-I.

15 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Glad i'm not the only one that notice it.

A good candidate would be D2 In Spain Only... main problem with this one, business wise, is the risk of it seen/taken as culturally insulting.

So yeah, taking the Id approach of design, adding modern sensibilities like interconnected areas is the way to go for being accepted.

Oh, and a good dehacked patch that add something useful surely could help even more.
No surprise that most of the project officialized come from the DTWID team of mappers, except for Revae and DASI-I.

D2ISO can easily have the spanish joke stuff removed and made more in-line with the other official add-ons, as its just the TWID team making more maps, but being silly aboiut the whole thing this time. I'd prefer a 'serious' version myself, im not really keen on 'silly' in my Doom.

11 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

D2ISO can easily have the spanish joke stuff removed and made more in-line with the other official add-ons, as its just the TWID team making more maps, but being silly aboiut the whole thing this time. I'd prefer a 'serious' version myself, im not really keen on 'silly' in my Doom.

well, being one of the few quality serious joke megawads we get in a while, i prefer it as it is.

There are plenty of serious mapsets out there, but just a few of them are a real challenge but also damn funny.

Now, if we need to focus on the design characteristics similar to TWID team, Sinergy and Baculus by @Crunchynut44 are really good at it, especially Sinergy that is a finished product.

On 4/14/2021 at 4:11 PM, THiEF said:

We do plan to try and get it on the Unity port.

Sometimes, I love being proved wrong, sometimes...

38 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

well, being one of the few quality serious joke megawads we get in a while, i prefer it as it is.

There are plenty of serious mapsets out there, but just a few of them are a real challenge but also damn funny.

I do understand that, but corporate entities are...extremely picky, to say the least. D2ISO is meant to be a take on an unauthorised spanish bootleg right? Bethesda's legal teams likely don't want anything at all to do with that, even as a joke (legal people are notorious for lacking humour), and being a wad not actually made by a spanish team of modders, it could definitely be seen by someone as making fun of spanish people pirating things, which is a PR headache if even one person complains. All the spanish text in it also is a problem for others, as not everyone can read it. I don't know if the other addons are translated in other regions, but I'd say it would be required to change all the text back to english. The whole thing has to be sterilised and safe as possible on a legal basis.

I actually left my job in game development because of the sheer amount of 'playing it safe' that was growing in the company I worked for, once it started affecting my everyday life.

40 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

Sometimes, I love being proved wrong, sometimes...

I wonder how the Unity team looks at it. So dat they look for wads that have been out some while but also gotten recognition for it's quality.

Project Unity has working for it that it's optimized for the Unity port. But being a very recent release, it isnt recognized yet as a quality mapset.

Maybe that is working against the Project Unity team, i am not sure. But it could be one reason.

Project Unity is good but i don't like the new sounds. What's D2ISO? Does that thing really exist? I can't find it.

Edit: found it here at DW it's a RC.

Edited by drfrag

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

I do understand that, but corporate entities are...extremely picky, to say the least. D2ISO is meant to be a take on an unauthorised spanish bootleg right? Bethesda's legal teams likely don't want anything at all to do with that, even as a joke (legal people are notorious for lacking humour), and being a wad not actually made by a spanish team of modders, it could definitely be seen by someone as making fun of spanish people pirating things, which is a PR headache if even one person complains. All the spanish text in it also is a problem for others, as not everyone can read it. I don't know if the other addons are translated in other regions, but I'd say it would be required to change all the text back to english. The whole thing has to be sterilised and safe as possible on a legal basis.

I actually left my job in game development because of the sheer amount of 'playing it safe' that was growing in the company I worked for, once it started affecting my everyday life.

what you said is exactly the same that i said on the first post you quoted, so i get your point and thats why i said that D2ISO is a great candidate but, unfortunately, i don't think the publisher will take the risk of having problems with it.

Changing D2ISO jokes is literaly changing almost all the whole mapset, and since it is one of the few serious joke mapsets out there, its better to leave it as it is, for me.

5 minutes ago, drfrag said:

What's D2ISO? Does that thing really exist? I can't find it.

Doom 2 In Spanish Only

19 hours ago, rd. said:

looking at that quote, I think you misinterpreted me

constraints or directive? whats the difference? the team behind Unity port is looking for quality mapsets that has recognition far more than only inside the community.

Being at the same quality, design wise, to those of the IWADs is probably just the minimun pre-requisite for being a candidate.

