Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LateToDOOM2020

DOOM Poster Details on the Monsters in it

So I was looking at this poster and thinking to my self....  What are those demons? At first i just assumed imps but they lack specific things like spikes on them and imps don't even have horns. Though they do shoot fireballs out of their hands as seen on the right side of the poster. Also I assume this is an older poster from the 90's so I'm guessing it relates to DOOM I or DOOM II. I haven't finished doom II yet so I guess it could be a new monster but I just don't know I have never seen it.
Also I notice the gun is some sort of rifle not seen on the original doom but i think I'm looking too much into this poster.
So what is it on this poster? Is this a monster within doom or is this some random depiction of doom? 

155cd047bf10bc10946e4d4a1ede8505.jpg

It's a stylized picture of Doom. And no, those monsters never actually appear in Doom. I always kind of thought they were a cross between imps, Barons of Hell, and the Cyberdemon. But no, they never show up, it's an artists interpretation. I had that poster hanging on my wall for years when I was a kid and I examined it closely.

Honestly the thing that bugged me the most was that it looks like the magazine on his gun is backwards and angled too far to the right. And no, the sub-machinegun in the picture never shows up either.

It was made by Don Ivan Punchatz, who did quite a bit of sci-fi and fantasy art. And he did it well. But he had his own style, so it wasn't always 100% faithful to the source material. Still, it's a great looking piece of work for a videogame and a poster. It's certainly iconic.

To me they are at least inspired by the Barons, even if they are somewhat stylised. And I just realised something. I have been playing this game pretty much since the day it was released and I only just now noticed the "baron" directly below Doom guy has a metal launcher on his arm like the Cyberdemon. Behold my elite observational skills!

1 hour ago, LateToDOOM2020 said:

Also I assume this is an older poster from the 90's so I'm guessing it relates to DOOM I or DOOM II.

It is a poster of the original Doom box art.

12 hours ago, Jello said:

Honestly the thing that bugged me the most was that it looks like the magazine on his gun is backwards and angled too far to the right.

That bugs me now! I did not notice that. 

11 hours ago, Murdoch said:

I only just now noticed the "baron" directly below Doom guy has a metal launcher on his arm like the Cyberdemon.

This kind of makes me think they are more similar to barons and you don't see any of their legs to conform the similarity except those horns.

Yea this poser makes me over think it!

They look closer to barons of hell than imps, and also that mini cyberdemon up front. I always just figured they weren't particularly based on any of the demons, maybe the artist wasn't given a point of reference for them, or maybe they were only given a point of reference for the barons.

I always thought those were Barons of Hell. They look similar enough.

image.png.a2b5c5e6b398d1c95a8742a67e7acab0.png

Not to mention they bleed green blood, just like the demons on the poster.

155cd047bf10bc10946e4d4a1ede8505.jpg.03faacdf339412447a0a69fe0f1a1789.jpg

I do notice the gun barrel at the bottom, which implies a baron of hell is wielding a gun. A chaingunner with the health of a baron is the stuff of nightmares.

My guess is that the poster was done in mid-production before the monster designs were finalized and that it was too expensive or trivial to remake more accurately. 

1 hour ago, OpenRift said:

Not to mention they bleed green blood, just like the demons on the poster.

Not in the vanilla game, where every monster bleeds red. :P

I just noticed the blood on the horns of the imp/baron/whatever. Clearly it got there by the creature shoving its face in some hapless Marine's entrails headbutting just far enough away for the tips to catch flesh and repeating as if at a heavy metal concert. Death by a thousand headbangs, what a way to go.

4 hours ago, LateToDOOM2020 said:

That bugs me now! I did not notice that. 

This kind of makes me think they are more similar to barons and you don't see any of their legs to conform the similarity except those horns.

Yea this poser makes me over think it!

I'm sorry that I pointed out the magazine. You'll never un-see it now.

I'm not sure why I mentioned imps in my first post, I think it's because the one on the right is throwing a fireball, so for some reason that always kind of reminded me of an imp. But yeah, I always assumed they were a weird cross between the Baron and the Cyberdemon, due to two of them having a gun implanted on their arm. But if they were inspired by any enemy, it would be the Baron. And maybe Mr. Punchatz was just inspired by a generic idea of a demon. And maybe that's what iD asked of him.

2 hours ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

I just noticed the blood on the horns of the imp/baron/whatever. Clearly it got there by the creature shoving its face in some hapless Marine's entrails headbutting just far enough away for the tips to catch flesh and repeating as if at a heavy metal concert. Death by a thousand headbangs, what a way to go.

Yeah, never really thought about it that much, I just thought it kind of looked cool. But there's at least four demons with blood on their horns in the picture. Although if you look at the spacing between them, they could probably bring them down on a human and get them between the clavicle and scapula on both sides. Might not be fatal, but it would certainly put a damper on someone's day.

2 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Dramatization of the start of E2M9 in co-op

Very Odd I have played through DOOM1 and never seen that level before but I can get the reference after starting off with a pistol and being chased by barons! 

I guess its the Un-Official Monster of Doom ! A mix between everything. 

4 minutes ago, LateToDOOM2020 said:

Very Odd I have played through DOOM1 and never seen that level before

Its the secret map of Episode 2, you can access it from E2M5, hidden behind a wall you can walk through on the right side of the map.

16 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Not in the vanilla game, where every monster bleeds red. :P

I mean if you look at the corpse, it sure looks like it.

image.png.b3fa86c84704ed18bdcf0059d2ad3fd7.png

32 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

I mean if you look at the corpse, it sure looks like it.

I agree! I was just referring to the vanilla bug that makes some monsters bleed the wrong color.

5 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I agree! I was just referring to the vanilla bug that makes some monsters bleed the wrong color.

I know, but that's less of a bug and more of an oversight.