Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominick

Can you put Blender maps in Doom builder?

Hello Doomworld it's me DOOMinick again just wanting to know can you add maps from blender and somehow import them in Doom builder cus I saw a picture of some making a sky box with a blender map with a sky box in it

You can't "import" anything in Doom Builder. It only works with .wad files and so you'd have to find a converter that will convert your blender file into .wad. I highly doubt anyone has created such a program though. Even the more modern formats such as UDMF are nothing like standard 3D data. They are still built on two-dimensional blueprints with referenced sector floor and ceiling heights, rather than vertices. As far as I know things like slopes, polys, and platforms are all "grafted on" and still do not exist in the .wad "as is." So for example a floating square platform isn't stored as 8 vertices, it's actually a normal square sector in the void with a special action to "drop" that shape into another part of the map. So every time that kind of structure is encountered in Blender, the converter would have to go adding reference sectors in the void, which is a major can of unstable worms.

Suffice to say, it would be a huge amount of work, and it would never be 100% effective because many things possible in Blender are not possible even in the more beefy Doom engines.

If all you need is a skybox, forget about Blender. Do it the right way:

53 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

You can't "import" anything in Doom Builder. It only works with .wad files and so you'd have to find a converter that will convert your blender file into .wad. I highly doubt anyone has created such a program though. Even the more modern formats such as UDMF are nothing like standard 3D data. They are still built on two-dimensional blueprints with referenced sector floor and ceiling heights, rather than vertices. As far as I know things like slopes, polys, and platforms are all "grafted on" and still do not exist in the .wad "as is." So for example a floating square platform isn't stored as 8 vertices, it's actually a normal square sector in the void with a special action to "drop" that shape into another part of the map. So every time that kind of structure is encountered in Blender, the converter would have to go adding reference sectors in the void, which is a major can of unstable worms.

Suffice to say, it would be a huge amount of work, and it would never be 100% effective because many things possible in Blender are not possible even in the more beefy Doom engines.

If all you need is a skybox, forget about Blender. Do it the right way:

Can you aleast put blender models in Slade3?you know like characters

If you can convert your blender models into .obj files (which you can for the most part) then yes you can import static models and even view them in UDB/GZDB. Using a pk3/folder format and models.def lump.

If you are wanting to use them as enemies models or weapons then ideally you will have to convert them to a format that allows animations. MD2/MD3 being the main examples. ( A plugin would be required).

And as a tiny but extra info for fun, you can make models in UDB with 3d floors/sectors and export them as .obj files which work in engines like unity sound.. Even go as far as to export whole levels. 

19 minutes ago, Liberation said:

If you can convert your blender models into .obj files (which you can for the most part) then yes you can import static models and even view them in UDB/GZDB. Using a pk3/folder format and models.def lump.

If you are wanting to use them as enemies models or weapons then ideally you will have to convert them to a format that allows animations. MD2/MD3 being the main examples. ( A plugin would be required).

And as a tiny but extra info for fun, you can make models in UDB with 3d floors/sectors and export them as .obj files which work in engines like unity sound.. Even go as far as to export whole levels. 

How can I get MD2/MD3?

For GZDoom in UDMF, I do believe that obj models are meant mainly for terrain. They are imported/exported from the File toolbar. I've never seen a pwad making use of that, though.

As to MD3 models, check this or this or this out. If Blender does not work for you, some people are using Misfit Cubed and/or NOESIS. There are some good pwads with models, for example Enjay's Gene-Tech.

For skyboxes, as they were done for Doom3 and on, check out this. Specify the textures in GLDEFS and set the sky in MAPINFO. For example, there are some nice skyboxes here and here.

Edited by Kappes Buur

10 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

For GZDoom in UDMF, I do believe that obj models are meant mainly for terrain. They are imported/exported from the File toolbar. I've never seen a pwad making use of that, though.

You will start seeing it a bit more often soon.

21 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

Lullaby makes excellent use of feature to export geometry to a model.