Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai

How many PWADS do you have to complete to not be considered a poser

Joking of course, but just wanted to know how many wads do I need to complete/play, to grant me the elusive status of DOOM connoisseur

So far I completed/played:

1. all IWADS,

2. Scythe (with saves)

3. Scythe 2 (with saves)

4. Valiant

5. Ancient Aliens

6. Good chunk of Alien Vendeta (gave up at map 25, but I´ll try it out again without saves)

7. Going down (saves)

8. Plutonia 2 (saves)

9. Three is a Crowd

10. btsx episode 1

10. 1/2 of Eviternity

11. Japanese Comunity Project

12. Sigil

So far I´m playing through Memento Mori 2 and enjoying my time so far :)

9 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

To obtain the rank of "Doom Connoisseur", you must complete a pacifist run of NUTS.WAD while standing on your head naked, clutching the little plastic bust of John Romero's head from the Collector's Edition of Sigil between your butt-cheeks.

Sounds kinda tough, is co-op permited (supposing you have to jerk each other off, of course)?

You have most of the Wads, but to become a true paragon of knowledge you must track down obscure trivia about Doom on the net.

Start in the 90's and work your way up. You must memorise it all. Watch a ton of Doomtube stuff, get into source ports, editing, making maps etc, etc. Eventually, after several years, you'll be knowledgeable enough to call yourself a layman, maybe intermediate level.

Failing that you can attempt to hack your join date and set it to 99'. People will simply assume you are a venerable zen-master of Doom, right up there with Romero and co. They won't question you, they will stand in awe and blindly agree with almost everything you say. This is the top of the pyramid, if you get there you're practically a demi-god.

Or you can just ignore all of that and be like the rest of us.

Most people are here because they love everything Doom, not because we're old and wise. In my case I am kind of old so I have an edge, I know a lot of irrelevant crap about Doom but that's because I've been around since Doom came out. I still learn new things about Doom now and then.

That said, if you think that makes me wise and stuff then I won't argue with it.

I'm also offering a once in a life time chance to teach you the 7th step to mastery, after a few years of doing chores for me. Of course there is the chance I may perish from old age before that, but think of the wonders you will learn.

It's easy actually, you just need to play all of a little colletion of pwads.

I trink it's called "Maximum Doom" 

gotta beat No End in Sight and Epic 2 from pistol start next!

just kidding, yr one of us already, and it doesn't matter if you've only beaten stuff by using saves - almost everyone saves casually, including speedrunners doing preparation

Unless you play through the entirety of Maximum Doom, I'm going to scoff at you.

Wait, I haven't done that either. OH NO

31 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

poser is such a dumb, gatekeepy term.

do you play doom? you're a doomer. end of story.

nice new avatar pic, girl ;)

ASide from that, to @MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai you already played ton of mapsets that everyone love, too.

Now go into the wilderness of /idgames and found one almost only you love ;)

1 minute ago, roadworx said:

you need to inject doom source code directly into your jugular 

Coincidentally that is how I spend my Saturday nights.

1 hour ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

Oh man this is gonna be fun ;)

Found a little gem

obrazek.png.cbd65351d631b55b50edb3fe516ad66a.png

The 90's just exploded in my face and I am not sure how I feel about that.

If you haven't completed the entire /idgames archives from A to Z on UV, you are nothing to me you filthy casual.

8 minutes ago, Endless said:

A to Z

So, you're saying you haven't played all numeric wads???

All of them, and if you have ever saved even once, or started with anything but a pistol while playing any of them ever even casually this means you are no longer eligible.

4 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

I pretty much came here to say this, but also enjoyed reading the more humorous posts, lol.

However many I've played, 'cuz I'm no poser! I swear on any deity (or similar) of your choosing that I know what I'm talking about, honest! GIV MEH LEIK!!!

Jokes aside, I do not believe there is such a thing as a Doom poser (now I have to emphasize the word like Tim Rogers. Thanks for that, @LordEntr0py :P)

Perhaps a particularly obnoxious instance of posturing on the part of an obviously ignorant user might cause me to reconsider the above statement, but my experience on DW has been so overwhelmingly positive thus far that I feel confident in that assertion.

Though, if anyone's a poser its me, since I feel free to ramble at length about Doom level design despite not having completed or even meaningfully tried the following classics: Plutonia, Evilution, any important '90s shit, Scythe, Scythe 2, The Mucus Flow, Valiant (played about ~60%), Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, Sigil and the majority of Cacoward winners in general. Instead of doing any of that, I sunk 60+ hours replaying No End In Sight over and over like a loon. Regrets? None. Its not as though NEIS is living rent-free in the deepest recesses of my obsession-prone psyche or anything...

7 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

The Major speaks the truth.

You’re Are all posers !! Have anyone ELSE completed FOOM , the text based adventure ?! No !! I am the TRUE DOOM-GOD !! MUAJAJAJAJA

i haven’t even beaten most of the Emmy award winning megawads, though I’ve at least dipped my toe in.. there may be some I’ve never even booted up. I spend most of my Doom time mapping and deathmatchin’..

Well, I would say that at least one of each engine: One vanilla compatible, one limit removing, a boom compatible map set, a MBF wad, and a (G)(L)Zdoom map set. That way you have used all the engines and learned a bit of how they work.

11 hours ago, Clippy said:

I was close a few times but it always falls out :(

such a butt-clenching map, isn't it