As the previous statement could led to missintepretations, as we all know that pretty much most PWADs cacowarded are on par or above the quality of the IWADs, not all of them follow the same aesthetic design.

Thats it, maps that could replace some maps on the IWADs, quality wise and aesthetic wise, at least.

On 4/17/2021 at 4:32 AM, Redneckerz said:

I wonder how the Unity team looks at it. So dat they look for wads that have been out some while but also gotten recognition for it's quality.

Project Unity has working for it that it's optimized for the Unity port. But being a very recent release, it isnt recognized yet as a quality mapset.

Maybe that is working against the Project Unity team, i am not sure. But it could be one reason.

Heh in terms of "how the team looks at it" it's literally myself doing the curating. I don't know much of the community output past the really old stuff like Hell Revealed, so I've been looking at Cacowards, community suggestions, and talking to folks I know. I wouldn't read into the tea leaves of previous releases too much, I'm not really looking for episode replacements or similar themes to the original game or whatever, it's typically about what looks cool, doesn't have a huge author list/contactable authors, and what doesn't use a ton of Heretic/other game assets. Stuff like BTSX is great because the new palette gives it its own style, and REKKR is like a brand new Doom engine game (once DEH support became viable)

Frankly, most of the releases nowadays are far and away better than the original IWADs. D2ISO is cool too but I don't think the joke would make any sense outside of DW heh.

Ok, I feel kinda dumb for asking this, but when you download the custom add-ons, do you have to have the corresponding iwad to run the custom add-on? (IE: you have to use doom.wad for Sigil and doom2.wad for No Rest For The Living)

57 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

Ok, I feel kinda dumb for asking this, but when you download the custom add-ons, do you have to have the corresponding iwad to run the custom add-on? (IE: you have to use doom.wad for Sigil and doom2.wad for No Rest For The Living)

If you can download it, it will run. Addons that need a specific IWAD will not be listed in the opposing game.

6 hours ago, sponge said:

[...]

In short, both Doom the Way id Did and Doom 2 the Way id Did are excluded, if I understand you right.

As for Doom 2 in Spain Only, that clone of The Abyss from Duke Nukem 3D is not exactly helping, either, I guess.

2 hours ago, Lizardcommando said:

Yes and no.

Yes in that for your example, Sigil is only for Ultimate Doom while NRFTL is only for Doom II. Deathless and No End in Sight are also only for Ult. Doom.

No in that all other add-ons are available for both. You can play Plutonia with Ultimate Doom, or Double Impact with Doom II. As always, see wiki.

8 hours ago, Diabolución said:
15 hours ago, sponge said:

[...]

In short, both Doom the Way id Did and Doom 2 the Way id Did are excluded, if I understand you right.

DTWID if not for the total count of people involved on them, maybe because some mappers are not around anymore, i think.

Not checked all, but i think that there could be one or two that are out of range.

On the other hand, DTWID2 was made almost by all the actual members of BTSX team, so they have projects actually up there.

Only the 1st secret map was made by a mapper that may be out of range, Megalyth, in cooperation with Xaser.

And beyond the amazing quality D2ISO has, as Sponge said, the joke may not be grasped outside of the community, matbe leading to something worst :/

A shame for sure, as i sincerely love it.

Now if we look to the mapsets that get an award last year, Three's a Crowd by @Scypek2 is the obvious choice.

Only one mapper, music by three other members of the community that can be asked for inclusion, only one track being a no-no (head like a hole by NIN) that can be easily changed, and just a bunch of textures that could be changed if needed.

25 Years on Earth would be great, but the soundtrack is a big nope. But well, it could be changed, i think.

The last one is CPD, great limit removing mapset. Only one author for all the maps, but songs for different sources could be problematic. But since the author is around it could be asked for changing it.

I kinda want the combined version of Master Levels from the PS3 release added as an alternative to the one by one approach. Scuba Steve already made widescreen assets for it (which im using for my ML upgrade pack) and it would let people obtain a combined wad without either extracting the PS3 version or using an obscure Doom port to build one. Would be best to release alongside a new addon though.

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

I kinda want the combined version of Master Levels from the PS3 release added as an alternative to the one by one approach. Scuba Steve already made widescreen assets for it (which im using for my ML upgrade pack) and it would let people obtain a combined wad without either extracting the PS3 version or using an obscure Doom port to build one. Would be best to release alongside a new addon though.

Totally, since the Doomnity port supports DMAPINFO, it could be made into a single wad experience, defining the bossactions that may be needed on the DMAPINFO to sort the maps out appropiatelly to be played continuously.